[LON-CAPA-dev] some 1.4 suggested priorities

Helen Keefe lon-capa-dev@mail.lon-capa.org
Tue, 11 Jan 2005 11:11:21 -0500

Hi,
I agree with Gerd.  We need to standardize documentation process and
have some interface standards.  I am hoping that the Usability Project
can help us with both these items.  However, I'm not sure when we will
know about funding.
Also, we need to improve some of the "communication" features within
lon-capa.
One of the main reasons to use the web is to communicate.  Teaching &
learning with the web requires improved communication capabilities
among students and faculty.  A significant problem seems to be that
faculty are not aware of the communication capabilities the web offers
them.  Perhaps we could make this more explicit.

Helen
On Jan 11, 2005, at 10:53 AM, Gerd Kortemeyer wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I assume that tomorrow is a regular staff meeting, and that the 1.4
> priority meeting will be held when I am not teaching. In general, I
> find this list too problem-heavy.
>
> Not in this list of programming task, but very important:
> DOCUMENTATION and consistent interface formulations. In the workshops
> I gave during this conference, it was very clear that people have no
> idea regarding the power they already have. We can keep on developing
> features, but if people don't know they exist or how to use them ...
>
> On Jan 11, 2005, at 10:39 AM, Guy Albertelli II wrote:
>

>> 1) 'OR' for possible answers.
>> 2) 'OR' for possible answers and give format so that coding can
>> proceed.
>> 3) '.explain' extension or equivalent
>>       Functionality:
>>       (If a resource points to a .explain file, one can, with special
>>         permission, access a complete explanation (and worked out
>> solution?)
>>           that uses that person's particular variables)
>>    Only possible if allowed by author of resource.
>
> Why not use the answer functionality?
>
> 3) fix PARM such that one can set weekly-repeating deadlines, and have
> intervals for everything (is due one hour after it opens, answer shows
> 10 minutes after due date) - setting PARMs is very hard for real
> classes.
>
>> 4) Moving resources and keeping metadata (needed for good houskeeping
>> of
>>    resources and libraries, before we have a real mess on our hands.
>>    on should be able to 'move' a resources, This would automatically
>>    obsolete the original one and remove it from one's directory)
>> 5) Grade book based on CHRT with Grade Extrapolator using student
>> imput.
>
> Are we duplicating SPRS? I think this is a hopeless task given the
> complicated ways people grade.
>
> 5) Implement at least one of the three types of "groups" we identified.
>

>> 6) Fix Clickable Gnuplot so that region (rectangle or polygon) can be
>>    defined in Script
>> 7) bug 3529 grade distribution for a sequence (Points, not correct
>> 'parts')
>> 8) Hiding or Not Hiding folders upon creation in DOCS
>> 9) bug 3578 Basic course template(s) for training
>>
>> 10) bug 3625 have the character sizes in RandomLabel adjustable
>>    (could use +1, +2 or -3 for increasing or decreasing from current
>>     values)
>
> 11) Consistent contextual plugable links to PREFs for things like
>
> * WYSIWYG editor
> * Recent roles
> * Discussion settings
>
> 12) Library for &EXT access
> 13) Development of language for conditionals and improvement of
> student interface
>
> - Gerd.

Helen Keefe
ITR Project Coordinator
Michigan State University
Laboratory for Instructional Technology in Education
112 North Kedzie Labs
East Lansing, MI  48824
517-432-9867
517-432-5653 (fax)