[LON-CAPA-dev] 2.0 email draft

Guy Albertelli II lon-capa-dev@mail.lon-capa.org
Wed, 17 Aug 2005 16:56:57 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the suggestions

> P.S. One thing that I know is still missing from v 2.0.0 ....
> A CHECKRPMS.rhel is needed that calls up2date via CLI (I know the long term
> plan is a unified CHECKRPMS).

With no known RHEL users I can wait until 2.0.1 for that.

Let me know if there is anything else. I plan on sending it out around
8 p.m. tonight.

New Version 2.0.0 Released

Notable Changes:
- things should be faster
- lots of documentation updates
- /etc/init.d/loncontrol reload (tells lonc & lond to reread hosts.tab)
- internal caching updates faster
- bridge tasks
- What's New page for Course Coordinators
- SPRS is faster
- Cut, Copy, and Paste items in DOCS
- score upload allows more formats and upload by ID
- IMS import of WebCT 4
- New Role 'Assistant Author' for authors that shouldn't have access to
    anything outside of CSTR
- PARM screens has been reorganized and made easier to use
- DOCS has ability to recover from accidental resource removal
- ability to automate course creation
- format a number to n significant figures
- scantron support of number and letter formats
- scantron support of numerical CODES and of lengths other than 6
- <m> tag output configurable and authors can optionally force the
   use of a specific display mechanism
- display partially correct problems improved
- trackstudent can now show full student history
- public browsing users can now interact with all types of problems
- IMS export enabled
- Upload of HTML files to DOCS prompts for embedded images, objects etc.
- lots of bugfixes

To install this update:

1) You will need to be running Fedora Core 2 or 3 or 4, RHEL ES 4, Suse 9.2
   (SuSE 9.3, and SLES 9 support is coming soon.)

2) If running Fedora, use yum to update your machine and then install the
      LONCAPA-prerequisites (if not already installed).

yum update
yum install LONCAPA-prerequisites

    If running SuSe, use you to update your machine.
    if running RHEL, use up2date to update your machine.

3) Download the new LON-CAPA tarball from
wget http://install.lon-capa.org/versions/loncapa-2.0.0.tar.gz

and untar it

tar xzvf loncapa-2.0.0.tar.gz

4) Run the UPDATE script as root
cd loncapa-2.0.0
su
./UPDATE

5) restart the Lon-CAPA system services
/etc/rc.d/init.d/loncontrol stop
/etc/rc.d/init.d/loncontrol start

6) restart the webserver:

Fedora/Red Hat Enterprise:
/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd stop
/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd start

SuSe:
/etc/init.d/apache stop
/etc/init.d/apache start

----NOTES
1) Many questions are answered at http://help.lon-capa.org
2) Defects reports, and enhancements requests can be entered at
   http://bugs.lon-capa.org