[LON-CAPA-dev] Re: SuSE installation

Guy Albertelli II lon-capa-dev@mail.lon-capa.org
Tue, 7 Sep 2004 18:47:09 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Martin,

> > I will now try to install LON-CAPA-1.2 on this machine. Stay tuned.
>
> Ok. Here is the contents of the WARNINGS file after running UPDATE:
>
> **** ERROR **** CVS source file does not exist: ../../loncom/hosts.tab and neither does target: /home/httpd/lonTabs/hosts.tab
> **** ERROR **** CVS source file does not exist: ../../loncom/domain.tab and neither does target: /home/httpd/lonTabs/domain.tab
> **** ERROR **** httpd.conf has an overlapping definition of ScriptAlias (it is incorrectly set to "/srv/www/cgi-bin/").
> This conflicts with loncapa_apache.conf.
> **** ERROR **** httpd.conf has an overlapping definition of DocumentRoot (it is incorrectly set to "/srv/www/htdocs").
> This conflicts with loncapa_apache.conf.
>
> Updating access count storage.  This can take quite a while.
> Getting directory listing.
> Updating 0 files.  Each '.' represents 20 files processed.
>
> Completed!
>
> Updating yum and MySQL configuration files
> **** WARNING: gnuplot-3.7.1-5 does not appear to be installed.
> **** WARNING: LON-CAPA-systemperl does not appear to be installed.
> **** WARNING: perl-suidperl does not appear to be installed.
> **** WARNING: ^bzip2-libs does not appear to be installed.
> Checking to be sure the Network Time Protocol is running properly.
> For more information on ntpd please see http://www.ntp.org/
> ntp is not installed.
> **** ERROR **** Missing /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
>

> The first two errors appear to be normal: those two files could not
> possibly exist since LON-CAPA had never been installed on that machine
> (I am wondering though, why this is marked as an ERROR rather than a
> "remark").

Yeah they should be ignored for now.

> The next two errors refer to SuSE's default location of the httpd
> files. I am assuming that editing /etc/httpd/httpd.conf and setting
>
> DocumentRoot "/home/httpd/html"
>
> and
>
> ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/home/httpd/cgi-bin/"
>
> should solve this - correct? anything else that must be changed in
> httpd.conf?

Nah, you can actually comment out those variables, loncapa_apache.conf
sets them to the values we want.

> The 4 WARNING's I believe can all be ignored:
> - gnuplot-4.0.0 is installed
> - LON-CAPA-systemperl should not be required
> - suidperl is part of perl
> - bzip2 libraries are in bzip2 (remark: bzip2-libs was not listed as a
>   prerequisite).
>
> I am wondering why I got those warnings: distprobe sets the distribution
> to fedora2 (and that seemed to work because the Fedora version of
> CHECKRPMS got installed). But there must be something else that sets
> the distro (I am assuming that those WARNINGs should only be issued on
> a RH7.3 system not on Fedora 2).

Matthew's PIML's incorrectly problem for the distribution on their own
as opposed to using distprobe.

Feel free to fix his PIML's and/or smack him. :-)

> The ntp error can be ignored as well (the ntp package is called xntp on
> SuSE; probably for historic reasons; arrgh).
>
> The final Mysql ERROR: when I ran UPDATE I did not have a mysqld running.
> I actually had not configured mysql in any way.
> Can you please remind me what I have to do to set up mysql properly?

Errr I don't either. Reading the install.pl script in the
install_fedora tarball might elucidate some clarity in one of us.

Or we can wait till Matthew returns.

--
guy@albertelli.com  LON-CAPA Developer  0-7-3-4-