[LON-CAPA-dev] Re: automatic enrollment

Stuart Peter Raeburn lon-capa-dev@mail.lon-capa.org
Fri, 12 Mar 2004 16:11:07 -0500

Hon-Kie,

Good to hear that everything is working correctly now. Here is a brief note
of something you should be aware of:

1.  If you want course coordinators to be able to use Automated Enrollment
Manager when logged into your access servers you will need to replace
localenroll.pm on your access servers with your custom version (with run set
to 1).  However if you do that make sure that you also comment out the
command to run /home/httpd/perl/Autoenroll.pl in /etc/cron.d/loncapa on all
the access servers, otherwise at 1.30 am every day, Autoenroll.pl will be
executed on your library server, and also on all your access servers.  When
run as a cron job, you only want a single copy of Autoenroll to be running
(on your library server).

If you leave localenroll.pm unchanged on the access servers (i.e., as the
standard shipped version with run set to 0), then course coordinators will
need to be logged into the library server to see the link in the Enrollment
screen to the Automated Enrollment Manager web interface.

This will change with LON-CAPA 1.2, as calls to functions in localenroll.pm
will be mediated via lonc/lond such that access servers will call the
version of localenroll.pm on the home library server associated with a
course. Once 1.2 is released, localenroll.pm will no longer be needed on
access servers to allow the Automated Enrollment Manager web interface to be
used by Course Coordinators logged in to those servers.

Stuart