[LON-CAPA-dev] Weeeeee! ;)))

Jeremy Bowers lon-capa-dev@mail.lon-capa.org
Wed, 03 Mar 2004 09:35:35 -0500

Josh Tacey wrote:
> Yea, Virus time
>
> And MSU engineering services advice (yes I called them)

Interesting. On my bowersj2@msu.edu account, I got a totally different
virus. I'll not bother with attaching it, but I've compared the one from
"Felicia" with mine and it is definately not the same.

It also had much more exciting text attached to it:

------

Dear user of Msu.edu,

Your e-mail  account  will be  disabled because  of improper  using in next
three days, if you are still wishing  to use it,  please, resign your
account  information.

Advanced  details can be found in  attached  file.

Sincerely,
     The  Msu.edu team                          http://www.msu.edu

------

I'm thinking maybe they realized they don't have the English skills to
pull off such a long message (surely somewhere in the world there is a
virus writer who can also write in English?), so they shortened it in
later attacks.

Someone must have tuned one of the existing Windows viruses specifically
for MSU (and perhaps other schools? though I see nothing in the virus
binaries so it must be a backdoor-type), because while the "Felicia"
email (sorry, Felicia!) came from on campus according to the headers,
mine did not. Headers:

------