[LON-CAPA-dev] Exclamation marks on pages....

Gerd Kortemeyer lon-capa-dev@mail.lon-capa.org
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 11:42:00 -0500

Hi,

We had talked about the Bugzilla link in one of the developer meetings
a few weeks ago, where somebody suggested it ... I had the same concern
initially: why would I trust a software that has a link to a
bug-tracking system?

I came around when I noticed the "Report a bug" in the menus of
commercial software, and actually was frustrated by NOT finding one in
another system. Also, I was very annoyed in a faculty meeting where
faculty brought up bugs in the middle of an important meeting (this
happened twice now), and complained about this and that not working -
very public in front of chairs and deanlets. We pointed out that this
should go into Bugzilla. The standard reaction is: that is too
complicated. So we get smacked publicly with maximum damage.

Why not in the header? It's because I tried to pre-fill-in the
categories - note that some of the fields are already selected. Oddly
enough, I could not set the version via the query string. The standard
bodytag-routine does not have this parameter, and given how the number
of parameters to bodytag increased, it would now be the n-th parameter
down.

Things one could look at:

* switching this off in the production version. Not having the
respective entries in loncapa_apache.conf will make the boxes go away.
* currently this only shows for advanced users. One could decide that
only really really advanced users see them (domain coordinators, for
example)
* ...

- Gerd.