[LON-CAPA-dev] Crash Investigation

Guy Albertelli II lon-capa-dev@mail.lon-capa.org
Mon, 16 Feb 2004 17:52:49 -0500 (EST)

Hi Gaberiel,

> How can i investigate the cause of the following log entry?
> (attempting to trace the cause of a crash last night)
>
> lonnet.log

> Sun Feb 15 14:40:02 2004 (31528): Starting Shut down

There are 2 main possibilities for Apache children to shutdown

1) Each child exits after a certain number of requests (I think this
defaults to something in the 1000 range)

You chacke and see if you were getting a large number of requests and
what they were by checking the Apache access_log

/var/log/httpd/access_log

2) If Apache detects an 'Internal Server Error' we try to catch this
and print out a nice 'Hey Something went wrong page' and then we tell
the Apache chlid to shutdown. Also Apache will log an error message in
it's error_log file

/var/log/httpd/error_log

Let me know which of these looks like the reason.

Also to do online interogattion of what apache is doing

http://yourservername/server-status

Will show a list of all current and past apache children slots and
what they are doing.

--
guy@albertelli.com  LON-CAPA Developer  0-7-5-0-