Subject: [LON-CAPA-dev] some 1.4 suggested priorities

From: Guy Albertelli II <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 10:39:08 -0500 (EST)

1) 'OR' for possible answers.
2) 'OR' for possible answers and give format so that coding can proceed.
3) '.explain' extension or equivalent
      Functionality:
      (If a resource points to a .explain file, one can, with special
        permission, access a complete explanation (and worked out solution?)
          that uses that person's particular variables)
   Only possible if allowed by author of resource.
4) Moving resources and keeping metadata (needed for good houskeeping of
   resources and libraries, before we have a real mess on our hands.
   on should be able to 'move' a resources, This would automatically
   obsolete the original one and remove it from one's directory)
5) Grade book based on CHRT with Grade Extrapolator using student imput.
6) Fix Clickable Gnuplot so that region (rectangle or polygon) can be
   defined in Script
7) bug 3529 grade distribution for a sequence (Points, not correct 'parts')
8) Hiding or Not Hiding folders upon creation in DOCS
9) bug 3578 Basic course template(s) for training

10) bug 3625 have the character sizes in RandomLabel adjustable
   (could use +1, +2 or -3 for increasing or decreasing from current
    values)

-- 
[email-masked]  LON-CAPA Developer  0-7-3-2-

---

From: Gerd Kortemeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 10:53:59 -0500

Hi All,

I assume that tomorrow is a regular staff meeting, and that the 1.4 
priority meeting will be held when I am not teaching. In general, I 
find this list too problem-heavy.

Not in this list of programming task, but very important: DOCUMENTATION 
and consistent interface formulations. In the workshops I gave during 
this conference, it was very clear that people have no idea regarding 
the power they already have. We can keep on developing features, but if 
people don't know they exist or how to use them ...

>    Only possible if allowed by author of resource.

Why not use the answer functionality?

3) fix PARM such that one can set weekly-repeating deadlines, and have 
intervals for everything (is due one hour after it opens, answer shows 
10 minutes after due date) - setting PARMs is very hard for real 
classes.

> 5) Grade book based on CHRT with Grade Extrapolator using student 

Are we duplicating SPRS? I think this is a hopeless task given the 
complicated ways people grade.

5) Implement at least one of the three types of "groups" we identified.

>    (could use +1, +2 or -3 for increasing or decreasing from current

11) Consistent contextual plugable links to PREFs for things like

* WYSIWYG editor
* Recent roles
* Discussion settings
...

12) Library for &EXT access
13) Development of language for conditionals and improvement of student 
interface

- Gerd.

---

From: Helen Keefe <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 11:11:21 -0500

Hi,
I agree with Gerd.  We need to standardize documentation process and 
have some interface standards.  I am hoping that the Usability Project 
can help us with both these items.  However, I'm not sure when we will 
know about funding.
Also, we need to improve some of the "communication" features within 
lon-capa.
One of the main reasons to use the web is to communicate.  Teaching & 
learning with the web requires improved communication capabilities 
among students and faculty.  A significant problem seems to be that 
faculty are not aware of the communication capabilities the web offers 
them.  Perhaps we could make this more explicit.

Helen
On Jan 11, 2005, at 10:53 AM, Gerd Kortemeyer wrote:

> Not in this list of programming task, but very important: 
> DOCUMENTATION and consistent interface formulations. In the workshops 
> I gave during this conference, it was very clear that people have no 
> idea regarding the power they already have. We can keep on developing 
> features, but if people don't know they exist or how to use them ...
>
> 13) Development of language for conditionals and improvement of 
> student interface
>
> - Gerd.
>
> _______________________________________________
> LON-CAPA-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://mail.lon-capa.org/mailman/listinfo/lon-capa-dev
>
Helen Keefe
ITR Project Coordinator
Michigan State University
Laboratory for Instructional Technology in Education
112 North Kedzie Labs
East Lansing, MI  48824
517-432-9867
517-432-5653 (fax)
[email-masked]
http://www.lon-capa.org

---

From: Guy Albertelli II <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 11:32:51 -0500 (EST)

Hi Gerd,

> I assume that tomorrow is a regular staff meeting,

Yep.

> and that the 1.4 
> priority meeting will be held when I am not teaching.

Well as no one has yet replied to my suggestion of 3 p.m. next Tuesday
I'll assume everyone is happy with that idea.

---

From: Gerd Kortemeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 12:27:41 -0500

> I'll assume everyone is happy with that idea.

Next Tuesday, I believe this is fine. Last semester, this would have 
overlapped with ICTC's regular meeting time, which would take both me 
and Helen out of the loop. The committee might decide to meet at a 
different time this semester.

---

From: Guy Albertelli II <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 12:58:12 -0500 (EST)

> different time this semester.

ARRRGGGHH!!!

Okay all in one email:

I plan on having a REGULAR DEV MEETING at noon tommorrow (wed. Jan 12th)

I plan on having a 1.4 PRIORITIES MEETING at 3 p.m. next Tuesdays (Jan. 18th)

I have also suggested that we might possibly move the regular
developers meeting and I am taking suggestions of times on Tuesday
that people are free. (looks like 12:15 might be a slightly better
time but no decision has been made.)