Subject: [LON-CAPA-dev] Chart

From: "Matthew Brian Hall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 16:40:08 -0500 (EST)

Hello.

Chart is in a working form now.  Substantial parts have been rewritten and
it is more tightly coupled with lonstatistics as a result.

I still need to add summary statistics to its output as well as different
output modes: HTML with links, HTML without links, HTML totals only,
EXCEL totals only.

I also need to make it not compute if it is the first time it is called,
so the user can make changes to the settings without it churning away at them.

Currently lonstatistics still does pretty much all the stuff it used to
do to initialize the stats/chart functions.  With the addition of the
new processing I have added there is a major lag after you hit [CHRT].
This will be taken care of once I work my magic with the rest of the
statistics functions.

There is a bug in lonnavmaps which causes it to report bogus problem
parts.  Once this is fixed I anticipate/hope the output will match exactly
the previous chart, aside from the user interface.

Please feel free to take a look at the chart and let me know what you
think of it and the interface.  Do not expect the other stats functions
to work properly.

Also, if anyone has an easier way to get the length of a string without
doing "scalar(my @tmp = split(//,$string))" I'd like to know.  It complains
about splitting to @_ being depricated if you don't have the "my @tmp" in
it and the @tmp array is not limited in scope to the scalar(...) call.  I
use the length so much in this module that this has started to wear on me.

Matthew

--
------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthew Hall           LON-CAPA developer         [email-masked]
123 North Kedzie Hall                    Michigan State University
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Jerf <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 12:08:44 -0500

Matthew Brian Hall wrote:
| There is a bug in lonnavmaps which causes it to report bogus problem
| parts.  Once this is fixed I anticipate/hope the output will match exactly
| the previous chart, aside from the user interface.

You'll need to hook me up with an example. Also take a look at the NAV
rendering of the course and see what it does.

| Also, if anyone has an easier way to get the length of a string without
| doing "scalar(my @tmp = split(//,$string))" I'd like to know.

The length function; see "man perlfunc".