Subject: [LON-CAPA-dev] Obsolete LON-CAPA scripts

From: Stefan Bisitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 13:25:04 +0100

Hi,

How can LON-CAPA developers recognize that a script isn't used anymore?

Wording and display optimizations, etc. are not needed for such scripts
anymore, but would be found by a serach and teh changes would be
processed, because those scripts don't look different in CVS, e.g.
londropadd.pm.

Shouldn't these scripts be marked as obsolete, e.g. by removing all
content and doing a final commit?

Stefan Bisitz

---

From: Gerd Kortemeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 08:23:57 -0500

Hi,

> How can LON-CAPA developers recognize that a script isn't used  

Currently, there is indeed no good way.

> content and doing a final commit?

It's actually nice to have some of the old scripts, as we can look up  
how things were or are done. So I would not remove all content.

You could insert a comment way at the top of the header, including a  
remark which scripts replaced them, e.g.,

# Replaced by lonfoobar.pm

or

# Now part of lonfoobar.pm

- Gerd.