Subject: [LON-CAPA-dev] Round Robin

From: Mark Lucas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 10:33:41 -0400 (EDT)

Hi-

	My predicament: I've finally gotten around to trying a roundrobin 
with my two access servers through BIND. I've got capa7 and capa10.

	Here's the cute part - there seems to be two accesses to 
loncapa.phy.ohiou.edu in the login process before it transitions over to 
capa10 or capa7.

	What this means is that my round robin is dysfunctional unless two 
students are logging in at the same time (ie., one is half way through the 
process when the second comes on). Although a cute experiment in 
statistics, it doesn't help me much.

	Is there anyone who can tell me off the bat whether the login 
script can be modified to grab the actual machine name before submitting 
the user name and password information? My assumption is that it is 
pulling the name off the URL rather than the host machine. Can I tweak 
this?

						Thanks,
						    Mark

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark Lucas					email: [email-masked]
252D Clippinger Lab  				phone: (740)597-2984
Department of Physics and Astronomy             fax:   (740)593-0433
Ohio University
Athens, OH 45701

---

From: Gerd Kortemeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 17:38:16 -0400

Mark,

No, no, no ... either your round robin is set up wrong, or you are getting
mixed messages from the IP-name-caching that goes on in the client operating
system.

You need to actually do the statistics with a computer lab full of clients, and
very likely about half of them will go to capa7, and the other half to capa10.
One and the same computer will always go to the same machine until the
operating system flushes its cache.

- Gerd.

Mark Lucas wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> LON-CAPA-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://mail.lon-capa.org/mailman/listinfo/lon-capa-dev