Subject: [LON-CAPA-dev] LONCAPA-prerequisites: updated for perl-LaTeX-Table, PDF Forms

From: Stuart Raeburn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 16:04:05 -0400

New LON-CAPA functionality to be found in checkouts of LON-CAPA CVS  
HEAD from source.loncapa.org (and also the nightly build from CVS HEAD  
- http://install.loncapa.org/versions/loncapa-unstable.tar.gz) uses  
additional  CPAN modules as well as additional TeX packages.

Accordingly rpms have been created for the perl modules from CPAN (and  
their  dependencies) as well as the one LaTeX package which is not  
included in the tetex packaging of LaTeX, used by distros for which  
LON-CAPA is currently supported.

A new LONCAPA-prerequisites.rpm (rev 1-13) has also been created which  
includes the new dependencies:

perl-CAM-PDF
perl-LaTeX-Table
tetex-acrotex

An initial release of 1-13 was created for selected distros (CentOS5,  
Fedora 5, 6, 7, 8 & 9) on January 29/30, 2009.  If you previously  
updated LONCAPA-prerequisites on a development server running one of  
these distros between January 29 and April 6, you will need to replace  
the existing
LONCAPA-prerequisites-1-13.$distro.$arch.rpm with the latest  
incarnation (where $distro = fc5, fc6, centos5 etc., and $arch is i386  
or x86_64).

If you still have LONCAPA-prerequistes 1-12 (or earlier) installed  
then you can simply update to 1-13, as described below.

To check which version you have installed:

rpm -q LONCAPA-prerequisites

This will report:
LONCAPA-prerequisites-1-$rev.$distro
where $rev is version and $distro is distro.

If $rev is 1-13 (and your distro is fc5, fc6, fc7, fc8, fc9 or centos5) use:

rpm -qR LONCAPA-prerequisites |grep tetex-acrotex

to check whether your version of 1-13 includes the dependency on  
tetex-acrotex. If not, use

yum remove LONCAPA-prerequisites
yum clean all
yum install LONCAPA-prerequisites

to update to the newest version of 1-13, assuming you have yum  
configured to use the msu/testing repositories.

For developers with LONCAPA-prerequisites version 1-12 or older, to  
update your development/testing server to the new version follow the  
instructions below.

If your machine is not already configured to use the msu/testing  
repositories, you will first need to enable this (refer to the  
instructions found at  
http://mail.lon-capa.org/pipermail/lon-capa-dev/2007-November/001852.html).

(Note: Fedora 8, Fedora 9 and SuSE 10.3 have been added to the  
msu/testing repos since November 2007 - for these distros just follow  
those instructions for Fedora 7 or SuSE 10.2, replacing 7 with 8 or 9,  
and 10.2 with 10.3, as appropriate).

******

Fedora 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9, Red Hat 5, Centos 5, Scientific Linux 5

yum clean all
yum update LONCAPA-prerequisites

Note: Fedora 9 uses the TeXLive packaging of LaTeX which already  
includes the acrotex package, so no tetex-acrotex dependency exists  
for this distro.

******

SuSE 10.1, 10.2, 10.3  SLES 9, SLES 10

If the msu testing repository is already in use as an Installation  
Source, refresh it using yast->Software->Installation Source

Then use yast->Software->Software Management to search for  
LONCAPA-prerequisites and toggle through the options to > to update it.

(If, despite refreshing, the available version of  
LONCAPA-prerequisites remains 1-12, you may need to delete the  
repository from the list of sources, and then add it again, before  
attempting to update).

******

Red Hat 4

rpm -e LONCAPA-prerequisites
up2date -i LONCAPA-prerequisites

******

If you have any questions, send an e-mail to the lon-capa-dev mailing list
or submit a LON-CAPA help ticket at http://help.loncapa.org/

Stuart Raeburn
MSU LON-CAPA group

---

From: Stefan Bisitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 12:19:02 +0200

Thanks, Stuart. This worked fine on our CentOS5 dev server (It was
necessary to remove and reinstall 1-13)

Stefan Bisitz

On 17.04.2009, 16:04 -0400, Stuart Raeburn wrote:
> [...]
> _______________________________________________
> LON-CAPA-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://mail.lon-capa.org/mailman/listinfo/lon-capa-dev

---

From: Stefan Dröschler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 22:28:27 +0200

Thanks for this guide Stuart.

I'm not sure whether the issues I encountered should be covered by it.  
So here is what happened:
After an update to the latest cvs version and following the procedure  
described in your guide (I had the old 1.13 version of LONCAPA- 
prerequisites installed, which was removed and replaced by the new  
one), httpd refused to restart complaining about following missing  
perl modules:

- Class::C3
- Devel::GlobalDestruction
- Sub::Name
- Module::Pluggable

I installed the above listed modules using the cpan shell and  
everything works fine now. This happened on CentOS5.

Stefan Droeschler