Subject: [LON-CAPA-dev] RH7.2 perl versus apache rpm conflict

From: Scott Harrison <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 20:55:50 -0400

Dear All:

For LON-CAPA users running RedHat version 7.2, 
I would recommend that you do NOT upgrade to perl 5.6.1
anytime soon.  The apache rpm only believes in 5.6.0.

For more information, visit:
http://archive.develooper.com/beginners%40perl.org/msg05128.html

The alternative is compiling apache from source.

THIS IS DISAPPOINTING.

Starting httpd: [Sat Apr 13 20:50:03 2002] [error] Can't locate
strict.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.0/i386-linux
/usr/lib/perl5/5.6.0 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/i386-linux
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl . /etc/httpd/
/etc/httpd/lib/perl) at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/i386-linux/Apache.pm line 3.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/i386-linux/Apache.pm line 3.
Compilation failed in require at (eval 1) line 3.

[Sat Apr 13 20:50:04 2002] [error] Can't locate lib.pm in @INC (@INC
contains: /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.0/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.0
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl . /etc/httpd/ /etc/httpd/lib/perl) at
/etc/httpd//conf/startup.pl line 4.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /etc/httpd//conf/startup.pl line 4.
Compilation failed in require at (eval 2) line 1.

Syntax error on line 609 of /etc/httpd/conf/loncapa.conf:
Can't locate lib.pm in @INC (@INC contains:
/usr/lib/perl5/5.6.0/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.0
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl . /etc/httpd/ /etc/httpd/lib/perl) at
/etc/httpd//conf/startup.pl line 4.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /etc/httpd//conf/startup.pl line 4.
Compilation failed in require at (eval 2) line 1.

My jaw continues to drop through the floor.

Regards,
Scott

-- 
Scott Harrison -- Graduate Student
Microbiology and Molecular Genetics
Mich. State. Univ., East Lansing, MI
[email-masked], 517-353-0998

---

From: Scott Harrison <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 21:04:55 -0400

Dear All:

A (reluctant) remedy:
  rpm -ivh --force perl-5.6.0-17.i386.rpm 

Regards,
Scott

Scott Harrison wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> LON-CAPA-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://mail.lon-capa.org/mailman/listinfo/lon-capa-dev

---

From: Scott Harrison <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 16:41:11 -0400

Dear All:

RedHat released a newer mod_perl RPM (not yet documented,
but present in all the ftp update repositories) which
looks like it resolves the conflict with perl 5.6.1.

I have not yet tested new mod_perl with new perl.... 
but anyways check-rpms strategy should again work \
seamlessly to upgrade a LON-CAPA box.

Regards,
Scott