Subject: Re: [LON-CAPA-dev] lonparmset.pm

From: "Robert McQueen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 20:06:14 -0500

Hi Gerd,

   Well actually we're going for ALL of that. ;)  So far, the version we're 
developing is on its way to accomplishing the first [urgent] task that you 
mentioned.  [Due to the input problem.]  But currently, it's working at the 
same level of functionality as the current STABLE lonparmset.pm.  The 
difference is essentially cosmetic.  I removed the part ids from the 
parameter list and gave them their own menu.

   However, Mark and I wanted to EXTEND the functionality, to help 
accomplish the second method that you mentioned.  In addition, we want the 
user to be able to select a particular part and display whatever parameters 
they'd like to see for that part only.  But in order to do any of this, the 
module would need to accept multiple inputs for the parameter selection and 
function accordingly.

   By "multipe inputs" I mean in the HTML sense where you either have a 
<select name=pscat multiple> or checkboxes with <input type=checkbox 
name=pscat> <input value=duedate>...<input value=_tol>..etc.  I believe 
these two methods should work and provide the same input to the module.  But 
I have tried both and each time I only receive one input to the 
$ENV{form.pscat} variable.

   I hope this helps to clarify matters.  If not, I'll try again. :)

Robert M.
Ohio University

>From: Gerd Kortemeyer <[email-masked]>
>Reply-To: [email-masked]
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: Re: [LON-CAPA-dev] lonparmset.pm
>Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 15:51:18 -0500
>
>Hi Robert,
>
>Could you please give us a little more background? What is meant by 
>"multiple
>inputs"?
>
>One urgent "multiple" feature users wanted is that the pulldown menu does 
>not
>show
>"Due Date [Part 0]"
>"Due Date [Part 42]"
>etc, but that instead you simply have
>"Due Date"
>in the pulldown, and lonparmset shows all duedates regardless of parts.
>
>Or do you mean that the user can select both
>"Due Date"
>and "Answer Date"
>and lonparmset shows both duedates and answerdates, and that regardless of
>parts.
>
>Thanks!
>
>- Gerd.
>
>Robert Bennie McQueen wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> >    Congratulations MSU development team!  I have a [most likely
> > trivial] question regarding the input to the lonparmset.pm module.  As 
>you
> > are aware, Mark Lucas (@ Ohio U.) volunteered our help in remodeling the
> > parmset user-interface.  In trying to accomplish this task, I have hit a
> > wall trying to receive multiple inputs for the $pscat variable, which
> > represents the parameters you want displayed within the params table.  I
> > have successfully changeed the HTML to allow for multiple inputs, but 
>the
> > $ENV{form.pscat} variable always returns a single value.  I'm probably
> > overlooking something obvious.  So can someone please point it out to 
>me?
> > It would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance and keep up the good
> > work. :)
> >
> > Robert M.
> > Ohio University
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > LON-CAPA-dev mailing list
> > [email-masked]
> > http://mail.lon-capa.org/mailman/listinfo/lon-capa-dev
><< korte.vcf >>

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp.

---

From: Gerd Kortemeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 20:50:49 -0500

> <select name=pscat multiple>

Your problems does not have anything to do with LON-CAPA in particular.

Your fields will come in in a different form than before when you use "multiple"
- don't have the specs here at home, but to find out, you could simply print all
$ENV{'form.(something)}

foreach $item (keys %ENV) {
   if ($item=~/^form/) { print $item.' - '.$ENV{$item}.'<br>'; }
}

to see what you all get for different submissions. Then go from there.

BTW, I don't think that there is ever a need to select a particular part in the
lonparmset selector section. You select "Due Date" and then down below in the
big table it shows you any duedate in any part - that's fine. Making sense?

- Gerd.

---

From: Gerd Kortemeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 21:00:31 -0500

Robert,

> to see what you all get for different submissions. Then go from there.

Actually, we could have a problem if the parameters for something like pscat come in
like

pscat=duedate&pscat=answerdate&pscat=opendate

See http://www.webclass.ru/show.php3?tip=16 ... hmm ...

In that case only the last occurance of that name value pair would currently come
over. We can change this, but would need a convention, like

$ENV{'form.pscat.1'}='duedate'
$ENV{'form.pscat.2'}='answerdate'

or $ENV{'form.pscat'}='duedate,answerdate,opendate'

For now it would be great if we could solve the multiple-part selector problem as a
first step.

- Gerd.