Subject: [LON-CAPA-dev] Updating LON-CAPA on a development server

From: Stuart Raeburn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 12:14:53 -0500

A part of the changes made for LON-CAPA 2.10 was the inclusion of  
version checking to determine whether a course featured any specific  
version requirements arising from included response types and/or  
parameter settings.

Roles in courses requiring a specific version (or later) of LON-CAPA  
can not be selected on a server hosting the user's session if that  
server's version is too old.

The question then arises - how best to accommodate development  
servers? - for which traditionally the Version has remained as the  
default, i.e., set to: <!-- VERSION --> which is blank on a web page.

Given that developers need to be able to test future code changes to  
version checking and or dependencies etc., continued use of <!--  
VERSION --> is not a good solution.

Instead development servers will include a version number similar to  
2.11.CVS_HEAD-2011022621 where the first part is the number of the  
next version (in the form N.M) and 2011022621 is the date/time of the  
last update to CVS_HEAD, in the form YYYYMMDDHH.

The N.M and CVS_HEAD in the version number come from the values set in  
Makefile for VERSION and NEXTVERSION respectively.

The procedure for updating a development server used to be:

cd /somewhere/loncapa
cvs update -d -A
cd loncom/build
make build
su
make install

One additional line is now added so it becomes:

cd /somewhere/loncapa
cvs update -d -A
cd loncom/build
make build
make aboutVERSION
su
make install

Stuart Raeburn

---

From: Stuart Raeburn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 11:26:59 -0500

As of 3/10/2011, the additional line: "make aboutVERSION", advertised  
on 2/27/2011 as being needed when updating a development server, is no  
longer required, as that call has now been included within the  
operations which occur when using "make install".

So the update procedure is once again, simply:

cd /somewhere/loncapa
cvs update -d -A
cd loncom/build
make build
su
make install
/etc/init.d/loncontrol stop
/etc/init.d/loncontrol start
/etc/init.d/httpd restart

Stuart Raeburn

> The question then arises - how best to accommodate development servers?
> - for which traditionally the Version has remained as the default,
> i.e., set to: <!-- VERSION --> which is blank on a web page.
>
> 2.11.CVS_HEAD-2011022621 where the first part is the number of the next
> version (in the form N.M) and 2011022621 is the date/time of the last
> update to CVS_HEAD, in the form YYYYMMDDHH.
>