Subject: [LON-CAPA-dev] new capa.so

From: Guy Albertelli II <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 20:49:34 -0500 (EST)

Hi All,

If you see this error:

ERROR:

 Usage:
 caparesponse_capa_check_answer(response,correct,type,tol_type,tolerance,sig_lbound,sig_ubound,ans_fmt,unit_str,calc,id_list,pts_list,rndseed);
 at (eval 148) line 120.

occured while running

&caparesponse_check_list()

You need to rebuild capa.so

This is best done by doing

cd loncapa/loncom/homework/caparesponse
cvs update -d -A
make clean
cd ../../build
make build 
su
make install

It anyone has problems let me know.

-- 
[email-masked]  LON-CAPA Developer  0-7-4-7-

---

From: Josh Tacey <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 16:25:54 -0500

Just a quick note to everyone,

You CAN get lon-capa to install and work on a Gentoo install.  It 
"seems" faster than redhat, but that may just be my own judgment :P

It didn't include too much pain and suffering.

loncontrol had to be changed, and the fedora makefile patches that are 
in my module were also needed.

-> loncontrol just needed to have it's arguments rearranged and it's fine.

It works :0)

If anyone wants to try and duplicate and has any questions, let me know

thanks!

josh

[email-masked]

---

From: Guy Albertelli II <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 08:44:37 -0500 (EST)

Hi Josh,

> "seems" faster than redhat, but that may just be my own judgment :P

BTW, did you pick up the patch to HTML::Parser for your install?

---

From: Jeremy Bowers <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 09:28:27 -0500

> in my module were also needed.

If you look in my modules directory (jerf), you'll find a portage 
overlay that is probably out-of-date, but tries to get to the point 
where "emerge loncapa" would work. I had it working in 0.6.2, except I 
think I did miss the HTML::Parser patch (unless that's part of "make 
install"?). I got some of the fiddly bits correct, such as the mod_auth 
modification that loncapa needs.

If you'd like to update that and take out the Perl modules I had to add 
that are probably now in standard portage, that may provide you with a 
good starting point to get it not just running *in* Gentoo, but running 
it as part of Gentoo with complete packaging support.

I don't guarentee anything (mod_auth_loncapa should probably block 
mod_auth, which would require adding something in DEPEND), but it has a 
lot of the grunt work done for you. I was actually using that dir to 
update LON-CAPA, the only way to keep such things up-to-date, so except 
for the HTML-Parser it really should work for 0.6.2, and if you're 
interested in keeping it working on Gentoo, I recommend also using it as 
your primary update method.

If you get it good enough, you can distribute the overlay and give 
instructions on how to use it. There's more to do; see the README file. 
(Looks like tth may need to be moved into place after install, for 
instance.)

I would be interested in benchmarks between Red Hat/Fedora vs. a 
well-compiled Gentoo on the exact same machine. (Be sure to use the same 
kernel version in both.) But I don't expect anyone to think it worth 
doing, as I never did ;-) I'm still interested, though.

---

From: Josh Tacey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 08:55:10 -0500

Huh, there is a patch there :P

It didn't apply cleanly and I had to manually apply it but it did work.

I don't know if that will cause a speedup

also the change in loncontrol was just this, and for whatever reason it 
works better when it is in this order.

-> old method:  system("su -c '/home/httpd/perl/loncron new' www ");
-> new method: system("su www -c '/home/httpd/perl/loncron new'");

I don't really see how this would break anything normally, but it does 
work with the new method on Non redhat systems :0)

thanks

josh

---

From: Jeremy Bowers <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 14:18:57 -0500

> work with the new method on Non redhat systems :0)

Interesting, I thought I had committed that change. IIRC it shouldn't 
affect anything, you're right, working on both RedHat & Gentoo, and 
probably other things, too.