Subject: [LON-CAPA-dev] ./UPDATE and the new tarball

From: Scott Harrison <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 15:10:09 -0400

Dear All:

The latest current tarball at http://install.lon-capa.org/
  http://install.lon-capa.org/versions/current/loncapa.tar.gz

Download and try it.  I'm happy and it will make you happy too.

Features:

* STABLE mixed with about 15 unstable changes I have made
* works really GREAT now when both first-time and current
  users download it and run ./UPDATE

I apologize for the STABLE/unstable mixture.  But, I could not
bear to teach (again) the latest new user about the technical nitty-gritty
of the entire system, etc.  I saw the movie Spiderman and this would
have turned me into the green goblin.

I would rather just have a great vanilla layer, which I think
./UPDATE now represents.  It interactively queries the user
for machine specific information.

MANY thanks to Matthew for his suggestions and feedback (and good-humored
patience) over the last week.

Regards,
Scott

-- 
Scott Harrison, [email-masked]