Subject: [LON-CAPA-dev] [Fwd: [Bio] Fwd: Re: evaluation]

From: Scott Harrison <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 14:54:16 -0500

fyi...

-- 
Scott Harrison -- Graduate Student
Microbiology and Molecular Genetics
Mich. State. Univ., East Lansing, MI
[email-masked], 517-353-0998

Subject: [Bio] Fwd: Re: evaluation
From: Janet Batzli <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 12:47:17 -0500
List-Id: developing online education for biology <bio.hobbes.lite.msu.edu>

Greetings all,
I have initiated a conversation with a potential collaborator (our 
brown bag presenter last week -Chuck Dziuban). His group down at 
Univ. Central Florida have expertise in evaluation, data mining and 
analysis of outcomes for online learning and instruction.

Please check out their web site.. http://pegasus.cc.ucf.edu/~rite/
Of particular interest might be the research showcase and rite services.

I think Chuck's group might be very helpful in guiding the data 
mining process and in pointing out evaluations strategies (and 
potentially help in evaluation metrics that could be programmed in to 
LON-CAPA).

Anyway, he asks a series of questions that I would like to throw out 
to the group.
"aAe data in CAPA exportable to analysis packages?  What form are 
they in. How big is the data set? What are the outcomes of interest?"

Perhaps we can discuss during the meeting today?
Janet

>Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 09:23:07 -0500
>From: "Charles Dziuban" <[email-masked]>
>To: <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Re: evaluation
>Status:  
>
>Hi Janet,
>
>Thanks for the kind remarks. Patsy and enjoyed the warm reception 
>(except for the whether) at MSU. If you send me your mailing address 
>I will send you a packet of Long materials that you can evaluate for 
>possible inclusion into your project. Have you checked out our 
>Website to see if that is the kind of thing in which you are 
>interested. I am interested in the kinds of data that you are 
>harvesting in LON-CAPA. If we can help we will. Questions :  aAe 
>data in CAPA exportable to analysis packages?  What form are they 
>in. How big is the data set? What are the outcomes of interest? Look 
>forward to hearing form you.
>
>Chuck
>
>Charles D. Dziuban, Ph.D.
>Research Initiative for Teaching Effectiveness
>Education Building, Room 245
>P.O. Box 161250
>Orlando, FL 32816-1250
>
>Phone: (407) 823-5478
>Fax: (407) 823-6580
>
>
>>>>  Janet Batzli <[email-masked]> 02/19/02 02:38PM >>>
>Dear Chuck,
>Thank you for a very informative and enjoyable presentation at our
>technology brownbag last week.
>
>I want to follow up on the brief conversation we had after your
>presenation. I am a content specialist and instructional designer for
>an online resource development project in biology (FYOL)
>http://lecture.lite.msu.edu/~bio/fyol . Our team includes about 8
>other faculty/staff and a graphic designer. The associate dean
>Estelle McGroarty, that you met briefly after your presentation, is
>the PI of the project. We are now creeping up on the last year of
>funding and would like to evaluate outcomes, particularly learning
>outcomes. We are interested in both fine grain analysis of student
>data, including interviews & observations which we have started to
>do, AND data that we could compare to those you found using Long's
>behavior analysis. In addition, we would be interested in discussing
>the potential for collaboration of which you described as....."we
>will mine the data and send you results"--we are intrigued! We are
>currently using the LON-CAPA system which is still in testing mode
>and does not have fully functional metrics tools implemented yet.
>
>Looking forward to continuing a discussion.
>
>Regards, Janet

-- 
____________________________________________________________________
Janet McCray Batzli, PhD * [email-masked] * Asst. Prof., LBS
213 North Kedzie Lab * Michigan State Univ. * East Lansing, MI 48824
voice: 517-353-3139 * FAX:517-432-5643 * http://www.msu.edu/~batzli *
First Year Online in Biology http://lecture.lite.msu.edu/~bio/fyol
____________________________________________________________________

_______________________________________________
Biology Group mailing list
Biology [email-masked]
http://hobbes.lite.msu.edu/mailman/listinfo/bio