Subject: [LON-CAPA-dev] mysql - my head spinning

From: Mark Lucas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 15:42:54 -0400 (EDT)

Hi-

	I am upgrading oucapa2 - my production library server.
It is still running RH6.2. I'm have a number of old LON-CAPA packages 
installed, etc....

	The latest problem seems to be that I don't have 'mysql' 
installed. I do, but it is the old loncapa mysql package.

	I gather I need to pull over the standard mysql stuff.

	Let me ask the following question - how painless is it to tar
up the home directory, print out the pertinent configuration files (as per 
suggestions in the faq), and start fresh with 7.3?

	If I restore things like the password files and home directories 
before doing an upgrade, should I be in okay shape?

					Later,
					   Mark
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark Lucas					email: [email-masked]
252D Clippinger Lab  				phone: (740)597-2984
Department of Physics and Astronomy             fax:   (740)593-0433
Ohio University
Athens, OH 45701

---

From: Scott Harrison <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 16:02:10 -0400

> installed. I do, but it is the old loncapa mysql package.

RedHat 6.2 does not operate properly with any known combination
of a "standard mysql rpm" + perl-mysql-modules.

This is why the old loncapa mysql package is the only software
setup you should expect to ever work with RedHat 6.2.

> 	I gather I need to pull over the standard mysql stuff.

Not for RedHat 6.2.

> suggestions in the faq), and start fresh with 7.3?

Painfree (except for /etc/passwd and /etc/group issues as you mention below).

> before doing an upgrade, should I be in okay shape?

Originally, many of the prior RH6.2 LON-CAPA servers operated with
non-shadow passwords.  RH7.3 will, when installed, by default work
with shadow passwords.

The worst case scenario would be having all of your Linux filesystem
users on oucapa2 being assigned new passwords.  Note that many
LON-CAPA users such as students are not filesystem users (and
not in /etc/passwd or /etc/group).

You should, however, be able to copy over information
from the /etc/passwd,/etc/group,/etc/shadow,/etc/gshadow
files onto your new system ------------ so long as you
pay attention to the shadow versus non-shadow issue.

For more information on shadow passwords, perhaps:
http://www.linuxworld.com/linuxworld/lw-2000-07/lw-07-shadowpasswords.html

Regards,
Scott

> _______________________________________________
> LON-CAPA-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://mail.lon-capa.org/mailman/listinfo/lon-capa-dev

-- 
Scott Harrison, [email-masked]