Subject: [LON-CAPA-dev] Units for Avogadro's number

From: "rlight" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 15:10:10 -0500

As I'm trying to set up a problem involving Avagodro's number calculation,
the units for N might be molecules/mol, particles/mole, or something/mol.

To have an answer where one is calculating the number of molecules, say, the
"unit" of the answer would be molecules.  Yet LON-CAPA doesn't accept that
as a unit.  Is there a way to append a string to a numerical answer?

Robley

*************************************************************
Robley J. Light                         Professor of Chemistry and
Biochemistry
Department of Chemistry          Phone:   (850) 644-3844 
   and Biochemistry                   Email:  [email-masked]   
Florida State University             Fax:      (850) 644-8281
Tallahassee, FL 32306-4390    Home Page:
http://chemweb.chem.fsu.edu/editors/rlight    

---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.558 / Virus Database: 350 - Release Date: 1/2/2004

---

From: Guy Albertelli II <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 15:17:39 -0500 (EST)

Hi Robley,

> as a unit.  Is there a way to append a string to a numerical answer?

There isn't a way for an instructor to create a new unit yet.

You can do

<problem>
 <startouttext /> The correct answer is 3 molecules<endouttext />
 <numericalresponse answer="3">
   <textline />
 </numericalresponse>
 <stringresponse answer="molecules">
   <textline />
 </stringresponse>
</problem>

Which isn't exactly like having a unit but does require them to say
molecules.

-- 
[email-masked]  LON-CAPA Developer  0-7-5-0-