Subject: [LON-CAPA-dev] Anon mode

From: Guy Albertelli II <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 04:04:21 -0400 (EDT)

Hi All,

Anonymous mode looks to be done!

Just blathering about this here, because this had never been reported
as a bug and so I don't get to close one.

So instead I am announcing it here.

:-)

Maybe I need to go to bed.

-- 
[email-masked]  LON-CAPA Developer  0-7-4-7-

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 08:05:35 -0400 (EDT)

So for those of us out of the loop, remind us what anonymous mode is.

Mark
On Thu, 29 Apr 2004, Guy Albertelli II wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> LON-CAPA-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://mail.lon-capa.org/mailman/listinfo/lon-capa-dev
> 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark Lucas					email: [email-masked]
252D Clippinger Lab  				phone: (740)597-2984
Department of Physics and Astronomy             fax:   (740)593-0433
Ohio University
Athens, OH 45701

---

From: "H. K. Ng" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 08:35:34 -0400

>Anonymous mode looks to be done!

Hi Guy,

Great! Can we have a demo on how it work!. -hk

---

From: Guy Albertelli II <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 14:11:39 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Mark,

> So for those of us out of the loop, remind us what anonymous mode is.

When doing Scantron style quiz/exams you can now print a set of
resources 'anonymously'. They no longer are associated with a specific
user anymore, but rather have a CODE which is used in seeding the
random number generator.

When grading the Scanton forms, the CODE is then associated with that
student for those resources and those resources are graded based of
the randomization based on the CODE rather than the username.

Additionally if the student views the resource after graded it now
shows the random numers etc. that were on the printed form they had
rather than the number etc that their username is supposed to get.

---

From: Guy Albertelli II <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 14:18:31 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Hon-Kie,

> Great! Can we have a demo on how it work!. -hk

Sure

1) got to a resource in a course
2) hit PRT
3) select 'Problem from <mapname> for anonymous students'
4) click Next ->
5) type in the number of exams you want generated
6) if you want to save the CODEs for later so the bubbled input can be
    validated, type in a name to save them under
7) click Next->
8) print them out
9) fill in some scantron forms
10) get them scanned
11) upload the scan results
12) goto PGRD
13) click 'Grade' scantron form
14) Select the map, datafile, scantron format that knows where a CODE
     is on the form, and the name that CODEs where saved under
15) click 'Validate Scantron Records'
16) follow the on screen prompts.

---

From: "H. K. Ng" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 15:05:53 -0400

Hi Guy,

Thanks, a few follow up questions.

1. I tried it on an assignments, i.e., it has a few problems. What do I 
need to do to turn it into an exam with bubbles? I set the number of 
bubbles on the map parm but does not turn it into an exam mode.

>9) fill in some scantron forms

2. Will any scantron form work? Of course, provided it has space for the 
CODE and the student ID.

3. What do you use for the student id on the scantron form? The username 
requires both alphabets and digits.

-hk

---

From: Guy Albertelli II <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 15:29:06 -0400 (EDT)

> bubbles on the map parm but does not turn it into an exam mode.

You need to set it to be an exam. Set the parameter 'Question Type' to exam
and then it switched to bubble mode for both online and printing.

> 2. Will any scantron form work? Of course, provided it has space for the 

Whatever form you want to use should be fine, what matters is the
format of the output file.

It is configurable as to where the fields are in the file but there
are some rules to what the file needs to looks like.

> requires both alphabets and digits.

We use the Student Id not the username on the scantron forms.

In fact the scantron mode currently doesn't support usernames on the
forms yet. It could be supported but isn't yet.

---

From: "H. K. Ng" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 11:08:34 -0400

Hi,

When I activate the "enroll now" feature, I got quite a number of messages 
(2 shown below) that I am not sure what to make of it.

     * An invalid authentication type was provided for the new user - 
xxx02, so the student was not enrolled in the course.
     * Authentication mismatch for xxx4505 - localauth: in system, 
localauth based on information in classlist or default for this course.

The course was set up for localauth. In the localenroll.pm the fields

   <autharg></autharg>
   <authtype></authtype>

are both left blank. This should then use the default course auth type??

Thanks, -hk

---

From: "Stuart Peter Raeburn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 12:54:42 -0400

Hon-Kie, 

The message:
# An invalid authentication type was provided for the new user - xxxx02, so 
the student was not enrolled in the course." 

is most likely the result of a bug in Enrollment.pm that affected use of
auto-enrollment with the localauth authentication type, in Enrollment.pm v. 
1.10 and earlier. 

It appears that the versions of Enrollment.pm and Autoenroll.pl were not 
updated to the latest versions in the current release of LON-CAPA (v 1.1.3). 

If you are using older versions of this code, I recommend retrieving that 
latest versions from the LON-CAPA CVS repository.  From loncom/enrollment 
retrieve the following: 

Autoenroll.pl
Enrollment.pm 

(The latest versions are v. 1.8 and 1.14 respectively).
These files should go in the following locations in your LON-CAPA system:
/home/httpd/perl/Autoenroll.pl
/home/httpd/lib/perl/LONCAPA/Enrollment.pm 

Note: CVS is now web-accessible via 
http://zaphod.lite.msu.edu/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/ 

Once you have these installed and have reloaded the apache processes (or 
restarted the web servers), you should no longer see these messages. 

If your XML files containing student classlists contain blank autharg and 
authtype, i.e.,
<autharg></autharg>
<authtype></authtype> 

you are correct in saying that the default authentication types (set by a DC 
via MCRS) are used. 

Stuart

---

From: "H. K. Ng" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 15:34:57 -0400

Can the lon-capa software be loaded on an apple portable running OS X? If 
so, how hard or easy is it to install? Thanks, -hk

---

From: Guy Albertelli II <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 15:52:53 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Hon-Kie,

> so, how hard or easy is it to install?

I might be possible. You will need a custom compile of tth.so which
you'll need to get me to generate for you.

I am guessing it is between hard and very hard.

If the laptop is hooked to internet and I had a couple of days I
probably could succeed at getting it running.

Does MacOS X come with apache 1 and mod_perl?

-- 
[email-masked]  LON-CAPA Developer  0-7-4-3-

---

From: Gerd Kortemeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 22:03:12 -0400

> Does MacOS X come with apache 1 and mod_perl?

Oddly enough, Apple claims that it has both Apache 1.3 and 2.0:

http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/specs.html

"Apache versions 1.3 and 2.0 are installed on Mac OS X Server v10.3 and 
accessible from the command line; Server Admin provides a user 
interface for configuring and managing Apache 1.3"

modperl does not appear to be installed.

As much as I love LON-CAPA, and as much as I love MacOS X, the 
combination scares me. MacOS X puts a great intuitive user interface on 
  FreeBSD, but under the hood, stuff is wired up strangely. For example, 
at least in earlier versions, Apache had two sets of configuration 
files: one in the place where you would expect it, alas, not used, and 
another one in a strange place under the control of the Server Admin 
application. You edit the configuration files which you recognize, 
nothing happens. I am sure there's a lot more stuff like that.

- Gerd.