Subject: [LON-CAPA-dev] interface bugs

From: Scott Harrison <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 13:46:43 -0500

Dear All:

After an update (-A, cutting edge), I'm noticing some wacky interface
behavior (never seen this before).

1.
The PREFS button is too wide and not all the buttons appear on
the remote control.  The ones on the right are difficult to
make out.

2.
The main window now resizes to a vertical maximum where I can no longer
grab or move any part of it on my IceWM desktop.

I am using RedHat 6.2, IceWM and X-windows, Netscape Communicator
4.77.

Regards,
Scott

-- 
Scott Harrison, [email-masked]

It's always too soon to quit! --Norman Vincent Peale

---

From: Gerd Kortemeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 13:46:51 -0500

Filling in for Guy: Bugzilla!

The Remote Control had the big Logout button replaced by two smaller
buttons. It may be that the table or the image width or both have not been
adjusted.

Scott Harrison wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> LON-CAPA-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://mail.lon-capa.org/mailman/listinfo/lon-capa-dev

---

From: "Matthew Brian Hall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 14:48:07 -0500 (EST)

I have begun addressing this problem, despite the lack of a bugzilla report :)

Gerd, it looks like imgmaps.html requires modification (although I can't for
the life of me find where this file is used).  There is a small modification to
be made to menu.html that I'll check in in a moment.  This change (dempty to
empty) broke the remote completely for me in NS4.7x.

The resizing of the navigator window is damn annoying and I'll work on
tracking that one down, too.  If it continues to be a problem for you, I
suggest buying a larger monitor :)  Once the problem is solved I will gladly
accept the larger monitor as payment.

In the mean time I'll be adding to my list of ways to hate javascript.

Matthew

--
------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthew Hall           LON-CAPA developer         [email-masked]
123 North Kedzie Hall                    Michigan State University
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Matthew Brian Hall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 15:14:05 -0500 (EST)

Scott, et al.

Let me know if you see any more strangeness with the remote and the window
resizing.  Gerd had added the auto-resizing of the window to deal with cases
where the students had a maximized window and were unable to deal with the
remote.  Suggestions as to how to deal with this that don't involve mental or
physical abuse of the users would be appreciated.

Regarding the remote, I hope the problem is solved with my change to menu.html.
 I was unable to reproduce the problem on my machine after this change.  Let me
know.

Matthew

---

From: Scott Harrison <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 16:19:31 -0500

Dear Gerd:

I filed my bugs at bugzilla.

I still don't understand the vertical maximization... I suppose
this too is a new feature.  (One that makes sense..but isn't
working as well as might have been planned for)

Stand up to your obstacles and do something about them. You
will find that they haven't half the strength you think they
have. -Norman Vincent Peale

---

From: Scott Harrison <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 16:22:13 -0500

oh.. so my latest action is a post-mortem addition to bugzilla.. oops

I will try your change immediately.

You have given your life to become the person you are today.
Was it worth it? Richard Bach

---

From: Scott Harrison <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 17:02:53 -0500

Dear Matthew:

It is fixed.  Both problems are fixed.

I set Resolution=FIXED on bugzilla.

Thank you from a grateful nation.

Regards,
Scott

Expect trouble as an inevitable part of life and when it comes,
hold your head high, look it squarely in the eye and say: I
will be bigger than you. You cannot defeat me. -Ann Landers