Subject: [LON-CAPA-dev] Print issues with html files in a .page

From: Stefan Bisitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2007 19:01:25 +0100

Hi,

I created a testpage to see if I could use a .page to combine some html
files. Printing this page stops due to LaTeX errors (Unpublished .page,
printed as author from Construction Space):
! LaTeX Error: Missing \begin{document}
...

Printing the html files separately works fine.

It looks like pages have always been trouble makers. I don't know if
it's right to restart old discussions. At the moment I just need little
advice how html files need to be made of so that they could be used in a
.page and be printed.

Or just say: "Don't use pages"...

The actual question is: What is the easiest way to combine some already
existing html files in LON-CAPA to
a) look like one document when printed
b) create ONE pdf/html/...? file which contains all the html files

The following bugs deal with the same issue but they are all marked
resolved:
bug 2833 (http://bugzilla.lon-capa.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2833)
bug 3585 (http://bugzilla.lon-capa.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3585)
bug 4357 (http://bugzilla.lon-capa.org/show_bug.cgi?id=4357)

Any hints are welcome, thank you!

Stefan Bisitz

---

From: Guy Albertelli II <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 13:19:21 -0500

Hi Stefan,

> ! LaTeX Error: Missing \begin{document}

Looking at the generated LaTeX file can usually be highly instructive
as to what is wrong.

Especially since \begin{document} isn't even in there. That usually
indicates an ISE occured when trying to do the HTML->tex conversion
step.

My guess would be it's very likely that it's the print from CSTR that
is causing the issue.

I'd suspect it would work fine to publish it and attempt the print
from in a course. 

> Or just say: "Don't use pages"...

I think that .page printing (and many aspects of .page usage) has
gotten much better over the 2.4/5/6 dev cycle (Thanks mainly to
Colorado School of Mines using them and putting up with the bugs and
getting us feedback about patches, Thanks CSM & Todd Ruskell!)

2.6 finally will see <imageresponse> being fully functional in
  .pages..

> b) create ONE pdf/html/...? file which contains all the html files

I'm assuming you don't like some aspect of the printed results of
putting them in one .sequence and printing everything in the
.sequence?

> bug 2833 (http://bugzilla.lon-capa.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2833)
This one looks like a bug requesting a implementation of getting .page
to work (which it currently does in most cases)

> bug 3585 (http://bugzilla.lon-capa.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3585)
This one was caused by a set of selections with regards to how a
.problem organized itself and thus only broke in some course setups
for some problems for some .pages.

> bug 4357 (http://bugzilla.lon-capa.org/show_bug.cgi?id=4357)
This one has nothing to do with a .page (its about a EXT resource..)

-- 
[email-masked]   0-7-0-6-27,137