Subject: [LON-CAPA-dev] Meeting notes/roadmap?

From: Phil Fazio <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 13:57:50 -0400

Hello,

Are there notes online from the weekly meeting somewhere, as I have
not gotten any on loncapa-dev for quite some time?  Is there also any
kind of roadmap or "what's in progress" page?  Thanks!

Phil

---

From: Stuart Raeburn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2009 08:09:08 -0400

Phil,

> not gotten any on loncapa-dev for quite some time?

It looks as though the last meeting notes I posted to the dev list  
were for 6/17/2008. No notes are available online for weekly LON-CAPA  
meetings held at MSU since then.  This is because much of the  
discussion at those meetings since last summer has been unrelated to  
LON-CAPA development (the topic of the dev mailing list).

>
> Is there also any kind of roadmap or "what's in progress" page?  Thanks!
>

The "Future Directions" summary from October 2007 (see:  
http://mail.lon-capa.org/pipermail/lon-capa-dev/2007-October/001837.html)  
continues to be relevant to the direction of ongoing development,  
which is presently focussed on improvements in usability.

As regards what's in progress ...

The LON-CAPA presentations page:
http://www.loncapa.org/presentations.html

contains the following items (with links)

# Redesign Project Presentation, LON-CAPA Conference and Workshop,  
East Lansing, May 2009
# New in 2.9, LON-CAPA Conference and Workshop, East Lansing, May 2009

which provide information about some of what's in progress for 2.9 and 3.0.

The release notes for 2.7.0, 2.7.1, 2.8.0 and 2.8.1 linked to on the  
announce list:

http://mail.lon-capa.org/pipermail/lon-capa-announce/2008/
http://mail.lon-capa.org/pipermail/lon-capa-announce/2009/

provide information about the development work in progress since the  
last meeting notes posting in June 2008.

There's also an "ideas" page: http://www.loncapa.org/ideas.html which  
provides a wish-list of coding tasks that will hopefully be picked up  
by one or other  LON-CAPA developer at some point.  Lastly, bugs  
marked as "assigned" in bugzilla may give some indication of what  
developers plan on working on in the not too distant future.

I anticipate organizing a LON-CAPA Academic Consortium future  
directions meeting in the Fall and the results of that will be posted  
to the dev list.

I am of course curious why you ask - do you have some time available  
this summer and are thinking of contributing towards LON-CAPA  
development efforts?  Let me know if this is the case and what you  
would like to work on.

Stuart Raeburn
MSU LON-CAPA group