Subject: [LON-CAPA-dev] A line from the guts manual about roles

From: Jeremy Bowers <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 13:49:35 -0500

"When a user first logs in, their role is the 'common' role, which means 
that they have the sum of all of their privileges. During a session it 
might become necessary to choose a particular role, which as a 
consequence also limits the user to only the privileges in that 
particular role."

Is this still true? It doesn't make much sense to me as written; why 
would anyone want to limit their privileges, and why would "limiting" 
privileges be necessary to do something?

I don't know what this was getting at. It came from SessionOn1.html, 
near the end.

---

From: Guy Albertelli II <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 15:14:30 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Jeremy,

> Is this still true? 

Yes.

> It doesn't make much sense to me as written; why 

It rather diambiguates what permissions you have.

For instance if I have both student and instructor roles, one allows
me to view grades one doesn't, so am I allowed to view grades? Maybe,
I need to pick a specific role in this case.

-- 
[email-masked]  LON-CAPA Developer  0-7-6-1-