Subject: [LON-CAPA-dev] final update on LON-CAPA and linux.slapper.worm

From: Scott Harrison <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 15:36:19 -0400

Dear All:

Closure.

1. linux.slapper.worm was released onto the world on September 13, 2002.
   http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/slapper.shtml

2. This can only infect apache web servers that are running SSL.

3. The LON-CAPA server that was infected with linux.slapper.worm
   was running SSL.

4. Most LON-CAPA servers do not run SSL by default.
   THEREFORE YOU PROBABLY HAVE NOTHING TO IMMEDIATELY WORRY ABOUT.
   To check this,
   cd /etc/httpd/conf; grep '^[[:space:]]*SSL' *.conf

   If you see nothing, you are okay.

5. All of RedHat's SSL RPMs (even the up-to-date ones) are insecure
   and vulnerable to linux.slapper.worm.

6. If you believe, in principle, that security should involve BOTH a
   solid configuration PLUS secure software packages, you could
   check out the following sites:

   (Generally, PLD and Mandrake RPMs work okay on RedHat systems....)
   ftp://ftp.rpmfind.net/linux/PLD/test/i386/openssl-0.9.6f-1.i386.rpm
   ftp://ftp.rpmfind.net/linux/PLD/test/i686/openssl-0.9.6f-1.i686.rpm
   ftp://ftp.rpmfind.net/linux/Mandrake-devel/cooker/i586/Mandrake/RPMS/openssl-0.9.6g-1mdk.i586.rpm

   and, for extra credit, we might convince Martin to build a new RPM from

   http://www.openssl.org/source/

7. I would expect RedHat to release secure openssl packages within
   the next week.

.
.
.

How the LON-CAPA source code is changing to make these issues better
in the long-run:

8. Based on code changes done last week, CHECKRPMS is set up to
   automatically e-mail administrators (as defined in
   /etc/httpd/conf/loncapa.conf) every day in case of RPMs being
   out-of-date.

9. Now...if only there were some way to convince RedHat to religiously
   update all their RPMs with security patches, the solution in #8 would be
   complete.

Regards,
Scott

-- 
Scott Harrison, [email-masked]