Subject: [LON-CAPA-dev] Draft of 2.7.1 release announcement

From: Stuart Raeburn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 19:54:52 -0400

Hello,

This is a draft of the release announcement for 2.7.1.
Let me know if you see anything that doesn't seem right.

Thanks,

Stuart Raeburn
MSU LON-CAPA group

*******************

New Version 2.7.1 Released

This is primarily a bug fix release for version 2.7.0
It is highly recommended to update 2.7.0 installations with 2.7.1

To use this release you need to have version 1-12 of LONCAPA-prerequisites
installed.

If you are upgrading directly from 2.6.3 or earlier, the following  
applies to you:

One of the changes for 2.7 affects scantronformat.tab. After you have  
installed
2.7.1 on the primary library server in your domain, log-in,
select the Domain Coordinator role, and go to "Domain Configuration".
Check the box for "Scantron format file", click "Go", and if you currently
use a customized scantronformat.tab file it will be copied (behind the scenes)
from its current location to a new location where it will be
available for selection whenever scantron grading is used in a course
in your domain.

Changes from 2.7.0

Bug fixes for 2.7.0-specific bugs

- Dynamically generated plots are rendered again where a value has  
been included for the minorfreq in the ytics tag.
- Resources in a folder are available again for selection when  
printing the contents of a folder in Construction Space.
- Generation of printouts works again for vector problems for which  
multiple answers are required, but some have not been submitted.
- Domain Coordinators can again select co-author roles assigned to  
them in other domains.
- Spaces are no longer removed from submissions to stringresponse  
problems prior to grading.
- Stringresponse problems without a type (cs, ci, mc or re) set are  
again graded correctly in cases where the first or second character in  
the submitted string is a number.
- A list of accessible portfolio files can again be reached from a  
user's personal web page ("aboutme" page).

Bug fixes for other general bugs

- Complete breadcrumb trail now provided to students viewing  
Supplemental Documents, thereby allowing access to top level items,  
once items deeper in the hierarchy have been viewed.
- Pasting an item from Supplemental Documents to Main Documents no  
longer results in artifacts from HTML tags in the item title.
- More comprehensive format checking used for usernames of proposed  
collaborators in problems allowing submission by teams of students.
- Parameter Helper and Slot Manager now include current time zone when  
setting dates/times.
- Testbank importer in Construction space now displays an error  
message (including type of file uploaded) if the file was not plain  
text, RTF or HTML.
- Problems set to type "Practice" are available for selection when  
printing "just" problems from a folder.
- Assembly of e-mail addresses for users without permanent e-mail  
addresses now possible for users with local authentication in  
broadcast e-mail function available to Domain Coordinators.
- Migration from an overloaded server to a server listed in spare.tab  
now supported where the destination server uses SSL, if https has been  
included as an additional entry in the dns_hosts.tab for that server  
(send updates to [email-masked]).
- Access to submissions for problems with encrypted URLs from links in  
the course assessment progress chart (CHRT) now works for TAs.
- Display of problems with encrypted URLs now works for TAs when using  
"View" links available for some items in "course assessment  
statistics" (STAT).

Enhancements

- "Edit Answer" button used to open a pop-up DragMath, JME Editor, or  
Chemical reaction Editor pop-up window replaced with a pencil icon to  
the right of the text box used to enter the answer.
- A new parameter is provided to suppress the availability of the  
DragMath WYSIWYG Math Editor (default is for it to be available) for  
Math response and Formula response items.
- Access control based on IP address extended to other resources in a  
course besides problems.
- Algebra tag can include a display attribute to dictate which math  
rendering is to be used (tth, jsMath, mimetex).
- Disposition of events in the calendar display is now consistent with  
current time zone (displayed in Calendar header line).
- Instructional staff can generate printouts from the entire course  
for selected people.
- Launch Remote control link removed from inline navigation menu to  
reduce congestion. (All users will now need to visit User Preferences  
to launch the remote control).

To install this update:

1) You will need to be running Fedora Core 6, 7, 8, or 9, RHEL (AS|ES) 4 or 5,
     SUSE 10.1 10.2 or 10.3, SLES 9 or 10, CentOS 5, Scientific Linux 5
       (Fedora Core 5 should continue to work but is deprecated.)

2) Update to the latest LONCAPA-prerequisites (1-12)
    (skip if upgrading from 2.7.0)

(a) Fedora
yum update

(b) RedHat Enterprise 4

up2date -u LONCAPA-prerequisites

Note: LONCAPA-prerequisites for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 includes
a dependency on perl-libxml-enno-1.03.  If you already have perl-libxml-enno
iinstalled on your system it will be version 1.02.  If the update to
LONCAPA-prerequsites 1-12 fails to update perl-libxml-enno to 1.03,
you should update that package directly:

up2date -u perl-libxml-enno

(c) Red Hat 5/Centos 5/Scientific Linux 5

yum update

(d) SuSE/SLES

Use yast-> Installation Source to refresh the LON-CAPA repository
Use yast->Software Management->Search to update LONCAPA-prerequisites (to
version  1-12).

For SLES9, use yast->Software Management->Search to also update latex-ucs
(to version 20041017-31) after refreshing the LON-CAPA repository.

On all distributions, it is recommended that you check that you have the
correct versions of LONCAPA-prequisites installed before proceeding.

rpm -q LONCAPA-prequisites

should report:
LONCAPA-prerequisites-1-12.X

(where X is a distro identifier e.g., fc7.lc)

If you are using Red Hat 4, also check that you have
perl-libxml-enno version 1.03

rpm -q perl-libxml-enno

should report:
perl-libxml-enno-1.03-1.rhel4.lc

3) Download the new LON-CAPA tarball from
wget http://install.lon-capa.org/versions/loncapa-2.7.1.tar.gz

and untar it

tar xzvf loncapa-2.7.1.tar.gz

4) stop the LON-CAPA system services

/etc/rc.d/init.d/loncontrol stop

5) stop the webserver:

Fedora/RHEL/Centos/Scientific Linux
/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd stop

SLES 9:
/etc/init.d/apache stop

SUSE 10.1/SLES 10:
/etc/init.d/apache2 stop

6) Run the UPDATE script as root
cd loncapa-2.7.1
su
./UPDATE

7) restart the LON-CAPA system services
/etc/rc.d/init.d/loncontrol start

8) restart the webserver:

Fedora/RHEL/Centos/Scientific Linux
/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd start

SLES 9:
/etc/init.d/apache start

SUSE 10.1,2/SLES 10:
/etc/init.d/apache2 start

----NOTES
1) Many questions are answered at http://help.lon-capa.org
2) Defects reports, and enhancements requests can be entered at
     http://bugs.lon-capa.org
3) Mailing lists can be joined and left at http://mail.lon-capa.org

Stuart Raeburn
MSU LON-CAPA group

---

From: Stefan Bisitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 09:15:34 +0200

Stuart Raeburn wrote:
> [...]
> On all distributions, it is recommended that you check that you have
> the correct versions of LONCAPA-prequisites installed before
> proceeding.
> 

-> rpm -q LONCAPA-prerequisites

(second "re" was missing in "prerequisites")

Stefan