Subject: [LON-CAPA-dev] new install.lon-capa.org pages

From: Scott Harrison <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 09:35:14 -0400

Dear All:

Rather than postpone things any longer, I updated
http://install.lon-capa.org/ with new pages.

Note:
* the layout of the pages can be easily customized by making changes
  to loncom/build/doc_template.pl (in a very loose sense, like a
  stylesheet thing)
* machine-specific PerlSetVar's inside access.conf have yet to go inside
  loncapa.conf; nonetheless, the installation pages assume this has happened
* the ./UPGRADE & ./TEST commands released with the tarball (make tardist)
  are really alpha-level; nonetheless, the installation pages refer to
  them
* the FAQ on install.lon-capa.org still needs major improvement...
  it is only meant to be a subset of http://help.lon-capa.org/.
* the ./CHECKRPMS command is ummm not quite written yet; essentially
  the goal is to use Siegert's check-rpms command; the problem will
  be with system administrators trying to resolve those blasted
  dependencies (something we will TRY to resolve by publishing a
  "these are all the current rpms that belong on your system)
* building install.lon-capa.org web pages is described in
  doc/how_to_install_loncapa_org.txt

There are a number of many different sentences I would probably reword.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.  I am now rushing out of town
for two days, but should get back to you Thursday evening.

Sorry for the alpha-push, but I would rather gear things up now
and experience pain than wait for the month to elapse and not
have things come together.  I will try to access.conf --> loncapa.conf
on my laptop and CVS commit on Thursday or Friday.

Regards,
Scott

-- 
Scott Harrison, [email-masked]

"If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep
streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed
music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep streets
so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to
say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well."
--Martin Luther King, Jr.

---

From: Gerd Kortemeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 09:46:10 -0400

Hi Scott,

THANKS SO MUCH!!!

- Gerd.

Scott Harrison wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> LON-CAPA-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://mail.lon-capa.org/mailman/listinfo/lon-capa-dev