Subject: [LON-CAPA-dev] New Beta version 0.99.2

From: Guy Albertelli II <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 18:40:07 -0400 (EDT)

New Beta Version 0.99.2 Released

Annother attempt at a 1.0 release, things should be getting better.

53 bugs fixed in this release.
http://bugs.loncapa.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&resolution=FIXED&chfield=bug_status&chfieldfrom=May+30&chfieldto=June+13

Including 

 * publishing generates correct metadata, REPUBLISH any homework
   published with 0.99.0 or 0.99.1
 * remote control alot better about window handling, should be many
   fewer windows popping up
 * Grading/Upload scores screens should work again
 * IE and formulas is workign again
 * <allow> tag works again
 * <imageresponse> editable
 * possibly fix the 'Cannot Initialize course' bug, If you see this
   anymore let us know we are trying to track down what is causing it.

1) You will need to be running Redhat 7.X (preferably 7.3)
   for this release to work

2) download and install the 3.7 systemperl rpm

If you are running RedHat 7.X get
http://install.loncapa.org/resources/LON-CAPA-systemperl-3.7-rh7.i386.rpm

Install it by doing:
rpm -e `rpm -q -a | grep systemperl`
rpm --install --force --nodeps LON-CAPA-systemperl-3.7-rh7.i386.rpm

Verify it is installed by doing:

$ rpm -q LON-CAPA-systemperl

RedHat 7.X will show
LON-CAPA-systemperl-3.7-rh7

3) Download the new LON-CAPA tarball from
wget http://install.lon-capa.org/versions/loncapa-0.99.2.tar.gz

and untar it

tar xzvf loncapa-0.99.2.tar.gz

4) Run the UPDATE script as root
cd loncapa-0.99.2
su
./UPDATE

5) restart the system services
/etc/rc.d/init.d/loncontrol stop
/etc/rc.d/init.d/loncontrol start
/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd stop
/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd start

----NOTES
1) Many questions are answered at http://help.lon-capa.org
    - please add more questions and answers
2) Defect reports, and enhancement requests can be entered at
   http://bugs.lon-capa.org
3) Mailing lists can be joined and left at http://mail.lon-capa.org
4) We have withdrawn support for RedHat 6.2 for subsequent releases
   please update your systems to RedHat 7.3
5) We are working on supporting RedHat 8.0 and 9 more easily, but for
   right now Lon-CAPA should work on 8.0 or 9 systems, You will need
   to install all of the CPAN modules by hand, (You can use the TEST
   script to find out what is missing.) And you can use the
   apache/mod_perl/mm rpms at http://install.loncapa.org/resources/ to
   install apache 1.3.X and mod_perl 1

-- 
[email-masked]  LON-CAPA Developer  0-7-6-9-

---

From: "H. K. Ng" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 08:33:23 -0400

I finally got all the pieces together for localauth for users to 
authenticate against fsu accounts. However, when I put it in loncapa, the 
module doesn't seems to get called. Questions:

1. What does the argument after the local authentication refers to? (My 
guess is local authentication refers to authentication against the 
university system.)

2. What do I need to do to make sure that localauth.pm is installed?

Thanks,
HK

---

From: Guy Albertelli II <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 18:28:00 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Hon-Kie,

> 1. What does the argument after the local authentication refers to?

It can be whatever you want it to be.
Here is an example call:

use strict;
use ckid;
sub localauth {
  my ($uname,$upass,$args)= @_;
  my ($correct,$msg)=&ckid::unsecurecheckid($uname,$upass,1,0);
  #unsecurecheckid is backwards from us.
  if ($correct eq 0) { return 1; }
  return 0;
}

lond will call the localauth function with the username that was
entered, a cleartext copy of the password, and whatever appears after
the : in this particular students passwd file.

localauth needs to return either a 1 (correct password) or a 0
(incorrect password)

Notice the above example doesn't use the $args

> 2. What do I need to do to make sure that localauth.pm is installed?

It needs to exist in the /home/httpd/lib/perl/ directory.

remebe that lond is the one calling it, so you will need to restart
lond after making changes to localauth.pm.