Subject: [LON-CAPA-dev] Exclamation marks on pages....

From: "Matthew Brian Hall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 11:23:30 -0500 (EST)

Hey there.

Just thought I'd voice my opinion:

1. The window for the bugzilla link ("!") is definately too small.
2. It's hard for me to view the software as reliable if we have a link
   to our bug reporting page everywhere.
3. If we *must* have these links everywhere, can we have them in a less
   obtrusive place than the top of the page below the standard header?
   Why not make them a part of the header?

Matthew
--
------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthew Hall           LON-CAPA developer         [email-masked]
123 North Kedzie Hall                    Michigan State University
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Gerd Kortemeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 11:42:00 -0500

Hi,

We had talked about the Bugzilla link in one of the developer meetings 
a few weeks ago, where somebody suggested it ... I had the same concern 
initially: why would I trust a software that has a link to a 
bug-tracking system?

I came around when I noticed the "Report a bug" in the menus of 
commercial software, and actually was frustrated by NOT finding one in 
another system. Also, I was very annoyed in a faculty meeting where 
faculty brought up bugs in the middle of an important meeting (this 
happened twice now), and complained about this and that not working - 
very public in front of chairs and deanlets. We pointed out that this 
should go into Bugzilla. The standard reaction is: that is too 
complicated. So we get smacked publicly with maximum damage.

Why not in the header? It's because I tried to pre-fill-in the 
categories - note that some of the fields are already selected. Oddly 
enough, I could not set the version via the query string. The standard 
bodytag-routine does not have this parameter, and given how the number 
of parameters to bodytag increased, it would now be the n-th parameter 
down.

Things one could look at:

* switching this off in the production version. Not having the 
respective entries in loncapa_apache.conf will make the boxes go away.
* currently this only shows for advanced users. One could decide that 
only really really advanced users see them (domain coordinators, for 
example)
* ...

- Gerd.

On Jan 15, 2004, at 11:23 AM, Matthew Brian Hall wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> LON-CAPA-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://mail.lon-capa.org/mailman/listinfo/lon-capa-dev

---

From: "Matthew Brian Hall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 13:25:22 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

Okay, you've sold me on it.  I'd like to overcome the difficulties and
find a way to put it in the header, though.  I'll play with it too.

We really need the link available to CCs - our DC already does a good job
of filing bugs.

Matthew