Subject: [LON-CAPA-dev] aspell packages

From: "Matthew Brian Hall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 18:36:37 -0400

Hi. 

I've built packages for aspell, the various languages, and the CPAN module 
Text::Aspell. 

Fedora users should get the needed files from our yum repository.  Setting 
up your yum.conf file is described in 
http://mail.lon-capa.org/pipermail/lon-capa-dev/2004-July/001258.html 

Executing (once your yum.conf file is configured): 

yum install perl-Text-Aspell 

will take care of the installation.  The aspell packages may already be 
installed on your system.  Running "yum install aspell" should take care of 
things.  If you need a language other than "en" installed, search for them 
with "yum search aspell" and then choose one to install from the list. 

Redhat 7.3 users should get the new systemperl (version 3.12) and the aspell 
packages from from http://install.loncapa.org/resources/ and go through the 
usual abuse of rpm: 

rpm -e `rpm -q -a | grep systemperl`
rpm --install --force --nodeps LON-CAPA-systemperl-3.11-rh7.i386.rpm 

and install the aspell packages with something like: 

rpm -Uvh aspell*rpm 

The following text is a reminder to myself about what I had to do to get 
aspell to compile on Redhat 7.3: 

The aspell 0.50 source package available for Fedora will compile on Redhat 
7.3 but it will not install (it will list as dependencies prior versions of 
the libraries it provides itself [sigh]).  Removing the patches from the 
aspell.spec file fixes this behaviour, although I'm not sure it's necessary 
to remove both patches.  Installation of aspell-devel is required for 
compilation of the CPAN module Text::Aspell.  I was unable to get the Fedora 
source package of aspell to compile on Fedora but pre-packaged versions of 
aspell-devel are available via various yum repositories so I was able to 
compile Text::Aspell without trouble once I gave up trying to compile aspell 
itself. 

 ---------------------------------------
Matthew Hall           [email-masked]
LON-CAPA developer
Michigan State University
 ---------------------------------------