Subject: [LON-CAPA-dev] dependency bug in LONCAPA-prerequisites-1-7.suse?

From: Martin Siegert <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 13:18:01 -0700

Hi there,

I believe that there is a bug in the LONCAPA-prerequisites-1-7.suse
package for SuSE-9.2: it lists krb5-libs as a dependency, but krb5-libs
cannot be installed on SuSE-9.2 since it conflicts with the heimdal-lib
package that comes with SuSE-9.2. Thus, I had to use the --nodeps flag
to install the LONCAPA-prerequisites-1-7.suse rpm, which completely
defeats the purpose of that package.

I believe that the krb5-libs package is necessary only to compile the
perl-Authen-Krb4 and perl-Authen-Krb5 packages using STATIC libraries.
The krb5-libs packages should never be installed on a SuSE-9.x box
with x < 3 (for SuSE-9.1 I actually only created a krb5-devel package
- not a krb5-libs package - which I use exclusively to compile the
perl-Authen-Krb* packages).

Thus, my question is: are the perl-Authen-Krb4 and perl-Authen-Krb5
compiled using static libraries? As far as I can tell this is the case:

ldd /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5/i586-linux-thread-multi/auto/Authen/Krb5/Krb5.so
	linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xffffe000)
	libcom_err.so.2 => /lib/libcom_err.so.2 (0x4009a000)
	libresolv.so.2 => /lib/libresolv.so.2 (0x4009e000)
	libc.so.6 => /lib/tls/libc.so.6 (0x400b1000)
	/lib/ld-linux.so.2 => /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x80000000)

In that case the solution is easy: re"compile" the LONCAPA-prerequisites
package without the krb5-libs dependency.

Cheers,
Martin

-- 
Martin Siegert
Head, HPC@SFU
WestGrid Site Manager
Academic Computing Services                        phone: (604) 291-4691
Simon Fraser University                            fax:   (604) 291-4242
Burnaby, British Columbia                          email: [email-masked]
Canada  V5A 1S6

---

From: "Stuart Peter Raeburn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 17:50:29 -0400

Martin, 

It looks like the krb5-libs dependency mistakenly made its way into 
LONCAPA-prerequisites 1.7 for SuSE 9.2 in early October when the 
perl-DateManip dependency was added. 

I'll build a corrected LONCAPA-prerequisites for SuSE 9.2 (x86 and x86_64 
versions) in the next couple of days, once I have had an opportunity to 
repurpose build machines that were being used for SLES 9 and SuSE 10.0. 

Out of curiosity, do you plan to continue with SuSE 9.2 for the foreseeable 
future, or do you have a timetable for migrating the SFU LON-CAPA servers to 
SuSE 9.3 or 10.0? 

Stuart 

Stuart Raeburn
MSU LON-CAPA development/support 

Martin Siegert writes: 

> _______________________________________________
> LON-CAPA-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://mail.lon-capa.org/mailman/listinfo/lon-capa-dev 
>

---

From: Martin Siegert <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 14:57:50 -0700

Hi Stuart,

> repurpose build machines that were being used for SLES 9 and SuSE 10.0. 

Since we still have all those 9.2 machines I could easily build that
rpm so that you don't have to rebuild a machine just for that rpm.

> future, or do you have a timetable for migrating the SFU LON-CAPA servers 
> to SuSE 9.3 or 10.0? 

I usually do not upgrade machines just because there is a newer version
out there. However, if you would like to drop support for 9.2 we
should be able to upgrade to 9.3 without big problems.

I have no experience yet with opensuse/10.0 - I simply have not
had the time to play with that.

Cheers,
Martin