Subject: [LON-CAPA-dev] port 80

From: Scott Harrison <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 16:10:57 -0500

Regarding
http://help.loncapa.org/fom/cache/198.html

Does LON-CAPA source code require port 80, or is that requirement
simply an artefact of a regular apache configuration?

In other words, can the apache configuration be modified, and will
http://somewhere.edu:8080/ work just fine?

Regards,
Scott

-- 
Scott Harrison, [email-masked]

---

From: Guy Albertelli II <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 16:39:32 -0500 (EST)

Hi Scott,

> http://somewhere.edu:8080/ work just fine?

Some info first

1) loncapa now runs 2 webservers
2) the aux. webserver runs on 8080 and serves up the remote control
images
3) there are areas in the login where we build the URL and I know we
don't look at the port number

For the first question, we have some small portions of the code make
assumptions about not needing to specify a port

For the second question, 8080 specifically won't work, and no not
easily.

-- 
[email-masked]          BM: n^20 t20 z20 qS 
Guy Albertelli -7-7-7-  O-
    Only a lack of imagination saves me from immobilizing myself with
    imaginary fears.

---

From: Scott Harrison <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 16:58:16 -0500

> assumptions about not needing to specify a port

Okay... so is it correct to say that the danger of non-port-80
configurations is that critical URLs would get overwritten as being
from port-80 and the web server would be configured to not
support port-80...ergo the port-80 requirement.  Yes?

---

From: Guy Albertelli II <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 17:22:42 -0500 (EST)

Hi Scott,

> support port-80...ergo the port-80 requirement.  Yes?

Yep.

-- 
[email-masked]          BM: n^20 t20 z20 qS 
Guy Albertelli -7-7-7-  O-
    I am grateful that I am not as judgmental as all those censorious,
    self-righteous people around me.