Subject: [LON-CAPA-dev] new systemperl out

From: Guy Albertelli II <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 18:10:45 -0400 (EDT)

Hey All,

For those of you doing dev on a RH7.3 machine a new systemperl is out
for all y'all.

http://install.loncapa.org/resources/LON-CAPA-systemperl-3.10-rh7.i386.rpm

Let me know if anything bursts into flames.

-- 
[email-masked]  LON-CAPA Developer  0-7-4-3-

---

From: "H. K. Ng" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 08:30:11 -0400

Does loncapa (now) requires internet connection for it to allow logins? I 
successfully installed Fedora Core 2 and the loncapa software on my laptop. 
When the laptop is connected to the internet, I can login but cannot login 
if not connected. The lonc process is listed as >> DEAD <<. Is there 
something I need to set for standalone w/o internet connection? Thanks, -hk

---

From: Guy Albertelli II <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 08:37:43 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Hon-Kie,

> Does loncapa (now) requires internet connection for it to allow
> logins?

No.

However you will _need_ to have updated eveyrthing to yesterday.

If you don't have my changes to loncapafiles.lpml from yesterday you
will be unable to get a machine working.

-- 
[email-masked]  LON-CAPA Developer  0-7-4-1-

---

From: "H. K. Ng" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 08:41:56 -0400

Hi Guy,

>will be unable to get a machine working.

I installed version 1.1.99.0, not the development software. It allows me to 
login if the laptop is connected to the internet but shortly after I 
disconnect the internet it will not let me login. -hk

---

From: Guy Albertelli II <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 21:07:36 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Hon-Kie,

> disconnect the internet it will not let me login. -hk 

That is strange, can you send me the results of 

ifconfig
route

from both before and after you unplug the network

and also the contents of
/etc/hosts
and
hosts.tab
?

(sorry taking so long, I'm in Boston right now.)
-- 
[email-masked]  LON-CAPA Developer  0-7-4-1-

---

From: "H. K. Ng" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 08:55:39 -0400

Hi Guy,

Attached are the files. Running

ps aux | grep lon

shows that lonc parent is running but the lonc connection to fsul2 
is >>DEAD<< after I disconnect the laptop to the internet.

Thanks for taking a look into this. On a separate question, how do one get 
the wireless card to work on Fedora Core 2 on a laptop? I tries ndiswrapper 
but no success.

-hk

>_______________________________________________
>LON-CAPA-dev mailing list
>[email-masked]
>http://mail.lon-capa.org/mailman/listinfo/lon-capa-dev

---

From: Guy Albertelli II <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 03:53:25 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Hon-Kie,

Looks to me like

1) your have configured loncapa to look for IP is 128.X.X.X  when
   connecting to yourself

2) your routing table says to look for 128.X.X.* on eth0

So when you pull out the ethernet cable it isn't suprising that it has
trouble finding it.

if you get it to look for things on 127.0.0.1 it will work better

1) make this the first entry in /etc/hosts

127.0.0.1    whatever.the.hostname.is

2) change your hosts.tab to have look for IP 127.0.0.1

3) restart services and it should be good to go.

As for wireless cards on Linux, I have never tried to use one myself.

---

From: Jeremy Bowers <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 10:49:29 +0000

> As for wireless cards on Linux, I have never tried to use one myself.

It Can Be Done, but it can be a pain.

If you don't have one of the rare cards that have drivers in the kernel, 
check out ndisloader, or what I use, DriverLoader by Linuxant 
(www.linuxant.com), which is commercial but works for me.