Subject: [LON-CAPA-dev] surveys and resources in general

From: Mark Lucas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 11:12:55 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

Matt Phillips and I were talking a bit more about the instructor rating 
stuff. We're heading off to Hocking College this afternoon for a quick 
Q/A session.
(quick summary: they want the Instructor to fill out a survey about the
Student that is archived at the end of the course)

In a more general sense this would just be a resource that an instructor
attaches to a course, but instead of the student filling it in, the
instructor fills it in.

An resource or map might be tagged as:
- writeable by user
- writeable by course coordinator
- writeable by either

Viewability by student can be handled by the standard open/close/answer 
dates under parameters.

I know this has come up before in the context of being a different user.
This would eventually need to be streamlined a bit for the purpose of 
these instructor evaluations of students (basically like handgrading an
assignment, but actually able to enter the values).

Is this a semi-reasonable way to look at the problem? Is this a reasonable 
facility to have?

Thanks,
Mark
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark Lucas					email: [email-masked]
252D Clippinger Lab  				phone: (740)597-2984
Department of Physics and Astronomy             fax:   (740)593-0433
Ohio University
Athens, OH 45701

---

From: Guy Albertelli II <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 12:14:20 -0500 (EST)

Hi Mark,

> attaches to a course, but instead of the student filling it in, the

Hrrm, we sort of have a resource/method of doing this but perhaps it
needs more fleshing out.

We have the <dataresponse> response type, which is only allowed to be
answered by a user who has the mgr permission (Modify grades) but logs
it against a specific user. It might not be completely funtional right
now.

It allows one to create a a specific entry in the SPRS, and is how we
envisioned adding more new data fields to the SPRS

The other method is the 'handgrade' attribute, which tries to specify
that a resource is it be graded by hand, as opposed to the computer
grading it.

I think extending on of these might work for your purposes. . .

> - writeable by course coordinator

I would highly suggest basing things like this off of a role
permission rather than a role.

So either writable by a user with mgr, or by a user without mgr, or
both. (Or maybe a new role attribute)

-- 
[email-masked]  LON-CAPA Developer  0-7-7-4-