Subject: [LON-CAPA-dev] Default language configuration

From: Ricardo Luis Kulzer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 02:14:51 -0300

I would like to give you a suggestion in the internationalization topic.

In the current version (1.0.99), the default language for each new user 
of the system (authors, students, etc) is English, and the style of the 
Remote Control is like this: 
http://143.106.50.70/~ricardol/loncapa/Old_Remote_Control.jpg (see the 
time and date in the display, marked with a red circle).

The only way of change the default language of a new user is through the 
personal preferences window, accessed through the remote control. 
Changing the default language, the user will also have a new style of 
the Remote Control, like this: 
http://143.106.50.70/~ricardol/loncapa/New_Remote_Control.jpg

However, if we want all new users working in another language different 
from the English (Portuguese, for example), the only way is to instruct 
all the user to change the personal preferences, which some times can be 
complicated if the students don't know a little of English and want work 
only in their native language . 

I think would be interesting to insert a mechanism that allows the 
administrator set the language of the system in the installation (I 
think it could be asked in the UPDATE script). So, in Japan for example, 
when the administrator install the LON-CAPA system, he selects the 
Japanese language as default. So each new user (author, student, etc)  
will already have the Japanese as default language automatically. In the 
same way, here in Brazil the administrator will select the Portuguese as 
the default language for all the users of the LON-CAPA.

Thanks,

Ricardo L. Kulzer

----- Original Message -----
From: "Guy Albertelli II"  <[email-masked]>
To: "lon-capa-admin" <[email-masked]>;  "lon-capa-dev" 
<[email-masked]>; "lon-capa-users"
<[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, November 27, 2003 7:43 AM
Subject: [LON-CAPA-users] Version 1.0.99

New Version 1.0.99 Released

Codename "Basted Turkey"

This is a test release in preparation for 1.1. If you have a machine
that isn't actively running a course we'd like it if you could helps
us shake out any bugs in time for the 1.1 release.

Notable Changes:
- start of localization (currently has partial interfaces for
 German, Japanese, Portugese, Russian, Turkish) if you'd like
 to do the translations for another language let use know

---

From: Gerd Kortemeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 13:34:03 -0500

Hi Ricardo,

On Nov 30, 2003, at 12:14 AM, Ricardo Luis Kulzer wrote:

>
> However, if we want all new users working in another language 
> different from the English (Portuguese, for example), the only way is 
> to instruct all the user to change the personal preferences, which 
> some times can be complicated if the students don't know a little of 
> English and want work only in their native language .
> think it could be asked in the UPDATE script).

Actually, there is such a place, namely inside of 
/home/httpd/lonTabs/domain.tab - here for every domain the default 
language setting is specified.

Here's an example:

fsu:Florida State University:::en-US:Tallahassee, FL:-84.28:30.438
msu:Michigan State University:krb4:MSU.EDU:en-US:East Lansing, 
MI:-84.483:42.737
nau:Northern Arizona University:::en-US:Flagstaff, AZ:-111.65:35.198
ohiou:Ohio University:krb5:oak_cell:en-US:Athens, OH:-82.1:39.329
umich:University of Michigan:::en-US:Ann Arbor, MI:-83.745:42.283

First entry is domain shorthand, next one is full domain name, next one 
is default authentication mechanism, next one argument to default 
authentication mechanism, and then comes the default language - for 
your domain it should be "pt" (since I do not think we defined 
"pt-BR"). Next is city, then come geo-coordinates.

- Gerd.