Subject: [LON-CAPA-dev] kerberos 5

From: Mark Lucas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 10:24:14 -0400 (EDT)

Hi-

	I have successfully configured one of my machines to authenticate 
kerberos via krb5 and kinit. It will not yet authenticate with loncapa.
Does the loncapa kerberos assume that the server is willing to serve up 
krb4? I'm currently checking with our local types to see if there is 
backward compatibility in their implementation. Are there any plans to 
implement krb5 in loncapa?

					Thanks!
					   Mark

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark Lucas					email: [email-masked]
252D Clippinger Lab  				phone: (740)597-2984
Department of Physics and Astronomy             fax:   (740)593-0433
Ohio University
Athens, OH 45701

---

From: Scott Harrison <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 11:31:57 -0400

Hi Mark,

LON-CAPA currently supports kerberos version 4, not kerberos version 5.
For more information, see BUG #663 which describes the probable fixes.

In fact, if you try the suggested patches
at http://bugs.lon-capa.org/show_bug.cgi?id=663

you could probably get it to work (before we thoroughly go after it).

LON-CAPA should be made to support Kerberos version 5.

Regards,
Scott

> _______________________________________________
> LON-CAPA-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://mail.lon-capa.org/mailman/listinfo/lon-capa-dev
> ------( NOTE )------------->
> This E-mail was scanned for viruses by Ramcell Online (http://www.ramcell.net/antivirus.asp)
> 

-- 
Scott Harrison, [email-masked]

---

From: Gerd Kortemeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 10:54:34 -0400

Hi,

While this is still being worked on, it is important to note that lond will now die a very quiet
death if Authen::Krb5 is not installed on your machine. All you will see is that your box does
not connect anywhere, no error messages.

* Get Authen::Krb5 from CPAN in your favorite way
* the Makefile.PL is broken. Change "/usr/local/krb5/" to "/usr/kerberos/"

Then run make, make install and stuff. Of course, we do not bother to tell you this in any way,
because we do want you to fail and get frustrated.

- Gerd.

---

From: Guy Albertelli II <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 11:04:49 -0400 (EDT)

Hi All,

> not connect anywhere, no error messages.

Sorry I assumed everyone reads all of the CVS commits.

Silly me. :-)

-- 
[email-masked]          BM: n^20 t20 z20 qS 
Guy Albertelli -7-8-4-  O-
    Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there
    are no sweeter words than "I told you so."

---

From: Mark Lucas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 12:19:42 -0400 (EDT)

Gerd,

	There are two initialization statements in the middle of the code. 
Is this where the quiet death occurs? If so, is there a good way to check 
for the code, or is this just a hiccup while the new CPAN downloading is 
being implemented?

					Mark

---

From: Guy Albertelli II <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 13:14:55 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Mark,
> Is this where the quiet death occurs? 

It is on the use line.

> If so, is there a good way to check for the code, or is this just a
> hiccup while the new CPAN downloading is being implemented?

If lond starts up it is fine,

I .e

ps auxwww | grep lond

If lond is running all is well.

-- 
[email-masked]          BM: n^20 t20 z20 qS 
Guy Albertelli -7-8-4-  O-
    I would love to but . . . I've come down with a really horrible
    case of something or other.

---

From: Scott Harrison <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 13:46:31 -0400

Hi Mark,

With the latest loncapa/loncom/build/system_dependencies/perltest.pl
(which now works very well),

To check for Krb5:
  cd loncapa/loncom/build/system_dependencies
  perl perltest.pl | grep Krb5

To check all the needed perl modules on your LON-CAPA system:
  cd loncapa/loncom/build/system_dependencies
  make perltest

Regards,
Scott

---

From: Scott Harrison <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 14:02:14 -0400

Hi all,

A minor update on making PERL on your system to behave like LEGO BLOCKS.

The process for building self-extracting "binaries" that will cleanly
install/upgrade/uninstall CPAN distribution packages is currently working,
though these self-extracting-installing packages are not yet released.

I still need to make a minor bug fix to
http://search.cpan.org/author/SHARRISON/RPM-Tools-0.5/
related to valid characters in the dynamically generated RPM names.

> * the Makefile.PL is broken. Change "/usr/local/krb5/" to "/usr/kerberos/"

Yes... sigh... the only way is to make the change above.

Lately, I have been formally incorporating all the different CPAN
"compilation tweaks" and "source code patches" so that we can automate them
(and also, in a sense, probe for them) on any LON-CAPA filesystem.

Based on using this approach on my own systems, I am very optimistic that this
will make it VERY EASY to help LON-CAPA grow/refine itself in terms of
changing CPAN packages as well as several new CPAN packages that I have been
thinking of introducing.

It will also help increase security in terms of WHAT is on the filesystem.

There is room for optimism.  Once I get home next week to the moral support of
my dog, finishing this off will be a no-brainer.

Regards,
Scott