Subject: [LON-CAPA-dev] [Fwd: O.K.I. Update -- June 2003]

From: Helen Keefe <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 16:19:31 -0400

I didn't know if you are on the mailing list for OKI.

If you are, please disregard.

Helen

Subject: O.K.I. Update -- June 2003
From: "O.K.I. Info" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 15:40:59 -0400

---------------------------
An O.K.I. Update:
---------------------------

Open Service Interface Definitions Released
for Educational Software and Learning Management Systems

CAMBRIDGE, MA, June 10th, 2003—The Open Knowledge Initiative (O.K.I.) 
announced today the public release of its Open Service Interface 
Definitions (OSIDs).  These interoperability specifications have been 
designed to support infrastructure level interoperability for a wide 
variety of enterprise applications, particularly educational software and 
learning management systems.

The Open Service Interface Definitions (OSIDs), released today as 1.0 
Release Candidate 4, include services referred to as Common Services, and 
specifically define how educational software may access various elements of 
enterprise infrastructure.  This release includes the following services: 
Authentication, Authorization, Filing, DBC, SQL, Logging, Dictionary, 
Hierarchy, and Shared.

These services have been defined abstractly and are provided as Java 
Application Programming Interfaces, thus they are immediately available for 
use by java application developers.  Today’s release, version 1.0 RC4, 
marks the beginning of a 60 day public comment period, during which we 
encourage feedback on these OSIDs through the SourceForge discussion forums 
described below.

The Common Services OSID package is available on SourceForge at 
http://sourceforge.net/projects/okiproject. Software developers are 
encouraged to use the SourceForge discussion forums to provide feedback and 
comment.

The Common Services represent only part of the O.K.I. OSID 
deliverable.  Additional OSIDs that are still undergoing beta level 
iteration include: Workflow, User Messaging, Scheduling, Digital 
Repository, Class Admin, Assessment and Grading.  These service definitions 
are also available in the package currently available on SourceForge, but 
they are not currently at 1.0 Release Candidate status.

More general information regarding the O.K.I. OSIDs is available at 
http://web.mit.edu/oki.

-----------------------------------------------------
About the Open Knowledge Initiative
-----------------------------------------------------

The Open Knowledge Initiative (O.K.I.) is defining an open and extensible 
architecture for learning technology specifically targeted to the needs of 
the higher education community. O.K.I. provides detailed specifications for 
interfaces among components of a learning management environment, to be 
used both by commercial product vendors and by higher education product 
developers. It provides a stable, scalable base that supports the 
flexibility needed by higher education as learning technology is 
increasingly integrated into the education process. Originally funded by 
the Mellon Foundation, the project is led by the Massachusetts Institute of 
Technology in close collaboration with Stanford University, the University 
of Michigan, Dartmouth College, North Carolina State University, the 
University of Pennsylvania, the University of Wisconsin-Madison, Indiana 
University, and the University of Cambridge.

You are receiving this email as a member of the OKI announcement list. To 
unsubscribe, please write to [email-masked]