Subject: [LON-CAPA-dev] lonparmset

From: Mark Lucas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 14:47:17 -0500 (EST)

Hi-

	Robert and I have been working on lonparmset a little down here at
OU (well, mainly Robert with lots of harassment from me 8) ). We provide a
couple of different options for viewing of parameter lists. It would be
great if people could take a look at it and provide feedback.

	I presume the following will work:

If you have an account on a machine in any of the development clusters
that talks to oucapa1, log into capa1.phy.ohiou.edu as yourself. Select a
dummy course that you have. When you select PARM, you will see the
modified parmset.

	The basic premise is that an instructor will typically want to set
default parameters for a map (in my case, an assignment). Having 3 or 4
columns for all available problems in the map is a bit overwhelming.

	Under this version, you can still select a specific section or
user. You can also select all maps or a specific map. Individual types of
parameters can be selected through checkboxes. Parts can be selected in 
the scrollable list.

	The major change is the addition of 'Select Parameter Level'.

Selecting 'Resource Level [FULL]' will give a display much like before.

Selecting 'Resource Level [BRIEF]' will give a display with only one
       real resource column - 'Any User in Course for Resource'
       (ie., changing the weighting for that particular problem)

Selecting 'Map Level' will give an abbreviated display for each map
      that has been selected. It simply allows one to change the default
      values for that map (essentially part 0).

Selecting 'Course Level' will give an abbreviated display with the
      coursewide defaults.

For any of the last 3 choices, selection of a particular section or a
particular user will display defaults for that particular situation.

	Any feedback is quite welcome!!!

	We have been focusing on trying to get this first level of 
features implemented. We are still trying to figure out how we can make
the selection area more intuitive and simpler to navigate. One thought was
to present an introductory screen which has more instructor-friendly
'presets'. Another is simply rearranging the lists and drop-downs to fit
on the screen better. Designing nice, smooth interfaces is not our 
strength. Is there anyone at MSU who has advice on this?

						Thanks!!!
						   Mark 

PS - Caveat - We have been having some troubles with maps which do not 
have a part 0. Robert has been in touch with Guy, and Robert is going to 
dive back in and work on that. If a map does not have a part 0, the
current implementation picks 'some other part' as the default parameter.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark Lucas					email: [email-masked]
252D Clippinger Lab  				phone: (740)597-2984
Department of Physics and Astronomy             fax:   (740)593-0433
Ohio University
Athens, OH 45701

---

From: Guy Albertelli II <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 14:53:04 -0500 (EST)

Hi Mark,

> have a part 0.

Others may enjoy hearing my answer on this.

All problems have a Part 0, whether or not the metadata says so.

All problems have and will look at Part 0 if nothing more specific is set.

Otherwise I like the direction Robert is going in.

-- 
[email-masked]        BM: n^20 t20 z20 qS 
Guy Albertelli -7-9-4-  O-
    I would love to but . . . I prefer to remain an enigma.

---

From: "Matthew Brian Hall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 14:56:25 -0500 (EST)

Mark,

A few features have been added to lonparmset here at MSU as well.  I hope
these can be included in your version without much hassle if they aren't in
it already.  The main feature enhancement that comes to mind is the
addition of a "browse" link for setting the main map of a course.
Clicking the "browse" calls up lonindexer (hacked to only display
*.sequence files) and lets you pick your map from the filesystem instead
of having to remember the full path.

Unfortunately I can't view the page you mentioned in your email...

> [...] Designing nice, smooth interfaces is not our

If you find someone like this, let me know.

Matthew

--
------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthew Hall           LON-CAPA developer         [email-masked]
123 North Kedzie Hall                    Michigan State University
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Gerd Kortemeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 16:20:16 -0500

Unfortunately, now a lot of resources have been published without making
their part 0 known, so we need to work around this.

Guy Albertelli II wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> LON-CAPA-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://mail.lon-capa.org/mailman/listinfo/lon-capa-dev

---

From: Guy Albertelli II <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 16:28:47 -0500 (EST)

> > All problems have a Part 0, whether or not the metadata says so.
                                        ^^^^^^
The or not is the important part of this line.

-- 
[email-masked]        BM: n^20 t20 z20 qS 
Guy Albertelli -7-9-4-  O-
    I have the choice: to live my life in wellness. . .  or get sick
    and wallow in all that attention.