Subject: [LON-CAPA-dev] Perl Module notes

From: "Matthew Brian Hall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 12:20:39 -0500 (EST)

Hi.

I just ran into this problem and found the solution.  I thought I'd pass
it along because others (Scott & Guy) are likely to run into it.

If, when compiling a perl module you get the error:

`sv_undef' undeclared

You need to re-make the makefile with a new parameter:

perl Makefile.PL POLLUTE=1

The reason this is needed is:

> 5.005_53 and later releases do not export unadorned
> global symbols anymore.
(http://igloo.its.unimelb.edu.au/Webmail/tips/msg00543.html)
--
------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthew Hall           LON-CAPA developer         [email-masked]
123 North Kedzie Hall                    Michigan State University
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Scott Harrison <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 12:38:51 -0500

Hi Matthew:

Note that an initial strategy I am working on is:
loncapa/modules/sharrison/autocpan/make_build_cpan_rpms.pl
loncapa/loncom/build/system_dependencies/cpanbuild/DISTNAME.commands.

Any effort you can make to document specialized commands inside
loncapa/loncom/build/system_dependencies/cpanbuild/*.commands files
will be infinitely helpful.

Obviously, standard things like
perl Makefile.PL; make && make test && make install
do not really need to be documented.

Reminder (which you probably are already aware of):
a new systemperl RPM will need to be built on a RH6.2 machine
in order to be installable anywhere.

Hopefully, by version 0.7.0, handling cpan modules on lon-capa
systems will be a little more plug-n-play.  I really regret
that I have not helped much with the 0.6.0 release and am
in awe of everyone's efforts.

Another request: if you can update cpan_distributions.txt with
any improvements to systemperl RPM, that might greatly help.

Regards,
Scott

On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 12:20:39PM -0500, Matthew Brian Hall wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> LON-CAPA-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://mail.lon-capa.org/mailman/listinfo/lon-capa-dev

---

From: "Matthew Brian Hall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 14:17:32 -0500 (EST)

Hey Scott,

> will be infinitely helpful.
Okay, I'll try to keep reasonably good notes and update as I go.

> in order to be installable anywhere.
Believe me, I'm aware of it...

Last time I built the systemperl I just copied yours and went with it.  This
time....  Well, it's a pain to roll from scratch (every version of every
module, and all those dependencies too).

Matthew

---

From: Scott Harrison <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 14:33:09 -0500

> module, and all those dependencies too).

Beer or aspirin?