Subject: [LON-CAPA-dev] Draft of release notes for 2.8.1

From: Stuart Raeburn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 15:20:25 -0400

Let me know if you see anything missing, or in need of changing, in  
the draft version of the 2.8.1 release notes.

Thanks,

Stuart Raeburn
MSU LON-CAPA group

*****

New Version 2.8.1 Released

This is primarily a bug fix release for version 2.8.0
It is recommended to update 2.8.0 installations with 2.8.1

Changes from 2.8.0

Bug fixes for 2.8.0-specific bugs

- Upload of files to bridgetasks is possible again when no allowed  
filetypes have been specified.
- Information about student-scheduled slots is visible again to students.
- The table view of resource parameters is available again for  
resources with author-specified parameter descriptions which contain [].
- Formularesponse problems will permit the submission of non-vector  
answers including commas, if the required answer is a set, i.e., if  
the submission is of the form {a,b,c,d}.
- Display of user lists, filtered by status, is possible again for  
languages besides English.
- An external resource linking to a web page from a SSL web server  
again retains the https protocol in the stored link.

Bug fixes for other general bugs
- UPDATE used to install/update LON-CAPA now prompts for protocol in  
use (i.e., http or https) on the server.
- Script to stop/start/restart LON-CAPA daemons is now customized for  
different distros for better reporting of firewall status of the port  
used for internal LON-CAPA communication between servers
- E-mail address(es) for recipients of server status e-mail generated  
by nightly run of loncron.pl can be set via "Contacts" setting in DC's  
Domain Configuration menu.
- Files linked to in an uploaded html file (and which a CC uploaded in  
the check for embedded objects/links) are now set to be viewable when  
the html file itself is accessed.
- Verification of valid HTML no longer occurs when displaying style  
files in construction space.
- The script used to a generate certificate signing request for  
SSL-enabled internal LON-CAPA communication runs within  
/home/httpd/lonCerts.
- If a user needs to create a user account to self enroll in a course,  
the user's domain will be the domain of the course.
- Faster collation of course roles and sections employed when  
generating options used in a Course Coordinator's inline course role  
selector.
- TTH is always used to render a right arrow in the Reaction Editor  
pop-up (to circumvent jsMath issue).
- Files accepted by default by DropBox now include additional MSOffice  
extensions: docx, xlsx, pptx

Installation Notes:

To use this release you need to have version 1-12 of LONCAPA-prerequisites
installed (this is the same version as used with LON-CAPA 2.7). If  
updating directly from 2.7 you will need to update the version of  
perl-DateTime installed on your server to perl-DateTime-0.4304-1.

To install this update:

1) You will need to be running Fedora Core 6, 7, 8, or 9, RHEL (AS|ES)  
4 or 5, SUSE 10.1 10.2 or 10.3, SLES 9 or 10, CentOS 5, Scientific  
Linux 5 .(Fedora Core 5 should continue to work but is deprecated.)

2) Update rpms:

(a) Fedora
yum update

(b) RedHat Enterprise 4

up2date -u perl-DateTime

(c) Red Hat 5/Centos 5/Scientific Linux 5

yum update

(d) SuSE/SLES

Use yast-> Installation Source to refresh the LON-CAPA repository
Use yast->Software Management->Search to update perl-DateTime

On all distributions, it is recommended that you check that you have
the correct versions of LONCAPA-prerequisites and perl-DateTime
installed before proceeding.

rpm -q LONCAPA-prerequisites

should report:
LONCAPA-prerequisites-1-12.X

rpm -q perl-DateTime

should report:
perl-DateTime-0.4304-1.X

(where X is a distro identifier e.g., fc7.lc)

3) Download the new LON-CAPA tarball from
wget http://install.lon-capa.org/versions/loncapa-2.8.1.tar.gz

and untar it

tar xzvf loncapa-2.8.1.tar.gz

4) stop the LON-CAPA system services

/etc/rc.d/init.d/loncontrol stop

5) stop the webserver:

Fedora/RHEL/Centos/Scientific Linux
/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd stop

SLES 9:
/etc/init.d/apache stop

SUSE 10.1,2,3/SLES 10:
/etc/init.d/apache2 stop

6) Run the UPDATE script as root
cd loncapa-2.8.1
su
./UPDATE

7) restart the LON-CAPA system services
/etc/rc.d/init.d/loncontrol start

8) restart the webserver:

Fedora/RHEL/Centos/Scientific Linux
/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd start

SLES 9:
/etc/init.d/apache start

SUSE 10.1,2,3/SLES 10:
/etc/init.d/apache2 start

----NOTES
1) Many questions are answered at http://help.lon-capa.org
2) Defects reports, and enhancements requests can be entered at
      http://bugs.lon-capa.org
3) Mailing lists can be joined and left at http://mail.lon-capa.org

---

From: Sean Wolf <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 15:29:18 -0600

Hi Stuart,

Do we know when the bug where jsMath doesn't get rendered properly in
LON-CAPA <window>'s will be fixed?  Just wondering if you got that bug fix
request or not.

Thanks,
Sean

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 1:20 PM, Stuart Raeburn <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Let me know if you see anything missing, or in need of changing, in the
> draft version of the 2.8.1 release notes.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Stuart Raeburn
> MSU LON-CAPA group
>
> *****
>
> - The table view of resource parameters is available again for resources
> with author-specified parameter descriptions which contain [].
> - Formularesponse problems will permit the submission of non-vector answers
> including commas, if the required answer is a set, i.e., if the submission
> is of the form {a,b,c,d}.
> - An external resource linking to a web page from a SSL web server again
> retains the https protocol in the stored link.
>
>
> - UPDATE used to install/update LON-CAPA now prompts for protocol in use
> (i.e., http or https) on the server.
> different distros for better reporting of firewall status of the port used
> for internal LON-CAPA communication between servers
> - E-mail address(es) for recipients of server status e-mail generated by
> nightly run of loncron.pl can be set via "Contacts" setting in DC's Domain
> Configuration menu.
> - Files linked to in an uploaded html file (and which a CC uploaded in the
> check for embedded objects/links) are now set to be viewable when the html
> file itself is accessed.
> - Verification of valid HTML no longer occurs when displaying style files
> in construction space.
> - The script used to a generate certificate signing request for SSL-enabled
> internal LON-CAPA communication runs within /home/httpd/lonCerts.
> - If a user needs to create a user account to self enroll in a course, the
> user's domain will be the domain of the course.
> - Faster collation of course roles and sections employed when generating
> options used in a Course Coordinator's inline course role selector.
> - TTH is always used to render a right arrow in the Reaction Editor pop-up
> (to circumvent jsMath issue).
> installed (this is the same version as used with LON-CAPA 2.7). If updating
> directly from 2.7 you will need to update the version of perl-DateTime
> installed on your server to perl-DateTime-0.4304-1.
>
> To install this update:
>
> 1) You will need to be running Fedora Core 6, 7, 8, or 9, RHEL (AS|ES) 4 or
> 5, SUSE 10.1 10.2 or 10.3, SLES 9 or 10, CentOS 5, Scientific Linux 5
> .(Fedora Core 5 should continue to work but is deprecated.)
>
> 2) Update rpms:
>
> (a) Fedora
> yum update
>
> (b) RedHat Enterprise 4
>
> up2date -u perl-DateTime
>
> _______________________________________________
> LON-CAPA-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://mail.lon-capa.org/mailman/listinfo/lon-capa-dev
>

-- 
Sean Wolf
2400 Ford St.
Golden, CO 80401
(720) 897-7763