Subject: [LON-CAPA-dev] kerberos on rh7.3

From: Scott Harrison <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 14:52:39 -0400

Hi,

I notice (thanks to another developer and user) that Swedish Kerberos
version 4 is not installed automatically for RH7.3
doc/install/redhat7.3/install.pl.

I suggest that (in keeping with our new philosophy toward Samba
and Appleshares):

* we do not automatically install kerberos
* we provide clear instructions on the install.lon-capa.org site regarding
  how to:
           configure
           compile
           install (probably continue to provide the LON-CAPA-krb4 RPM)
  Kerberos version 4.

The Kerberos version 5 guys at some point were talking about creating
compatibility with the version 4 protocol (inside version 5).

Anybody know if this ever happened?

Regards,
Scott

-- 
Scott Harrison, [email-masked]

---

From: Guy Albertelli II <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 16:49:17 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Scott,

> Anybody know if this ever happened?

I have circumstantial evidence that it has happened but not any
confirmation.

(I.E I know someone who I think has installed lon-capa on 7.3,
installed the krb5 rpms and have created kerberos accounts.)

-- 
[email-masked]          BM: n^20 t20 z20 qS 
Guy Albertelli -7-8-4-  O-
    I have the power to channel my imagination into ever-soaring levels
    of suspicion and paranoia.

---

From: Martin Siegert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 15:07:51 -0700

Hi Scott,

it's been a few months after I compiled MIT kerberos from source.
One of the configuration options is whether you require compatibility
with version 4. I decided against it (because we do not have krb4 on campus),
but I am sure that it is in the source code.

Regards,
Martin

========================================================================
Martin Siegert
Academic Computing Services                        phone: (604) 291-4691
Simon Fraser University                            fax:   (604) 291-4242
Burnaby, British Columbia                          email: [email-masked]
Canada  V5A 1S6
========================================================================

On Fri, Aug 16, 2002 at 02:52:39PM -0400, Scott Harrison wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> LON-CAPA-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://mail.lon-capa.org/mailman/listinfo/lon-capa-dev

---

From: Scott Harrison <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 01:15:38 -0400

Hi Martin and Guy,

Meandering e-mail follows....

Thanks for the kerberos update.  I will test out the latest international
kerberos source (Heimdal, Cygnus, etc).  From what I see, they claim
compatibility with both kerberos 5 now in addition to kerberos 4...latest
version from Heimdal is September 2001.

(Historical note: despite Athena and MIT being plastered all over
 the LON-CAPA-krb4 code, the encryption really was from Sweden:

  usr/local/krb4/info/kth-krb.info:
  This is an attempt at documenting the Kerberos 4 distribution from
  Kungliga Tekniska Hoegskolan (the Royal Institute of Technology in
  Stockholm, Sweden). This distribution is based on eBones, but has been
  improved in many ways. It is more portable, and several new features
  have been added. It should run on any reasonably modern unix-like
  system.

  eBones ripped out all American-written encryption, etc... thus
  MIT and Athena stuff that remains is just a outer covering)

Ideally, password mechanisms can maybe have some level of testing inside
loncom/build/system_dependencies/.

I'm just quasi-pseudo-overjoyed that:
* RedHat and Mandrake are probably shipping MIT Kerberos overseas
* and that anyone can innocently visit any rpm repository, first DOWNLOAD the
  krb5-server RPM, and only THEN read:
     Export of software employing encryption from the United States of
     America may require a specific license from the United States
     Government.  It is the responsibility of any person or organization
     contemplating export to obtain such a license before exporting.

Regards,
Scott

> ------( NOTE )------------->
> This E-mail was scanned for viruses by Ramcell Online (http://www.ramcell.net/antivirus.asp)
>