Subject: [LON-CAPA-dev] Globals considered harmful (was A lesson in globals)

From: "Ron Fox" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 12:48:59 -0500

An even larger issue with globals is that they tie the implementation
to them.
Far better to provide acessing functions to any global data that hide
the form and structure of the data from the 'client'. For example:

my $client;

# yada yada yada

proc GetClient {
  return $client;
}

Now nobody knows how this piece of data is maintained except those
reponsible
for maintaining it.  This is >good<

Ron

---

From: "H. K. Ng" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 15:52:10 -0500

Hi,

Today, a student came to my office and showed me her submission. When she 
submits the answer the question disappears when the page is re-displayed - 
the other questions remain. On examining her submission, it appears that 
there are a lot of blank spaces then an entry, lots of more blank spaces 
and then another entry. She told me that her book was resting on the space 
bar. (On the answer box it is not clear that there are a lot of blank spaces.)

I was able to duplicate the effect and make a problem NOT show up as part 
of a page. This probably needs to be fixed.

Regards,
hk

---

From: Guy Albertelli II <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 16:02:18 -0500 (EST)

Hi Hon-Kie,

> of a page. This probably needs to be fixed.

Can you file a bug report at bugs.loncapa.org?

Thanks!

-- 
[email-masked]  LON-CAPA Developer  0-7-7-1-

---

From: "H. K. Ng" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 16:40:49 -0500

I like to have a customized look - color, size etc, for the fsu pages but 
would like to keep the lon-capa logo. Is there a file for the logo in eps 
or other formats other than gif or jpg that our local designer can work on?

hk