Subject: [LON-CAPA-dev] Chemresponse

From: Mark Lucas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 18:43:27 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

I've seen some interesting 'chemresponse' stuff go by on the CVS list.  
Would someone (Guy?) be willing to give a 10-line synopsis of what's in
the works for those of us not local?

Thanks,
Mark
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark Lucas					email: [email-masked]
252D Clippinger Lab  				phone: (740)597-2984
Department of Physics and Astronomy             fax:   (740)593-0433
Ohio University
Athens, OH 45701

---

From: Guy Albertelli II <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 00:47:14 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Mark,

> the works for those of us not local?

Sure, Guy Ashkenazi [email-masked] (a chemist) wrote some CAPA
problems for chemistry, one of which uses the JME
http://www.molinspiration.com/jme/index.html by Peter Ertl

It takes input in 2 different forms and outputs it in 3 possible
forms, apparently one of these is called 'smiles'.

Anyway this editor couple with some fun, should make it fairly easy to
ask questions that have a oraganic molecule as an answer that student
input through the JME editor.

An example:
<chemresponse jmeanswer="6 7 C 11.32 -7.71 C 10.62 -8.92 C 7.31 -7.01 C 8.01 -5.80 C 9.92 -7.71 C 8.71 -7.01 1 2 1 1 5 1 2 5 1 3 4 1 3 6 1 4 6 1 5 6 1" molecule="6 7 C 5.00 -8.31 C 4.30 -7.10 C 7.62 -5.18 C 8.32 -6.40 O+ 5.70 -7.10 O+ 6.92 -6.40 1 2 1 1 5 1 2 5 1 3 4 1 3 6 1 4 6 1 5 6 1" id="17" answer="C1CC1C2CC2">
       <textline />
</chemresponse>

The large sequences of numbers and data are generated by the JME tool,
so you just need to point and click to get this answer built. 
The part that is checked for correctness is the answer field.

I probably need to have a chemist take a look at this some day soon to
see if it satisfies what they want, but I mainly trying to
reimplement what Guy did in CAPA.

I also tossed in a method for showing organic structures in a problem
using this tool.

The second response type which is giving me trouble is one to allow
students to type in something like:

O2 + H4 -> 2 H2O

and get it correct no matter the order in which they specify the
reactants or products.

Hopefully this will make some user happy.

-- 
[email-masked]  LON-CAPA Developer  0-7-6-9-