Subject: [LON-CAPA-dev] When should students see FDBK?

From: Guy Albertelli II <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 11:05:48 -0500 (EST)

i All,

currently students can always see and post FDBK to homework problems.

This probably isn't a good idea.

Obviously they should be allowed to when the problem is
in 'CAN_ANSWER' or 'CANNOT_ANSWER' mode (i.e. between the open and due
dates)

Obviously they shouldn't be able to when the problem is in 'CLOSED' or
'INVALID_ACCESS' modes (i.e. between due and answer dates, before open
date, or when accessed from outside the range of allowed machines)

How about 'SHOW_ANSWER' mode. (I.E. after the answer date)

I was thinking they should be allowed to see it then but not allowed
to post.

What are your thoughts?

-- 
[email-masked]  LON-CAPA Developer  0-7-5-0-

---

From: Josh Tacey <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 11:39:52 -0500

I think that it should just be a parameter for the problem, if that is 
possible.

For example, on some problems that are simple little equation number 
crunching problems, just one feedback and the problem is easy for 
everyone else.  So I think that you should be allowed to have normal 
public feedback that we have now.  There should also be a parameter that 
allows only people of sufficient permission (Author, instructor, etc 
etc) can provide feedback.  Or allow for people to post feedback that 
only the instructor can see.  Almost like a moderated message thread, 
anyone can post but only the moderator can say what goes on there.

For the other modes, INVALID_ACCESS etc, then no, you should only be 
able to see feedback (if there is any).
I guess I went further than the original question.

Thanks

Josh Tacey
[email-masked]

---

From: Guy Albertelli II <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 12:08:02 -0500 (EST)

Hi Josh,

> There should also be a parameter that 
> etc) can provide feedback.  

Yeppers.

> I guess I went further than the original question.

I would highly disagree with this, if the problem is CLOSED or you are
'INVALID_ACCESS' i'd say you shouldn't be able to see anything.

Since after all it's CLOSED .