Subject: [LON-CAPA-dev] Re: [LON-CAPA-admin] checkrpms no longer working

From: Martin Siegert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 13:12:58 -0700

<switched to lon-capa-dev>

On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 03:48:22PM -0400, Guy Albertelli II wrote:
> Hi Martin,
> 
> > Ok. Let's solve this once and for all :-)
> 
> For Fedora, the CHECKRPMS script is much simpler already we just mail
> out the results of "yum check-update".

In that case we should change the CHECKRPMS script for RH7.3 and RH9
to be simply "check-rpms" (even a link would do).
And then we should somehow include the check-rpms rpm in the list of
required rpm packages.

> > (in order to make this decoupling complete we need to get rid of the
> > CHECKRPMS line in /etc/cron.d/loncapa and the /usr/local/loncapa/bin/CHECKRPMS
> > script in future loncapa releases).
> 
> I would prefer to not decouple loncapa and RPM checking.
> 
> I want the default loncapa install to setup some kind of reminder
> script that checks for RPM updates.
> 
> Now the existing CHECKRPMS for 7.3 has some issues, and we might want
> to ask during the UPDATE procedure if the user wants this automated
> checking but I would really prefer the default to have something.

I'd prefer fixing those issues. check-rpms works quite well with
fedoralegacy (or our SFU updates).

Cheers,
Martin

-- 
Martin Siegert
Head, HPC@SFU
WestGrid Site Manager
Academic Computing Services                        phone: (604) 291-4691
Simon Fraser University                            fax:   (604) 291-4242
Burnaby, British Columbia                          email: [email-masked]
Canada  V5A 1S6

---

From: Guy Albertelli II <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 16:22:12 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Matin,

> And then we should somehow include the check-rpms rpm in the list of

Does it provide reasonable default conf files? Or do we need to
include those in the loncapa tarball?

-- 
[email-masked]  LON-CAPA Developer  0-7-4-1-

---

From: Martin Siegert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 13:40:07 -0700

> include those in the loncapa tarball?

Good point. This actually would be easy. The only setting that I need
in the config file is

$FTP = 1;

check-rpms itself sets default values for the FTPSERVER and FTPUPDATES.
Those are reasonable for Fedora and SuSE, but currently not for RH.
I'll change that in an hour or so. Wait for check-rpms-3.0.1-2.noarch.rpm

Cheers,
Martin

---

From: Martin Siegert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 16:04:54 -0700

> I'll change that in an hour or so. Wait for check-rpms-3.0.1-2.noarch.rpm

Ok. check-rpms-3.0.1-2.noarch.rpm is available from
http://www.sfu.ca/acs/security/linux/check-rpms.html

The defaults are now:

For RH:
$DEFFTPSERVER = "mirror3.cs.wisc.edu";
$DEFFTPUPDATES = "pub/mirrors/linux/download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/$DISTROVERSION/updates";

For Fedora:
$DEFFTPSERVER = "fedora.redhat.com";
$DEFFTPUPDATES = "pub/fedora/linux/updates/$DISTROVERSION/en/os";

For SuSE:
$DEFFTPSERVER = "ftp.suse.com";
$DEFFTPUPDATES = "pub/suse/i386/update/$DISTROVERSION/rpm";

With those settings "check-rpms" should work out-of-the box.

Cheers,
Martin

---

From: Guy Albertelli II <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 10:57:26 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Martin,

> $DEFFTPUPDATES = "pub/mirrors/linux/download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/$DISTROVERSION/updates";

Grr,

so they stick all of the ix86 files in .../i386/...

So check-rpms is trying to be smart, sees it wants the i686 file and
tries to get it from ../i686/... and fails.

Could it maybe fail back to the i386 dir in case of failure?

Or perhaps you have a better idea.

-- 
[email-masked]  LON-CAPA Developer  0-7-3-9-

---

From: Martin Siegert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 10:35:39 -0700

> Or perhaps you have a better idea.

Arrgh. I thought I had fixed this. For RH (really fedoralegacy) it is supposed
to look at i386 only. I.e., it should get its i686 rpms out of the i386
directory. The same is true for Fedora actually.

But, I already see where the bug is ... sigh. This will probably result
in a 3.0.2 version.

Martin

---

From: Martin Siegert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 14:00:14 -0700

> Could it maybe fail back to the i386 dir in case of failure?

Fixed. check-rpms actually knows that Fedora and Fedoralegacy only use
i386. Thus, if a particular architecture of an rpm is not in the list
of architecture directories check-rpms will now use a default arch directory
(which is i386 for Fedora and Fedoralegacy; i586 for SuSE).

New version check-rpms-3.0.2-1.noarch.rpm available from
http://www.sfu.ca/acs/security/linux/check-rpms-3.0.2-1.noarch.rpm 

Cheers,
Martin

---

From: Guy Albertelli II <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 18:01:17 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Martin,

> http://www.sfu.ca/acs/security/linux/check-rpms-3.0.2-1.noarch.rpm 

Thanks, with an luck will ge this integrated into the Lon-CAPA install
process next week.