Subject: [LON-CAPA-dev] Draft of 2.6.2 Release Announcement

From: "Stuart Peter Raeburn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 09:47:37 -0500

Hi, 

Please let me know of any corrections or omissions. 

Thanks, 

Stuart 

New Version 2.6.2 Released 

This is primarily a bug fix release for versions 2.6.0 and 2.6.1
It is recommended to update 2.6.0 or 2.6.1 installations with 2.6.2
Specifically, it is highly recommended to update 2.6.0 or 2.6.1 
installations with 2.6.2 if LON-CAPA is used for scantron grading in your 
domain. 

Changes from 2.6.1 

Bug fixes:
 - Validation of scantron files again accommodates optionresponse and 
matchresponse problems (multiple bubble lines are used in a single problem 
in this case).
 - Bridge Tasks to be graded are again listed as items for handgrading in the 
What's New page.
 - Edit XML and Edit links for a file in a directory listing in Construction 
Space go directly to the correspoding edit screen, again, as expected.
 - Day of the week is now correct when language preference is not English.
 - LaTeX jobs stuck in a loop now timeout and cease to consume processor 
time.
 - When cloning a course, usernames set in course parameters (e.g., 
recipients of messages about course policy, content etc.) are no longer 
copied to the new course.
 - Link/Button to access Construction Space now added to Main Menu/Remote 
Control for Assistant Co-authors. 

Enhancements:
 - Practice problems are marked as "not graded" in a course's table of 
contents.
 - Solution of a practice problem results in a message that "submissions for 
practice problems are not preserved" instead of a receipt.
 - Resources can be printed with associated annotations made by the user.
 - The problem type (exam, survey or homework) can be sepcified when printing 
a problem in Construction Space.
 - Some localization updates.
 - Some German translations added or updated. 

To install this update: 

1) You will need to be running Fedora Core 6, 7, or 8, RHEL (AS|ES) 4 or 5,
  SUSE 9.3, 10.1, 10.2, or 10.3, SLES 9 or 10, CentOS 5, Scientific Linux 5
    (Fedora Core 5 should continue to work but is deprecated.) 

2) If necessary update to the current LONCAPA-prerequisites (1-10), and 
replace gnuplot_loncapa with gnuplot 4.2.  Note: if you already updated to 
2.6.0 or 2.6.1, you will have already done this so you can skip this step. 

(a) Fedora
For Fedora 5 and 6 you will need to import the LON-CAPA public key.  For
Fedora 7 and 8, it is assumed this occurred previously during the original
installation. 

rpm --import http://install.loncapa.org/versions/fedora/RPM-GPG-KEY-loncapa 

yum update --obsoletes 

(b) RedHat Enterprise 4 

up2date -u LONCAPA-prerequisites
up2date -i gnuplot 

(c) Red Hat 5/Centos 5/Scientific Linux 5 

yum update --obsoletes 

(d) SuSE/SLES 

Use yast-> Installation Source to refresh the LON-CAPA repository
Use yast->Software Management->Search to update LONCAPA-prerequisites (to
version  1-10), install gnuplot and delete gnuplot_loncapa. 

On all distributions, it is recommended that you check that you have the
correct versions of LONCAPA-prequisites and gnuplot installed before
proceeding. 

rpm -q LONCAPA-prerequisites
rpm -q gnuplot 

should report:
LONCAPA-prerequisites-1-10.X
gnuplot-4.2.0.X 

(where X is a distro identifier e.g., fc7.lc) 

3) Download the new LON-CAPA tarball from
wget http://install.lon-capa.org/versions/loncapa-2.6.2.tar.gz 

and untar it 

tar xzvf loncapa-2.6.2.tar.gz 

4) stop the LON-CAPA system services 

/etc/rc.d/init.d/loncontrol stop 

5) stop the webserver:
Fedora/RHEL:
/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd stop 

SUSE 9.X/SLES 9:
/etc/init.d/apache stop 

SUSE 10.X/SLES 10:
/etc/init.d/apache2 stop 

6) Run the UPDATE script as root
cd loncapa-2.6.2
su
./UPDATE 

7) restart the LON-CAPA system services
/etc/rc.d/init.d/loncontrol start 

8) restart the webserver: 

Fedora/RHEL:
/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd start 

SUSE 9.X/SLES 9:
/etc/init.d/apache start 

SUSE 10.X/SLES 10:
/etc/init.d/apache2 start 

 ----NOTES
1) Many questions are answered at http://help.lon-capa.org
2) Defects reports, and enhancements requests can be entered at
  http://bugs.lon-capa.org
3) Mailing lists can be joined and left at http://mail.lon-capa.org