Subject: [LON-CAPA-dev] BUG 22

From: Guy Albertelli II <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 01:52:43 -0500 (EST)

Hi All,

There have been requests made that hints not show by default after a
student gets the problem correct, as it can be confusing to students.

Currently, version 1.2 of Lon-CAPA plans on having hints NOT show
after a problem is correct.

I am trying to get a sense whether most users see this as a change for
the better, or worse.

Reference
http://bugs.loncapa.org/show_bug.cgi?id=22

-- 
[email-masked]  LON-CAPA Developer  0-7-4-9-

---

From: "H. K. Ng" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 07:42:22 -0500

>I am trying to get a sense whether most users see this as a change for

Showing the hint after getting the student got it right is not necessary a 
bad thing if the hint is well written. However, for most part, not show it 
is better.

A separate Q. CAPA allows the user to set the number of tries before a hint 
is shown. I have a number of users who wanted that feature. Old habits die 
hard! - hk

---

From: "H. K. Ng" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 07:53:39 -0500

The following message appears on the latest version. My guess is that it 
has something to do with gd.pm?? Which version should I use? Currently, I have

gd-1.8.4-4
gd-devel-1.8.4-4

Bareword "gdAntiAliased" not allowed while "strict subs" in use at 
/home/httpd/lib/perl/Apache/randomlylabel.pm line 139.!

Thanks, -hk

---

From: Guy Albertelli II <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 10:55:54 -0500 (EST)

Hi Hon-Kie,

> has something to do with gd.pm?? Which version should I use? 

Nope. This was a bug in version 1.16 of randomlylabel.pm

The current version is 1.18, plesae make sure that you do have the
latest version of this file installed.

-- 
[email-masked]  LON-CAPA Developer  0-7-4-7-

---

From: "H. K. Ng" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 11:08:24 -0500

Hi Guy,

>latest version of this file installed.

I have 1.18 and it gave me the same error message. I just comment the line out.

> > /home/httpd/lib/perl/Apache/randomlylabel.pm line 139.!

-hk

---

From: Guy Albertelli II <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 11:51:53 -0500 (EST)

Hi Hon-Kie,

> I have 1.18 and it gave me the same error message. I just comment the line out.

That's not a good idea.

Can you send me the file
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/i386-linux/GD.pm

From your system.

---

From: Guy Albertelli II <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 13:05:43 -0500 (EST)

Hi Hon-Kie,

> is shown. I have a number of users who wanted that feature. Old habits die 

Aye, this feature already exists but is hidden from sight, I have
unhidden it for 1.2, if you want to use it today,

1) to have it available system wide on your servers add

part&hinttries&display:Number of Tries before hints appear
part&hinttries&type:int_pos
part&hinttries&default:1

To the file /home/httpd/lonTabs/packages.tab

2) to just have avialable in a specfic problem, or to change the
   default value for a problem, add to the problem 

  <parameter description="Number of Tries before hints appear"
             type="int_pos"
             default="1"
             name="hinttries" />

Of course default should be set to whatever you'd like it to be.