Subject: [LON-CAPA-dev] Conditional branching and 1.99.2

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 21:05:54 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

I'm on 1.99.2 (until Thursday morning) and have been playing some with a 
conditional branch. I don't have things working yet, but I see an unusual 
behavior that may be worth mentioning (as 2.0 is imminent).

I have a series of folders in a test course. The last two are:
Experimental Sequences
and Exam Scores

Experimental sequences has an experimental math sequence in it with a 
conditional link.

Exam scores has another folder (exam1) with an exam upload resource.

When the Experimental sequence is first (and the condition does not seem 
to be met), the exam scores folder does not show up for my student role.

When the Exam Scores folder is before the experimental sequences, the exam 
score folder DOES show up for my student role.

Odds are there's an error in the condition, but (1) should this kill 
the rest of the NAVMAP and (2) has anyone used working conditions with 1.99.X?

Thanks!
Mark
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark Lucas					email: [email-masked]
252D Clippinger Lab  				phone: (740)597-2984
Department of Physics and Astronomy             fax:   (740)593-0433
Ohio University
Athens, OH 45701

---

From: Guy Albertelli II <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 10:59:51 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Mark,

> the rest of the NAVMAP and (2) has anyone used working conditions with 1.99.X?

Sounds to me like things are workign correctly and you haven't built
the map correctly.

For instance

A - Exp.
B - Exam
1 - condition

If you have

Start -> A -> B -> End

And A is
Start -> ThingA -1-> ThingB -> End

Then what you really have is

Start ->  ThingA -1-> ThingB -> B -> End

And thus you can't see B, because there is no valid path to B that
doesn't involve the condition being true.

What you really want in your map is:

Start ---> A -----> End
       \      /
        -> B -

(You don't really want a linear map anymore...)

Or you want A it be:

Start --->  ThingA -1-> ThingB -> ---> End
        \                         /
         -------------------------

-- 
[email-masked]   0-7-2-3-27,137

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 13:18:46 -0400 (EDT)

Guy,

Makes sense. So a block within a sequence which is within a sequence 
really blocks the whole shooting match for folders after the sequence.
I might also think about this as folders being substituted and folding 
into a 1-layer map, as you showed.

Thanks! I'll see what that does.

Mark

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005, Guy Albertelli II wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> LON-CAPA-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://mail.lon-capa.org/mailman/listinfo/lon-capa-dev
>