Subject: [LON-CAPA-dev] CVS error message (check in/commit)

From: Stefan Bisitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 13:46:56 +0200

Hi,

After checking in a new version of a file in CVS, I get the following
error message. This only happens occasionally, last time some minutes ago.

---- start ----
[...]
new revision: 1.75; previous revision: 1.74
done

not well-formed (invalid token) at line 42, column 19, byte 2270 at
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi/XML/Parser.pm
line 187
Mailing the commit email to [email-masked]
---- end ----

This seems to be a problem on the CVS server, not a local problem. Do I
have to care about this message?

Stefan Bisitz

---

From: Stefan Bisitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 15:00:26 +0200

> have to care about this message?

Hi again,

I can't find any answer to my question above and also no indication of
anything that went wrong. Now, it seems to be time again for this kind
of message. It occurred today each time I committed a file in CVS:

----------------
[...]
Mailing the commit email to [email-masked]

not well-formed (invalid token) at line 24, column 685, byte 2359
at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi/XML/Parser.pm line 187
----------------

Anything to change or to care about?

Thanks,
Stefan Bisitz

---

From: Stuart Raeburn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 14:11:13 -0400

Stefan,

This error message was being generated by cvs2rss.pl which is script  
which modifies the LON-CAPA RSS file whenever a commit occurs.  A  
character with an umlaut - ö - included in a Log message associated  
with a commit on July 10th caused subsequent parsing of the existing  
RSS file (loncapa.rss) by cvs2rss.pl to report this error when  
subsequent commits caused the script to run.

The new CVS server uses a newer version of XML::RSS which should be  
able to handle this situation in the future.  For now, commits to CVS  
on the new server no longer generate the error message and cvs2rss.pl  
is successfully adding to the new RSS file (cvs.rss).

Stuart Raeburn
MSU LON-CAPA group

> at   
> /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi/XML/Parser.pm line   
> > 187
> ----------------
>