Subject: [LON-CAPA-dev] New STABLE message

From: Guy Albertelli II <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 16:44:59 -0400 (EDT)

Hi All,

Scott is in the midst of getting the tarball updated, here is the
message I plan on sending let me know if there is anything I should
change.

(I will update step 4 after I am doubly sure of what needs to be done)

New STABLE Release!!

MANY bug fixes, MANY feature enhancements

1) You will NEED to install a new LON-CAPA-systemperl RPM
If you are running RedHat 6.2 get
http://install.loncapa.org/3.1/latestRPMS/LON-CAPA-systemperl-3.4-1.i386.rpm

If you are running RedHat 7.[0,1,2,3] get
http://install.loncapa.org/3.1/latestRPMS/LON-CAPA-systemperl-3.4-rh72.i386.rpm

Install it by doing:
rpm -Uvh --force LON-CAPA-systemperl-3.4-1.i386.rpm
or
rpm -Uvh --force LON-CAPA-systemperl-3.4-rh72.i386.rpm

2)  You will then need to get the new software, download
http://install.lon-capa.org/versions/current/loncapa.tar.gz

3) un tar the file, select a hosts.tab, su to root and run the UPDATE
   script
tar xzvf loncapa.tar.gz
cd loncapa
ln -s production_hosts.tab loncom/hosts.tab
su
./UPDATE

4) You will need to update some configuration files
!!! Need to finish this part after testing on s1-3,10!!!

5) restart the system services
/etc/rc.d/init.d/loncontrol stop
/etc/rc.d/init.d/loncontrol start
/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd stop
/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd start

6) if you don't have latex installed you will need to install it,
   those running RedHat 6.2 can install thes rpms:
http://install.loncapa.org/3.1/latestRPMS/tetex-1.0.6-11.1.i386.rpm
http://install.loncapa.org/3.1/latestRPMS/tetex-afm-1.0.6-11.1.i386.rpm
http://install.loncapa.org/3.1/latestRPMS/tetex-doc-1.0.6-11.1.i386.rpm
http://install.loncapa.org/3.1/latestRPMS/tetex-dvilj-1.0.6-11.1.i386.rpm
http://install.loncapa.org/3.1/latestRPMS/tetex-dvips-1.0.6-11.1.i386.rpm
http://install.loncapa.org/3.1/latestRPMS/tetex-fonts-1.0.6-11.1.i386.rpm
http://install.loncapa.org/3.1/latestRPMS/tetex-latex-1.0.6-11.1.i386.rpm
http://install.loncapa.org/3.1/latestRPMS/tetex-xdvi-1.0.6-11.1.i386.rpm

-----Notes:
1) those familiar with doing a CVS upgrade can continue to use that
   mechanism it continues to work well
2) if you have any problems contact [email-masked]

-----Summary of Updates:
1) much better machine to machine connections
2) much better support o various browsers types
3) javascript cleanups
4) printing of both html and problem resources supported
5) HTML supported in metadata
6) many bugfixes

-----Detailed updates:
loncapa/CAPA:
- typos in capa.config

loncapa/doc
- Many many updates, going with loncapafiles.lpml v1.119

loncapa/rat
lonpage - POD, map->foreach, javascript, and mailto links work,
           eval buttons, cleaner URL
lonpageflip - BUG270 (Homework stored with wrong symb)
lonratparms - map to foreach
lonratsrv - BUG242 (Saving new page for the first time broken)
lonsequence - no changes
lonwrapper - needs and is needed by new lonxml
client/code.html - cleanups, better image refs, new browse/search mech
                   (needs new lonindexer)
client/parameter.html - cleaned out warnings

loncapa/loncom
access.conf - moved <Location>s to loncapa.conf
httpd.conf - moved parameters to loncapa.conf
lcpasswd - map to foreach
lcuseradd - map to foreach
lonc - many fixes, should handle signals, and partial data transfers
well, cleaned
loncapa.conf - added handlers, and more config info from httpd.conf
                and access.conf
lond - improved handling of starnge situations, added user creation
handling(UNIX)
         POD
pwchange - map to foreach
startup.pl - memory savings

loncapa/loncom/auth
lonacc.pm - using new loncommon routines addd_to_env,
get_unprocessed_cgi,
             accept passed symbs
lonauth.pm - set browser.type
loncacc.pm - use add_to_env
londes.js - unchanged
lonlogin.pm - no_cache, pass smaller keys, rewrite of login page
roles.tab - dc can bre

loncapa/loncom/build
- added piml/xfml, work on moving to install from .tar.gz

loncapa/loncom/cgi
plot.cgi - passing values cleaner through URL

loncapa/loncom/homework
capa.units - correct oz
edit.pm - sort inserts, editline added, entites protected, search and
browse added
grades.pm - pretty up subm table
hint.pm - tex updates, code cleanup
inputtags.pm - BUG191,163,94,64, Submit button renamed
               191( option response/answer submissions:  If one
	       response is omitted graded incorrect.)
               163(simultaneous numerical responses not graded
	       collectively)
	       94(" are bad in student submissions)
	       64(after deadline submissions)
insertlist.tab - randomlabel tags scoped
lonhomework.pm - memory savings, accept requested targets, analyze target
                 BUG277,246,189
optionresponse.pm - support target analyze, support tex,
                    BUG191,189
radiobuttonresponse.pm - support printing
randomlabel.pm - check args, support printing, edit mode in namespace
                 BUG43
response.pm - parms for hints work, BUG4 (picks correct rndseed when
viewing other user)
structuretags.pm - randomlist can do subset, support analyze,
                   after deadline submission, support printing problem
                   BUG288,189,64
caparesponse.pm - output tol and sig in numerical response problems
when showing answer

loncapa/loncom/html
- remote updates, welcome screen updates,
    BUG227(CRST goes directly to viewed page if possible)
    BUG385 (crashing browser on blank buttons)

loncapa/loncom/interface
filetypes.tab - ps,eps,dvi -> ign, add spreadsheet.pm
groupsort.pm - javscript clean
lonchart.pm - expired versus current students, map -> foreach,
              sort by name or section, cache data, BUG105
loncommon.pm - large number of functions added, improved handling of
form
               parameters, CSV data handling added, home server lists,
	              authentication javascript added, keyword cleanup
loncommunicate.pm - map to foreach
loncreatecourse.pm - only can use sequences, select domain
loncreateuser.pm - cleanups, can select users homeserver (need v1.35)
londropadd.pm - cleanups, can assign attributes to columns or
                columns to attributes, can pick homeserver (need
		v1.33)
lonevaluate.pm - uses get_unprocessed_cgi now
lonfeedback.pm - map to foreach, screennames
lonindexer.pm - show only some files, genearlized browse, BUG174
lonmenu.pm - map to foreach, IE on Mac works now
lonmeta.pm - map to foreach
lonmsg.pm - map to foreach, critical message display doesn't screwup
first time
            checkall, uncheckall buttons
lonnavmaps.pm - cleaned up, passes symb, handles showing resources in
a .page,
                multipart problems partially correct are marked as
		such,
			multipart problems show their status, <blink>
			removed
lonparmset.pm - cleanup, show section/student specific resource,
                removed ::reply and ::critical calls links to
		lonindexer,
			environment setting improved, BUG224
lonpreferences.pm - can modify password now, assign screen name
lonprintout.pm - should be able to print most resources
lonsearchcat.pm - cleanups
lonspreadsheet.pm - user space spreadsheets, hashes work
lonstatistics.pm - cleaned some, discrimination factor added, new
presentation,
                   student status selectable.
mydesk.tab - added preferences
printout.pl - handles image conversions

loncapa/loncom/lonnet
lonnet.pm - use LCParser, HTML in metadata supported,
            reply kills dead connections, change password, hash and
	    array 2 str
	        helper routines, specify a users home, cache resource
		data,
		    BUG207179,153,68
loncapa/loncom/misc
un_keywords.tab

loncapa/loncom/publisher
lonpublisher.pm - switch to LCParser, protect Entities, un/checkall
buttons, adds
                  allows for randomlabel
                  BUG179,153,68
publisher.html - supports returns and clicks, BUG211

loncapa/loncom/xml
londefdef.pm - printing updates, can print tables, images,
<externallink>
lonplot.pm - many small updates, printable, (depends on plot.gif)
BUG190,
lontexconvert.pm - new registerurl call
lonxml.pm - memory savings, now use LCParser, html editing improved,
            cleaner javascript, IE should work better, use
	    get_unprocessed_cgi,
	        better warnings
            BUG 314,227,189,153,68
run.pm - no longer run amuck with $expr, improved error messages
scripttag.pm - better protecting of entities, use editline

----Removed Files
-loncapa/doc/L-CPlanning/L-C timeline.htm
-loncapa/doc/anaconda_packages.txt
-loncapa/doc/anaconda/index.html
-loncapa/doc/anaconda_interfaces/*
-loncapa/doc/build/confexamples/copyright.tab
-loncapa/doc/build/confexamples/language.tab
-loncapa/doc/loncapafiles/LON-CAPA-base-3.1-1.i386.rpm
-loncapa/doc/rat/resource.gif
-loncapa/doc/rat/rat_plan1.html
-loncapa/doc/rat/rat_plan2.html
-loncapa/doc/rat/resourceinfo.gif
-loncapa/doc/rat/resourcesonrat.gif
-loncapa/loncom/anaconda/RedHat/instimage/usr/bin/anaconda
-loncapa/loncom/anaconda/RedHat/instimage/usr/bin/loncapaconfig
-loncapa/loncom/anaconda/RedHat/instimage/usr/lib/anaconda/*
-loncapa/loncom/anaconda/RedHat/instimage/usr/share/anaconda/*
-loncapa/loncom/anaconda/Makefile
-loncapa/loncom/build/crufty_update.pl
-loncapa/loncom/build/kirs.pl
-loncapa/loncom/build/loncapaautoupgrade

-----Added Files (I plan to go with the latest version of these)
  (I am not sure I can guarentee a directory creation if there are no
  files in it)
+loncapa/doc/L-CPlanning/L-C_business_model.html
+loncapa/doc/L-CPlanning/L-C_timeline.htm
+loncapa/doc/how_to_install_loncapa_org.txt
+loncapa/doc/shortest_path_redhat7.2.txt
+loncapa/doc/api
+loncapa/doc/api/Apache
+loncapa/doc/build/contact.html
+loncapa/doc/build/download.html
+loncapa/doc/build/duties.txt
+loncapa/doc/build/faq.html
+loncapa/doc/build/installindex.html
+loncapa/doc/build/license.html
+loncapa/doc/distributions
+loncapa/doc/icons
+loncapa/doc/icons/gnu-head-sm.jpg
+loncapa/doc/icons/install_logo.gif
+loncapa/doc/interface
+loncapa/doc/interface/images
+loncapa/doc/lib
+loncapa/doc/lib/perl
+loncapa/doc/lib/perl/Apache
+loncapa/doc/loncapafiles/buildfiles.lpml
+loncapa/doc/loncapafiles/sanitycheck.piml
+loncapa/doc/man
+loncapa/doc/scripts
+loncapa/doc/tutorial
+loncapa/doc/tutorial/create_course.txt
+loncapa/loncom/build/weblayer_test
+loncapa/loncom/build/weblayer_test/Makefile
+loncapa/loncom/build/weblayer_test/make_test_user.pl
+loncapa/loncom/build/weblayer_test/test_login.pl
+loncapa/loncom/build/weblayer_test/test_weblayer.pl
+loncapa/loncom/build/check-rpms
+loncapa/loncom/build/distprobe
+loncapa/loncom/build/system_dependencies/pmvers
+loncapa/loncom/cgi/clusterstatus.pl
+loncapa/loncom/cgi/lonversions.pl
+loncapa/loncom/cgi/ping.pl
+loncapa/loncom/html/adm/lonIcons/aboutlon.gif
+loncapa/loncom/html/adm/lonIcons/accessbutton.gif
+loncapa/loncom/html/adm/lonIcons/fillbottom.gif
+loncapa/loncom/html/adm/lonIcons/fillleft.gif
+loncapa/loncom/html/adm/lonIcons/fillright.gif
+loncapa/loncom/html/adm/lonIcons/filltop.gif
+loncapa/loncom/html/adm/lonIcons/header.gif
+loncapa/loncom/html/adm/lonIcons/lite.gif
+loncapa/loncom/html/adm/lonIcons/litetext.gif
+loncapa/loncom/html/adm/lonIcons/loncapalogo.gif
+loncapa/loncom/html/adm/lonIcons/lowerleft.gif
+loncapa/loncom/html/adm/lonIcons/lowerright.gif
+loncapa/loncom/html/adm/lonIcons/upperleft.gif
+loncapa/loncom/html/adm/lonIcons/upperright.gif
+loncapa/loncom/html/adm/lonIcons/userauthentication.gif
+loncapa/loncom/html/adm/lonMisc/eval_button.gif
+loncapa/loncom/html/res/adm/pages/pref.gif
+loncapa/loncom/html/res/adm/pages/bookmarkmenu/images_extra
+loncapa/loncom/test/testfile
+loncapa/loncom/xml/LCParser.pm
+loncapa/loncom/xml/Safe.pm

Not Added to STABLE
+loncapa/loncom/homework/CAPA-converter/conversion_wrapper
+loncapa/loncom/homework/CAPA-converter/conversion_wrapper/Std_header
+loncapa/loncom/homework/CAPA-converter/conversion_wrapper/README
+loncapa/loncom/homework/CAPA-converter/conversion_wrapper/serprob.txt
+loncapa/loncom/homework/CAPA-converter/conversion_wrapper/cnvprb
+loncapa/loncom/homework/CAPA-converter/conversion_wrapper/footer
+loncapa/loncom/homework/CAPA-converter/conversion_wrapper/header
+loncapa/loncom/homework/CAPA-converter/conversion_wrapper/script
+loncapa/loncom/homework/CAPA-converter/conversion_wrapper/serprob.problem

---

From: "Matthew Brian Hall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 17:11:34 -0400 (EDT)

Guy,

The text on londropadd.pm, about requiring version 1.33, doesn't belong.  The
current STABLE has it as 1.40, which is appropriate.
Remove references to RedHat 7.3 until we can check it out.
   I burned CDs today and installed it on vbrick (now known as s18).
   I have not installed lon-capa yet.
A cut-and-pastable script would be a nice attachment to this email.

A few minor spleling mistakes in there...

More for the summary of updates (need rewording :) ):

When viewing a resource in a course, hitting <CSTR> will take you to edit it
(if you have permissions).
<CSTR> button should now only appear if you have access on the server.
Users can change their own password.
Setting course parameters should be easier, especially choosing course
sequences.

Would it be in-context to mention help.loncapa.org & bugs.loncapa.org ?

Matthew

> > Hi
All, > > Scott is in the midst of getting the tarball updated, here is the
> _______________________________________________
> LON-CAPA-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://mail.lon-capa.org/mailman/listinfo/lon-capa-dev
>

--
------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthew Hall           LON-CAPA developer         [email-masked]
123 North Kedzie Hall                    Michigan State University
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Gerd Kortemeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 11:49:13 -0400

Hi,

> Would it be in-context to mention help.loncapa.org & bugs.loncapa.org ?

Yes, very much so, I had the same reaction.

- Gerd.

---

From: Guy Albertelli II <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 11:51:33 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

> Yes, very much so, I had the same reaction.

I added them the the Notes section of the second version.

Did you want the mention somewhere else in the email?

I plan on sending it out around 1:30 today.

-- 
[email-masked]        BM: n^20 t20 z20 qS 
Guy Albertelli -7-8-7-  O-
    Today I will treat myself as I would my best friend--with sarcasm
    and neglect.

---

From: Scott Harrison <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 14:19:18 -0400

Dear All:

I think it is out-of-context (why must I be totally right
all the time and everyone else be wrong?) :).

I think a message about a "new release" should be kept separate
from a message about vanilla interactivity.

On the one hand, you want to inform people about the nuts and guts
(and their improvements).

On the other hand, you want to clearly tell them about
*** WHAT TO LOOK AT ***.  People need as much help as possible in
this regard.

Sort of like, "I want my coursepack of details" and "I want the
professor telling me what I should pay attention to".

(Speaking of, is it vanilla as in vanilla icing or manilla
as in manila folder?  I looked online and our "vanilla/manila"
terminology isn't as common as one might expect.)

Shoot.  I am making perfect sense.  Right?

Regards,
Scott