Subject: [LON-CAPA-dev] HTML to XHTML

From: Gerd Kortemeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 17:43:36 -0400

I saw this (see below) float by on the modperl mailing list. One of these days
I need to try out how good this might be for autoconversion "cleanup" of HTML
to XML:

My suggestion would to just use a XML parser module like XML::LibXML.
Load the file up using the HTML loading functions and print it using the
XML printing functions ... since the only difference I can see between
HTML and XHMTL is that optional ending tags are no longer optional (per
XML spec) and single tags must be ended properly (per XML spec).

---

From: Guy Albertelli II <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 18:17:23 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Gerd,

> XML spec) and single tags must be ended properly (per XML spec).

That might work, but I was thinking Tidy would be a much better idea,
it's goal is to tidy up bad html, supported by w3c, it is free and it
supports all of the standards.

-- 
[email-masked]          BM: n^20 t20 z20 qS 
Guy Albertelli -7-8-4-  O-
    I would love to but . . . I have some real hard words to look
    up in the dictionary.