Subject: [LON-CAPA-dev] tth.so missing on compile

From: Alex Peer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2011 19:28:05 -0400

Trying to compile LON-CAPA for a test install, failing on this:

**** WARNING **** missing the file: 
../../modules/TexConvert/tthperl/commands
**** ERROR **** neither source=../../modules/TexConvert/tthperl/tth.so 
nor target=/home/httpd/lib/perl/tth.so exist and they cannot be built

There's what looks to be a version of tth.so in CVS (but not part of the 
main module), and one in http://install.lon-capa.org/resources/; where 
should I be getting this file?

On a Fedora release 14 VM running under Xen.

---

From: Stuart Raeburn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2011 15:43:35 -0400

Hi,

What you need to do is install LON-CAPA 2.10.0.RC2 on your VM, using  
the standard installation procedure.

See: http://install.loncapa.org/

There is a new link to instructions for Fedora 14 in the section:

"Installation on the following systems requires the use of a testing  
release of LON-CAPA.".

When you run ./install.pl as part of the pre-install you should call it using:

./install.pl --nodownload_loncapa

so the current production release (2.9.1) is not downloaded.

After ./install.pl has completed its operation you will download  
2.10.0.RC2 via:
wget http://install.lon-capa.org/versions/loncapa-2.10.0.RC2.tar.gz

Decompress that tarball and run ./UPDATE from within the  
loncapa-2.10.0.RC2 directory.

As part of the ./UPDATE process a tth.so (appropriate for your perl  
version and architecture) will be written to:

/home/httpd/lib/perl/tth.so

Once that is installed, when you next run make build, this error message:

**** ERROR **** neither source=../../modules/TexConvert/tthperl/tth.so ...

will no longer be displayed.

You will still see a warning:

> **** WARNING **** missing the file: ../../modules/TexConvert/tthperl/commands

but that will not be a problem, and make build will run to completion.  
  (Note: this WARNING can be eliminated if you also checkout the  
modules directory from the LON-CAPA CVS repository, but that is not  
necessary, if you already have a compiled tth.so in  
/home/httpd/lib/perl/tth.so).

After "make build" is complete you will run "make install" (as root)  
to complete the update of the existing LON-CAPA installation on your  
VM to CVS HEAD.

Stuart Raeburn
MSU LON-CAPA group

> **** WARNING **** missing the file: ../../modules/TexConvert/tthperl/commands
> **** ERROR **** neither  
> source=../../modules/TexConvert/tthperl/tth.so nor  
> target=/home/httpd/lib/perl/tth.so exist and they cannot be built
>
> There's what looks to be a version of tth.so in CVS (but not part of  
> the main module), and one in http://install.lon-capa.org/resources/;  
> where should I be getting this file?
>