Subject: [LON-CAPA-dev] data is going down!

From: "Matthew Brian Hall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 09:29:28 -0500 (EST)

Data is going down for its OS upgrade.

Matthew

--
------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthew Hall           LON-CAPA developer         [email-masked]
123 North Kedzie Hall                    Michigan State University
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 13:37:17 -0500 (EST)

Will it be back up by 2pm EST? I need to give the Fargo demo.

Quoting Matthew Brian Hall <[email-masked]>:

> _______________________________________________
> LON-CAPA-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://mail.lon-capa.org/mailman/listinfo/lon-capa-dev
>

---

From: Guy Albertelli II <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 13:46:16 -0500 (EST)

Hi All,

> Will it be back up by 2pm EST? I need to give the Fargo demo.

I believe it is up now. (I _just_ got it restarted)

Let me know if you see any problems.

-- 
[email-masked]          BM: n^20 t20 z20 qS 
Guy Albertelli -7-7-7-  O-
    No man is an isthmus.

---

From: "Matthew Brian Hall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 14:15:07 -0500 (EST)

I had to fix the kerberos authentication - MSU.EDU was not in /etc/krb.conf.

I can log in successfully.

Matthew

---

From: Gerd Kortemeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 09:24:27 -0500

Was this fixed also in CVS?

---

From: "Matthew Brian Hall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 09:26:40 -0500 (EST)

No, it's not a CVS problem.  It's a problem with the upgrade.  We do need
to check this on installation, though.  I'll file a bug report.

---

From: Scott Harrison <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 10:48:20 -0500

A reminder.

The working strategy, agreed upon and discussed many months ago
on this mailing list, has been to NOT support appletalk, samba, or
kerberos configuration anymore.  It is up to knowledgeable and
meticulous system administrators to oversee the proper configuration
of their system.

This strategy was resolved on after about 5 different schemes of
configuration file saving/overwriting/backing-up, and "intelligent-editing";
and finally realizing that there was no way to make all system
administrators happy (aside from what our scripts do to loncapa-specific
configuration files such as loncapa.conf and hosts.tab).

Thus, krb.conf is no longer installed at /etc/krb.conf.
If you look inside loncapa/doc/loncapafiles/loncapafiles.lpml
(the authoritative definition of installation and upgrade details),
you will see that krb.conf is installed at
/usr/local/loncapa/doc/conf_examples/krb.conf.

Better strategies are always welcome, but this is the way things are at
present.

Regards,
Scott

-- 
Scott Harrison, [email-masked]