Subject: [LON-CAPA-dev] Re: Installing development version of LC

From: Stuart Raeburn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 16:17:10 -0500

Mark,

> I've got my development machine turned back on and am looking to install
> the latest development version of LC.
>
> (1) Is it in reasonably functional form?

Yes, CVS bleeding edge was used for a couple of courses at MSU in a  
Limited Field Trial in a standalone cluster last semester. The same  
will occur this semester.

There is also a separate multi-domain standalone cluster (the one used  
at the 2009 conference).  The "msu" domain in that cluster is in  
available to MSU Faculty and Staff to automatically request accounts  
and create courses and communities while they evaluate 3.0.  The  
"testdrive" domain in the same cluster is available to everyone else.

As regards installation on your own server, at present you will need  
to use CVS checkout to get the latest development version to install.

cd path_to_loncapa_repo/loncom/build
cvs update -A -d

and then:

cd loncom/build
make clean
make build
make install

You can also use make tardist instead of make install to create a  
tarball if you wish to install from that.

The tarball (loncapa-unstable.tar.gz) which was historically built  
nightly from CVS HEAD nightly and made available via  
install.loncapa.org is outdated.  Rebuilding of that unstable tarball  
will likely resume once 2.9 has been released.

>
> (2) Are there any packages that I need to have installed beyond the   
> packages for the current release version?
>

The version of LONCAPA-prerequisites which will be required for the  
long delayed 2.9 (which doesn't include the new interface changes),  
and ultimately 3.0 (which does) is 1-17.  Currently this is available  
(as are any new dependencies unavailable in core repositories for the  
distro) in the msu/testing repos on install.loncapa.org for some  
distros. CentOS 5 is amongst them.  Support for other distros is being  
added incrementally.

>
> (3) Any other caveats?
>
> I'm looking to install it to get a feel for the interface changes.

Localization files are not up to date, but I doubt that is an issue  
for you.  Also documentation is not presently up to date.

Stuart Raeburn
MSU LON-CAPA group

> Mark
> --

---

From: Mark Lucas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 18:28:41 -0500

Stuart,

It's been ages since I've checked out anything from CVS.  Long ago a  
username of
lucas was set up with a password of guts. This was probably changed at  
some point
or eradicated.

At some point could you double check to see if lucas exsists and reset  
to a new pwd?

Thanks,
Mark

On Jan 14, 2010, at 4:17 PM, Stuart Raeburn wrote:

> There is also a separate multi-domain standalone cluster (the one  
> used at the 2009 conference).  The "msu" domain in that cluster is  
> in available to MSU Faculty and Staff to automatically request  
> accounts and create courses and communities while they evaluate  
> 3.0.  The "testdrive" domain in the same cluster is available to  
> everyone else.
>
> install.loncapa.org is outdated.  Rebuilding of that unstable  
> tarball will likely resume once 2.9 has been released.
>
>>
>> (2) Are there any packages that I need to have installed beyond  
>> the  packages for the current release version?
>>
>
> and ultimately 3.0 (which does) is 1-17.  Currently this is  
> available (as are any new dependencies unavailable in core  
> repositories for the distro) in the msu/testing repos on  
> install.loncapa.org for some distros. CentOS 5 is amongst them.   
> Support for other distros is being added incrementally.
>
>>
>> (3) Any other caveats?
>>
> _______________________________________________
> LON-CAPA-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://mail.lon-capa.org/mailman/listinfo/lon-capa-dev

-- 
Mark Lucas 								email: [email-masked]
252D Clippinger Lab						phone: (740)597-2984
Department of Physics and Astronomy		fax: (740)593-0433
Ohio University
Athens, OH 45701

---

From: Stuart Raeburn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 18:00:31 -0500

Mark,

> Long ago a username of lucas was set up ...

This would have been a read-only account (using CVS pserver  
authentication) on the old CVS server: zaphod.lite.msu.edu

Authentication on the LON-CAPA CVS server via pserver was replaced  
with ssh authentication in May 2008.  In addition, the CVS server was  
migrated to newer hardware and additional security-related changes  
were made in October 2008. There was also a change in hostname (to  
source.loncapa.org).

Accounts with existing write access to the old CVS repository were  
migrated to the new configuration, but pserver read-only accounts were  
discontinued because of the availability of read-only (web) access to  
LON-CAPA CVS via:

http://source.loncapa.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/

I have created an account for you on the new CVS server (at present  
with read-only access).  As described in the developer information  
page: source.loncapa.org (and the old FAQ-o-matic page:  
http://help.loncapa.org/fom/cache/92.html) you will need to generate  
ssh keys, install your private key on any machines from which you wish  
to check out a local copy of the repository, and send the public key  
to [email-masked].

> $ ssh-keygen -t dsa
>
> to generate public and private keys in ~/.ssh/
>
> Send the public key (id_dsa.pub) to [email-masked] so it can  
> be added to the appropriate authorized_keys file on  
> source.lon-capa.org

Stuart Raeburn
MSU LON-CAPA group

Quoting Mark Lucas <[email-masked]>:

>>   Limited Field Trial in a standalone cluster last semester. The   
>> same  will occur this semester.
>>
>> As regards installation on your own server, at present you will   
>> need  to use CVS checkout to get the latest development version to   
>> install.
>>
>>   long delayed 2.9 (which doesn't include the new interface   
>> changes),  and ultimately 3.0 (which does) is 1-17.  Currently this  
>>  is  available (as are any new dependencies unavailable in core