Subject: [LON-CAPA-dev] Re: [LON-CAPA-users] Re: jsMath

From: Guy Albertelli II <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 16:27:13 -0500 (EST)

Hi Lars,

-dev is a better place for this.

> - put the jsMath.js javascript in /home/httpd/html on the lon-capa server
> - surround displaymath in div-tags: <DIV CLASS="math"> ..... </DIV> -tags
> - surround in-line math with span-tags <SPAN CLASS="math"> ...  </SPAN>

negatives to this method.

1) you'd need to change all existing homework/html/posts/emails etc if
you wanted to to show up
2) not portable across the cluster
3) doesn't work for non-javascript capable browsers
4) printing will have a issues I am sure

I'd really prefer to instead

1) enhance the <m> tag like we discussed this summer so that the math
renderign could be switched in and out on the fly for specific
users/browser combinations
2) work with the JAWS screen reader so that we can get this to work
for blind people too

So I'd really not throw away all of the work that has been with the
<m> tag and instead enhance the <m> tag to allow one to choose the
renderer

-- 
[email-masked]  LON-CAPA Developer  0-7-3-2-

---

From: Gerd Kortemeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 07:11:24 -0500

Hi,

> 4) printing will have a issues I am sure

5) on my Mac, it tells me to download and install additional fonts.

> 2) work with the JAWS screen reader so that we can get this to work

I couldn't agree more.

- Gerd.