Subject: [LON-CAPA-dev] problems starting after update to 1.0.99.1

From: Gabriel Friedman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 11:16:16 -0500 (EST)

Greetings.  After running the update script from v1.0.2 to update 
to 1.0.99.1, i can no longer successfully start lon-capa

The startup process hangs at this point: 
----------------------------
[root@lon-capa loncapa-1.0.99.1]# /etc/init.d/loncontrol stop 
Stopping LON-CAPA
lonsql     stopped
lond       stopped
lonc       stopped
lonhttpd   not running
[root@lon-capa loncapa-1.0.99.1]# /etc/init.d/loncontrol start
Starting LON-CAPA
Starting LON-CAPA client and daemon processes (please be patient)
lonsql     started
lond       started
lonc       new started
lonhttpd   started
checking logs
testing connections
. BCHSLib down
...
---------------------------

lonc_error reports:

Event: trapped error in ?: send: Cannot determine peer address at 
/home/httpd/lib/perl//LONCAPA/LondConnection.pm line 565
Attempt to free unreferenced scalar at 
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/i386-linux/Event.pm line 148.
Attempt to free unreferenced scalar at 
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/i386-linux/Event.pm line 148.

If i break out of the startup process (^C), and attempt to start 
again, it seems to get one step further:
---------------
[root@lon-capa loncapa-1.0.99.1]# /etc/init.d/loncontrol start
Starting LON-CAPA
Starting LON-CAPA client and daemon processes (please be patient)
lonsql     running
lond       running
lonc       running
lonhttpd   started
checking logs
testing connections
. BCHSLib down
... capa1 down
..
--------------

lonc_error will report the same three lines as it did before.

Perhaps lonc is not handling the 'unable to connect' case 
correctly?

Some background on my setup:

A couple days ago , lonc was just beginning to show connections to 
s17.lite.msu.edu (the four domains hosted there?)   all other 
connections were still reporting conn_lost status in the reports.  
I woudl guess that this is due to the cmich domain not being in 
other servers domain tabs?   I am a bit shakey on this point.

I thought that you might perhaps wish to know about this error 
case?

-- Gabe Friedmann

---

From: Gerd Kortemeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 11:50:27 -0500

We saw a similar problem yesterday. Actually, you just have to wait 
really really long. Working on it.

On Dec 12, 2003, at 11:16 AM, Gabriel Friedman wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> LON-CAPA-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://mail.lon-capa.org/mailman/listinfo/lon-capa-dev

---

From: Guy Albertelli II <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 12:37:08 -0500 (EST)

Hi Gabe,

> to 1.0.99.1, i can no longer successfully start lon-capa

If you have CVS access you can pull down the new versions of loncnew
and LondConnection.pm

If not do

/etc/init.d/loncontrol stop
/etc/init.d/loncontrol startold

for now.

I will likely put out a 1.0.99.2 sometime today.

> other servers domain tabs?   I am a bit shakey on this point.

That is correct.

> I thought that you might perhaps wish to know about this error 

Always happy to hear about this that aren't working.

-- 
[email-masked]  LON-CAPA Developer  0-7-5-2-