Subject: [LON-CAPA-dev] scantron format

From: "H. K. Ng" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 12:37:00 -0400

Hi Stuart,

I plan to use the anon exam in the fall and could not find any info on the 
format of the scantron file. Is it something like

student id,exam code (the 6 alphabets),A,B,A ....
next student

Thanks,
-hk

At 04:23 PM 6/16/2004, you wrote:
>raeburn           Wed Jun 16 16:23:46 2004 EDT
>
>   Added files:
>     /modules/raeburn    reformat.pl
>   Log:
>   Converts a raw data file produced by the MSU scoring office from
>   scantron sheets with only five bubbles/row, to the scoring office's data
>   format for scantron sheets with ten bubbles/row (as expected by LON-CAPA
>   scantron grading). NOTE: 6-character codes are absent in the 5-bubble/row
>   sheets.

---

From: "Stuart Peter Raeburn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 12:17:45 -0400

Hi Hon-Kie, 

The expected format of the scantron data in specified in 
/home/httpd/lonTabs/scantronformat.tab 

That file states that the format of the data file for a scantron sheet with 
the six character code - CODE - (used in anonymous exams) in a separate area 
on the scantron form is: 

one student per line,
paperId starts at character 5, and is 5 characters long
last name starts at character 41 and is 10 characters long
firstname starts at character 51 and is 1 character long
student ID starts at character 57, 9 characters long
CODE starts on character 69, 6 characters long 

Questions start at character 77, each question is 10 characters long,
a space means no bubble in that location, a '1' means there was a bubble
in that location (so: answers A and B and D for questions 1, 2 and 3 would 
be:
1          1           1                <-- Data
(77)       (88)        (100)            <-- Character positions for the 1s

An example data file follows (each entry starting 515.. would be on a single 
line). 

515000001001031710002Y   742 #000 1     BERRYMAN  F     A23592320   BBBBBB  
1          1        1          1        1            1            1   1      
1         1         1        1          1         1        1         1       
1         1         1         1           1              1       1    1
515000002001031710002Y   742 #000 1     ALBERTELLIG     A12345678   AAAAAA   
1        1          1        1         1              1             11       
1          1         1        1         1         1         1         1      
1        1          1         1             1     1           1       1
515000004001031710002Y   742 #000 1     HALL      M     A87654321   DDDDDD   
1        1         1        1         1                1           1    1    
1         1         1          1         1         1        1         1      
1         1         1        1         1               1       1           1
515000005001031710002Y   742 #000 1     KASHY     E     A73336318   EEEEEE  
1          1         1        1          1               1                   
1          1        1         1          1         1           1         1   
1         1         1         1      1         1                      1
515000006001031710002Y   742 #000 1     SAKHARUK  A     A74325468   FFFFFF   
1         1         1         1         1               1   1                
1        1          1        1         1          1          1         1     
1         1         1        1          1         1         1       1 

You could add additional entries to /home/httpd/lonTabs/scantronformat.tab 
to reflect the format of data produced by the scoring office at your 
institution.  The format of each entry in the file is: 

#name:description:codelocation:CODEstart:CODElength:IDstart:IDlength:Qstart: 
Qlength:Qoff:Qon:PaperID:PaperIDlength:FirstName:FirstNamelength:LastName:La 
stNamelength 

The reformat.pl script I committed to /modules/raeburn in CVS was built to 
convert a different output format produced by the MSU scoring office to the 
msunocode format specified above.  As the 
/home/httpd/lonTabs/scantronformat.tab file contains a comment: "#FIXME 
still need support for question style" it looks as though Guy is planning to 
add support for the kind of format which reformat.pl translates (i.e., where 
Qlength is 1, and the value can be ' ', 1,2,3,4 or 5 coresponding to no 
bubble, or a bubble at A, B, C, D, E respectively. 

In that case an example file looks like (with each entry starting 520.. 
being on a single line). 

520000001001061410001Y   532 #000 1     BERRYMAN  F     A12345678           
1242334434134
520000002001061410001Y   532 #000 1     SAKHARUK  A     A23456789           
3232112112124 

Although this format is not supported in LON-CAPA you could use reformat.pl 
to convert it to the msunocode or msucode format. 

If you can supply an exaple of the data format produced by the FSU scoring 
office, then I can offer additional advice. 

Stuart Raeburn
MSU LON-CAPA support/development 

H. K. Ng writes: 

> _______________________________________________
> LON-CAPA-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://mail.lon-capa.org/mailman/listinfo/lon-capa-dev 
>

---

From: Guy Albertelli II <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 15:50:15 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

> bubble, or a bubble at A, B, C, D, E respectively. 

Actuatlly I was going to support both numbers and letters exisiting in
the file so both

> 520000001001061410001Y   532 #000 1     BERRYMAN  F     A12345678          1242334434134
> 520000002001061410001Y   532 #000 1     SAKHARUK  A     A23456789          ABCDCDCBDCEF 

would work.

I still have hopes of fuinishing that off for 1.2

Also the scantronformat.tab file is expected to be modified locally
and by default doesn't get overwritten in the install, so feel free to
add you own definitions to the file.

-- 
[email-masked]  LON-CAPA Developer  0-7-4-3-