Subject: [LON-CAPA-dev] Re: [LON-CAPA-admin] Scripting exports of exam grade results

From: Guy Albertelli II <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 19:35:01 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Mike,

> >  > I've signed up for lon-capa-dev now -- so once I'm added to the list
> >  > I'll put further conversation about this there...
> >You should have been added immeadiately to the list. Were you not?
> 
> It doesn't appear so -

Sorry didn't mean for the approval bit to be set on that list.

You should be in now.

> >The text file:
> >loncapa/doc/homework/datastorage
> >Tries to explain what the various resource.* bits mean.
> >A proper lon-capa value is to
> >1) get the awarded value
> >2) get the weight of the resource
> >    &Apache::lonnet::EXT() is generally the function used to get
> >    parameter data for a particular resource.
> 
> Ah -- the weighting detail I might of missed -- thank you.

Also on this (for the upcoming next release)
&Apache::grades::compute_points($weight,$awarded) is the routine that
does the multiplication. (IT takes care of rounding things off
properly)

> 
> >A defintion that you'll need
> >Symb -> is the symbolic name of the instance of aresource in a
> >particular map in a course.
> >At some level a symb means -> a specific resource
> 
> I've been reading through the document at 
> http://www.lon-capa.org/presentations/handout.pdf to get a better 
> understanding of things -- it's dated June 2002, but so far what I've 
> seen of the bits I'm digging into, the basic details seem largely 
> current -- is there anything there I should be aware of that is 
> significantly different with the current shipping version?

The basics are basically unchaged. And that Document should be
generally good. 

But things I can think of off the top of my head are:

- The section on how sequence conditions are handled is wrong in a few
  important respects by the idea of conditions and how they work is
  still correct also
- lots of new functionality layered ontop of the basics there
- the 'userfiles' directories inside course/s and users to give a
  space that is somewhere between publication space and constructions
  space (this is where portfolio files, and DOCS sequences go)
- some standardization in terms of handling some internal structures
  that likely needs to be boiled down into a 'intro to programming in
  lon-capa' booklet someday.
- we actually have an official style that we expect programmers to
  conform to.

-- 
[email-masked]   0-7-1-8-27,137