Subject: [LON-CAPA-dev] 1.2.1

From: Guy Albertelli II <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 09:29:39 -0400 (EDT)

Hi All,

So I want to put a 1.2.1 out _soon_ the speed up changes are just so
nice.

Is there anythings anyone is working on that I need to hold up the
release for?

-- 
[email-masked]  LON-CAPA Developer  0-7-3-2-

---

From: "Matthew Brian Hall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 09:57:09 -0400

> Is there anythings anyone is working on that I need to hold up the

Not for me.  Everything I've been working on is definately 1.2.1 ish. 

Matthew 

 ---------------------------------------
Matthew Hall           [email-masked]
LON-CAPA developer
Michigan State University
 ---------------------------------------

---

From: "Stuart Peter Raeburn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 12:50:15 -0400

Hi Guy, 

The one item I am working on that is currently incomplete that might be 
considered for 1.2.1 is some modification to lonsupportreq.pm to address 
bugs #3421 and #3489. However, I wouldn't delay release of 1.2.1 on account 
of this. 

Stuart 

Guy Albertelli II writes: 

> _______________________________________________
> LON-CAPA-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://mail.lon-capa.org/mailman/listinfo/lon-capa-dev 
>

---

From: Guy Albertelli II <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 13:26:02 -0400 (EDT)

[ Charset UTF-8 unsupported, converting... ]
> bugs #3421 and #3489. However, I wouldn't delay release of 1.2.1 on account 

Okay, I'll try to get it out today then.

We can put those in 1.2.2

---

From: Ricardo Luis Kulzer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 19:24:10 -0300

Hello, list.

I am having problems with the exhibition of images in html files
created with the MS-Word 2002 editor.

I created a simple test file, with one only image, and saved as HTML.
If you want to see the document, I put in

http://www.mc21.fee.unicamp.br/~ricardol/test-loncapa.zip

If I expand the .ZIP file in my HD and open the index.html file
directly with MS - Internet Explorer 6, the image appears perfectly.

However, if I login in my LON-CAPA as author, upload the .ZIP file in
my Construction Space, expand it, and publish all the contained files,
the image doesn't appear when I see the file index.html published

I think the problem is with the headers shown by the LON-CAPA. When I
Access the index.html directly from my HD, I have the following headers:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML
4.0 Transitional//EN">

<HTML xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40" xmlns:v =

"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" xmlns:o =

"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" xmlns:w =

"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word"><HEAD><TITLE>1</TITLE>

<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html;
charset=windows-1252">

<META content=Word.Document name=ProgId>

<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1458" name=GENERATOR>

...

However, when I access the index.html published in the LON-CAPA, the
headers of the shown document is the following:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML
4.0 Transitional//EN">

<html><HEAD><TITLE>1</TITLE>

<META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
charset=windows-1252">

<META content="Word.Document" name="ProgId">

<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1458" name="GENERATOR">

...

I am having the same problem when I saved a file .html containing
images using the MS-FrontPage 2002.

Does anyone have any idea of how to solve the problem (except the
simple "try another editor")?

Thanks,

Ricardo l. Kulzer.

---

From: Gerd Kortemeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 19:02:45 -0400

Hi Ricardo,

> simple "try another editor")?

Just some ideas:

* That LON-CAPA removed all the Microsoft-stuff from the <HTML>-tag 
should not make a difference in the rendering of images, the outgoing 
header looks functional to me
* Are the image files published? The source file and all its 
dependencies need to be published! This is the most typical problem.
* Uppercase/lowercase: Windows filesystem is not case-sensitive, URLs 
are - could that be the problem?
* Do you see any warnings during the publication of your file?
* The Macromedia Dreamweaver editor has a very handy function called 
"Clean Up Word HTML," which removes all the Microsoft-junk from your 
HTML files
* LON-CAPA really would like to have XHTML, so empty-tags (like img or 
meta) should be <empty/> or <empty /> - but it usually works fine with 
normal HTML
* After publishing the files, do you see <allow src="..." /> for your 
image files in the source code? If not, LON-CAPA did not pick up on the 
<img />-tags (how is the source specified in there?).
* Yes, Microsoft products produce very bad HTML ... I recommend 
Macromedia Dreamweaver, particularly in XHTML-mode.

- Gerd.

---

From: Jeremy Bowers <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 02:29:20 -0500

Ricardo Luis Kulzer wrote:
> *<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
> <META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
> ...*

This is probably not helpful directly to you, Ricardo, but this may 
interest other developers on the list.

I would like to observe that this is *flagrently* illegal HTML, stunning 
even by Microsoft standards (and I've been dealing with Microsoft "HTML" 
since the first tentative steps with Office and Front Page were taken, 
so I've about seen it all). "xmlns" tags are only defined for XML (and 
by extension XHTML, imported from the XML standard), and then later tags 
like META are opened but not closed, and quotes are not used, and it is 
in general does not even remotely resemble an XML file, since any 
compliant XML parser would gag on the first META tag. (Assuming the 
spaces on the attributes are just email bugaboos.) Oh, and the fake 
XHTML has the wrong case (all XHTML tag names are lowercase and case 
sensitive).

For maximal compatibility with your student's machines, I'd echo Gerd's 
recommendation to run generated HTML through a well-known Microsoft 
HTML/XHTML fixer. Microsoft products do not really produce HTML, they 
just produce something vaguely *like* HTML, and you may find there are 
other situations where you will have better luck with cleaned up 
Microsoft HTML than the originals.

You can also download the free (open source) standalone Tidy program for 
Windows here: http://www.paehl.de/tidy/
In fact the sample screenshots show it taking care of a 
Microsoft-generated document.

(Adding something about this to the documentation would probably be a 
good idea :-) )