Subject: [LON-CAPA-dev] No Meeting, Send Status Email

From: Guy Albertelli II <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 10:24:03 -0500 (EST)

Hi All,

It seems that most people would be unable to make the meeting today so
I guess I'll cancel it.

I'd appreciate it if everyone instead sent me a quick status report
for the last week.

Otherwise see you next week.

-- 
[email-masked]  LON-CAPA Developer  0-7-7-4-

---

From: Gerd Kortemeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 15:42:30 -0500

* Worked on textbased menus, fixed bug in RAT with too many parameters,
implemented seed parameter for randompick, fixed external URL in DOCS to
not mess up query strings, put in help for format on numericalresponse,
made script to see what users are on a box (cgi-bin/userstatus.pl), and
tried to fix clusterstatus.pl (but already ping.pl was kaputt).

* Will work on continuing to fix clusterstatus, textbased menus, go
through Bugzilla, thinking about schemes for hosting, and thinking about
schemes for pre-mounting courses (new role of "pre-approved course
coordinator) to compete with Angel - need to discuss.

Updates:

* submitted paper http://www.lon-capa.org/papers/cyprusloncapa.pdf
* trying to get handle on actual costs and business plan for hosting

Guy Albertelli II wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> LON-CAPA-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://mail.lon-capa.org/mailman/listinfo/lon-capa-dev

---

From: Jeremy Bowers <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 15:12:40 -0500

Guy Albertelli II wrote:

|Hi All,
|
|It seems that most people would be unable to make the meeting today so
|I guess I'll cancel it.
|
|I'd appreciate it if everyone instead sent me a quick status report
|for the last week.
|
|Otherwise see you next week.
|
I've nearly completed the print wizard for handing off to Alex. I've 
decided against trying to feed his code data, as it's too complicated 
for me to read through his own state code. He has agreed it is more 
efficient for him to extract what he needs, and I'll leave it to him to 
figure out what code of his he can take out after that. ;-) I also 
helped Matthew start a chart wizard to replace or supplement the current 
chart interface, which was going well but requires some more states, 
plus a small change to the map selection code to allow the top-level map 
to be selected. (Up to this point I've never had a need for the iterator 
to include that.)

Fixing that up has taken most of my allotted time. I had a meeting with 
Scott Pratt and came away with a lot of good ideas, which I hope to get 
to, and should spend some time more carefully documenting for insertion 
into Bugzilla. (I have notes but they would not be useful to others for 
the most part.) Also, as a result of the user testing from the last 
couple of people the Parameter wizard should be in its essentially final 
state; wording and ordering has been changed and it should no longer 
confuse people, as my first few iterations did in a few ways.

One interesting question is what else, other then open/due/answer date, 
should be accessible via that wizard. Only very common operations should 
be; it is not intended that all capabilities be exposed through that 
interface.

As I email this I'm getting ready to knock down some small things, like 
adding the new .tex files to the author's manual, and a few bug reports. 
I will continue working on wizards and bug fixes this week; I expect to 
finally finish the print wizard and knock down some bugs for the rest of 
this week.

Note that next week is Spring break, so I may be too tired out from 
frolicking in the sunshine and rolling around in the fresh, soft grass 
to get any decent work done next week. Who can work when the birds are 
chirping and the air smells like a commercial for fabric softener? Only 
in the very unlikely event of continued cold weather will I be able to 
put any quality work in. But surely a week named after spring won't be 
that bad... ;-)

---

From: "Matthew Brian Hall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 09:55:12 -0500 (EST)

Status Report:

lonstatistics has been my main focus - I have been working and reworking much
of the code.  I intend to move the html generation code that is specific to
statistics to lonstatistics and out of lonhtmlcommon.

I started clearing out the interface in lonstudentassessment but it is
pretty borken right now so I'm reluctant to check anything in.

I have not gotten into the actual meat of the stats/chart code, which is the
computation of the statistics and the display of chart.  Hope to begin this
TODAY.

Along with Guy, helped out Carmine with his errors
(caused by spaces within filenames).

Re-set up the test installation machine, working on getting CDs together
to send out to someone whose name escapes me currently.

Debugged John Merrill's spreadsheet (that I wrote).

Along with Gerd aquired the vu loncapa server.  We need to determine what to
do with it (dual processor, 1gig ram, 2 hd workstation) and the data it holds.

There are probably things I've forgotten, too.

--
------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthew Hall           LON-CAPA developer         [email-masked]
123 North Kedzie Hall                    Michigan State University
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "H. K. Ng" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 13:32:53 -0500

I have a window opened by the parent window. On the new window I have a 
form and when I submit the form, the display should go back to the parent 
window. At the same time, I want to close the new window. The two lines of 
codes in javascript

document.formname.submit();  //note the formname is targeted to the parent 
window
self.close();

seems to work with IE and mozilla. But it does not work with netscape. In 
netscape, it closes the new window and doesn't do anything, ie, it seems 
the new window is closed before the form is submitted.

Any ideas how to make work on netscape?

Thanks,
hk

---

From: Guy Albertelli II <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 18:56:08 -0500 (EST)

Hi Hon-Kie,

> Any ideas how to make work on netscape?

Looks like lonparmset does this

the Store link causes the child to write it's values to the parent window, and
then calls a function that exists in the parent window that closes the
child window.

---

From: "H. K. Ng" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 08:21:58 -0500

Hi,

I am coding some problems on my development machine and every time a 
problem contains the <m> tag, it blows up. The error_log says

Can't locate auto/tth/tthmessedup.al in @INC ...

What am I missing? The tth.so etc are all there.

Thanks,
hk

---

From: Gerd Kortemeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 08:43:13 -0500

There was a problem with the make file:

> Guy Albertelli II wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > If you have updated recently you might be getting server bombs from
> > problem with <m> in them.
> >
> > You can fix this by either
> >
> > 1) if you have the tth source the build process has an error in it,
it
> > isn't noticing the new versions on the .c files
> >
> > You can delete the existing tth.so to gets operational again
> >
> > rm loncapa/modules/TexConvert/tthperl/tth.so
> > cd loncapa/loncom/build
> > make build
> > make install
> >
> > 2) If you don't have the tth source you can grab a new good tth.so
> >    from http://install.loncapa.org/resources/tth.so
> >
> > Put it in the loncapa/modules/TexConvert/tthperl/ diretory
> > and do a make install.
> >
> > Let me know if you have any problems.

---

From: Guy Albertelli II <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 10:34:48 -0500 (EST)

Hi Hon-Kie,

> What am I missing? The tth.so etc are all there.

I made some changes at the end of Feb. that requires a new version of
tth.so

This email has more details:
http://mail.lon-capa.org/pipermail/lon-capa-dev/Week-of-Mon-20030224/000879.html

-- 
[email-masked]  LON-CAPA Developer  0-7-7-1-

---

From: "H. K. Ng" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 08:10:04 -0500

Hi,

Is there some configurations that I need to set up to print (on the 
development machine)? At the moment, when in construction space, I click on 
the Print button, I get the following:

1. If I am viewing a directory, I get
	Page Format
	choices are Landscape and Portrait
	Paper Type ...

	When I click on Next, I get the same page???

2. If I am viewing a problem, I get
	Selecting Resources to Print
	Problem name and
	Problems from /

	If problem name is checked, I get what (1) gives me.
	If problems from / is checked, there are two buttons that says Select All, 
Unselect All
	and underneath it say "There are no files available to select ..."

	It seems to be reading from the home directory rather than the current 
directory.

Are there some files that I need to install? I don't see any error messages 
on the error_log file.

Thanks,
hk

---

From: Alex Sakharuk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 08:26:31 -0500

Hi Hon-Kie,

This is because I am working on the new interface based on the lon-capa 
wozard.
You have to wait until the end of this week.

                                    Alex

H. K. Ng wrote:

> development machine)? At the moment, when in construction space, I 
> click on the Print button, I get the following:
>
>     If problems from / is checked, there are two buttons that says 
> Select All, Unselect All
>     It seems to be reading from the home directory rather than the 
> current directory.
>
> Are there some files that I need to install? I don't see any error 
> messages on the error_log file.
>
> Thanks,
> hk
>
>

---

From: Guy Albertelli II <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 18:56:29 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Jeremy,

Wwandering through some very old emails,

> be; it is not intended that all capabilities be exposed through that

I think tries should also be avaliable.

-- 
[email-masked]  LON-CAPA Developer  0-7-6-9-