Subject: [LON-CAPA-dev] nohist_resevaldata?

From: Scott Harrison <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 14:59:08 -0500

What does 'nohist_resevaldata' mean?

Guess = "No history of resource evaluation"

???

Regards,
Scott

-- 
Scott Harrison, [email-masked]

---

From: Guy Albertelli II <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 21:34:54 -0500 (EST)

Hi Scott,

> Guess = "No history of resource evaluation"

Namespaces that begin with nohist_ will not have a .hist file
generated for every value that ever changes. (For the reseval
databases thies hist files where huge and not useful)

and reseval is resource evaluation data, (This can include such
things as Degree of Difficulty along with the  results from the
'Evaluate This' button.

-- 
[email-masked]          BM: n^20 t20 z20 qS 
Guy Albertelli -7-7-5-  O-
    I'd love to but my wife is a rampant elephant bigot.

---

From: Scott Harrison <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 22:08:21 -0500

On Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 09:34:54PM -0500, Guy Albertelli II wrote:
> generated for every value that ever changes.

I need an example here.  Namespace = http://somewhere/nohist_ ??????????

Can you outline a functional use of nohist_resevaldata?

For example,
Joe asks server something and nohist_resevaldata is used to
provide...???

The server updates nohist_resevaldata when...???

Thanks.

Regards,
Scott

---

From: Scott Harrison <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 23:37:26 -0500

Also, what's the functional difference between
nohist_new_resevaldata and nohist_resevaldata
in terms of when/how they are used?

On Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 10:08:21PM -0500, Scott Harrison wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> LON-CAPA-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://mail.lon-capa.org/mailman/listinfo/lon-capa-dev

---

From: Guy Albertelli II <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 08:44:33 -0500 (EST)

Hi Scott,

> in terms of when/how they are used?

nohist_new_resevaldata is a temp db file

Some data is summarized in the process of copying elements from
nohist_resevaldata to nohist_new_resevaldata

both are then closed and nohist_new_resaevaldata replaces
nohist_resevaldata

-- 
[email-masked]          BM: n^20 t20 z20 qS 
Guy Albertelli -7-7-5-  O-
    I no longer need to punish, deceive or compromise myself.  Unless
    of course I want to stay employed.

---

From: Guy Albertelli II <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 08:53:59 -0500 (EST)

Hi Scott,

> I need an example here.  Namespace = http://somewhere/nohist_ ??????????

Sorry, namespace as defined in lonnet.pm since most accesses to the
nohist_resevaldata takes place through Apache::lonnet::(dump,put,get)

As it is currently used internally is always the name of the .db file
that the data is being stored in, gotten from.

> The server updates nohist_resevaldata when...???

Sure

line 852 of lonproblemstatics.pm stores a computed 'Degree of
Difficulty' for a homework problem with the homework problem

Additionaly, lonevaluate.pm stores the data submitted by the a student
the evaluates the quality of the resource, and any comments the user
has.

lonmeta.pm (which display a resource's metadata when a user clicks on
the 'CAT' button) gets a dump of the resources and then displays it.

And by far the most common element is that every single time a user
request to view a resource, that request is logged along with the
course the user was in. (This is a bit harder to trace, but if you
follow the courselog and flushcourselog code you can see where it
happens. There is good reason for it to be so circuitous.)

Let me know if you need any more information.
-- 
[email-masked]          BM: n^20 t20 z20 qS 
Guy Albertelli -7-7-5-  O-
    I would love to but . . . it wouldn't be fair to the other Beautiful
    People.

---

From: Gerd Kortemeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 09:03:10 -0500

Scott,

That's a db-file where the dynamic metadata (comments, evaluations,
degree of difficulty, access stats, etc) are stored.

The "nohist_" prefix on LON-CAPA db-files means that no history file is
kept - the history file would otherwise be huge.

- Gerd.

---

From: "H. K. Ng" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 07:46:09 -0400

Hi,

Can someone tell me what causes the following error message?

[error] [client 35.8.63.46] File does not exist: 
/home/httpd/html/lon-status/mysql.txt [Mon Sep 8 03:16:53

Thanks,
hk

---

From: Gerd Kortemeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 08:19:32 -0400

If this is a library server, that file should have been generated at 
lonsql startup, or at searchcat.pl runs.

The reason it is queried for is that we are starting to monitor the 
cluster status, 35.8.63.xxx is a machine in our lab.