Subject: [LON-CAPA-dev] happiness = FIXED > ASSIGNED

From: Scott Harrison <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 May 2002 01:48:27 -0400

Dear All:

Yeah!!!

I've crossed the rubicon!!!

http://bugs.lon-capa.org/buglist.cgi?resolution=FIXED&email1=harris41&emailtype1=substring&emailassigned_to1=1

http://bugs.lon-capa.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=ASSIGNED&email1=harris41&emailtype1=substring&emailassigned_to1=1

FIXED = 31
ASSIGNED = 29

(Never mind ..umm.. the higher difficulty level in the ASSIGNED set.)

Woohoo!!!

Regards,
Scott

-- 
Scott Harrison -- Graduate Student
Microbiology and Molecular Genetics
Mich. State. Univ., East Lansing, MI
[email-masked], 517-353-0998

---

From: Guy Albertelli II <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 10:17:16 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Scott,

> I've crossed the rubicon!!!

Yeah!

BTW, RESOLVED = 147
NEW, ASSIGNED, REOPENED = 177

Only 30 more to go.
-- 
[email-masked]        BM: n^20 t20 z20 qS 
Guy Albertelli -7-8-7-  O-
    I seldom buy things that have wacky smiling cartoon cephalopods 
    on the package.                 -Kibo

---

From: Helen Keefe <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 May 2002 10:48:48 -0400

Hi,

Is this the season for alpha-geeks to come out of their caves?

Helen

Guy Albertelli II wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> LON-CAPA-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://mail.lon-capa.org/mailman/listinfo/lon-capa-dev

-- 
Helen Keefe
LON-CAPA/ ITR Project Manager
Laboratory for Instructional Technology in Education
111 North Kedzie Labs
East Lansing, MI 48824

E-mail: [email-masked]
Web:   http://www.lite.msu.edu/
Phone: 517-432-9867
Fax:   517-432-5653

---

From: Gerd Kortemeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 May 2002 13:12:49 -0400

> Is this the season for alpha-geeks to come out of their caves?

Yes, they dance around a burning MS Windows box, get ecstatic, and
babble random Perl regular expressions, such as
"s/(\w+)\..*([^\_]*)/$2\_$1/gs"

What Scott says is that we are catching up on Bugzilla: 324 bugs total,
147 solved. Almost over the hill, yeah! Until then, we do stay in our
caves.

---

From: Scott Harrison <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 May 2002 13:35:05 -0400

Dear Helen:

> Is this the season for alpha-geeks to come out of their caves?

main entry: geek
pronunciation: 'gek
function: noun
etymology: probably from english dialect geek, geck fool, from low
german geck, from middle low german
date: 1914
1 : a carnival performer often billed as a wild man whose act usually
includes biting the head off a live chicken or snake
(from http://www.waferbaby.com/brainstorm/geek/)

Circa the latter part of the 19th and early part of the 20th century,
geeks (as defined in the dictionary) actually came out of tents and
trains as opposed to caves.

If alpha implies a prehistorical qualification, it could refer to
humans 4000-18000 years ago who did both live in caves and, as
archaeological evidence dictates, engage in ceremonies somewhat
reminiscent of a carnival.

However, everyone lived in caves back then.  I guess the crux of
the question might relate to whether or not, during the transition
from caves to less subterranean units like wigwams, the carnival-type
members of society tended to remain in caves compared to the
bourgeoistic wigwam dwellers.  If so, we can then infer that there
indeed was a distinct class of cave-dwelling alpha geeks whose behavior
can be better elucidated.

As far as the seasonal association of the spring, I would suggest
that many carnival activities may happen closer to the summer as opposed
to the spring.  However, since hardly any carnival activities happen
during the winter, and there is an abrupt phase shift in carnival
frequency with the onset of the spring, perhaps this helps explain
the perception that alpha geeks emerge this time of year.

Regards,
Scott