Subject: [LON-CAPA-dev] glibc rpms

From: "Matthew Brian Hall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 11:05:44 -0500 (EST)

Hello all.

Scott ran into trouble today with the latest glibc packages from RedHat.
It seemed to have messed up his sshd when he did it, although I'm not
sure about the entire sequence of events.  I had to log in to his machine
at the console and restart the daemon.

So, doing this update over ssh is not recommended at this point - log in at the
console, or if you must do it remotely, set up an 'at' command to restart the
sshd before you do the install:

echo '/etc/init.d/sshd restart;' | at now + 3 min
rpm -Uvh glibc*;

It would be nice to have a "daemon daemon" which would monitor the daemons on
a machine and restart them if needed.  But this may not have helped in this
case as, from what I saw on Scott's machine, sshd thought everything was
wonderful even though he was having problems logging in.

Matthew

--
------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthew Hall           LON-CAPA developer         [email-masked]
123 North Kedzie Hall                    Michigan State University
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Martin Siegert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 12:28:43 -0800

> echo '/etc/init.d/sshd restart;' | at now + 3 min

This does not work either:

After you upgrade a shared library you must restart all programs that use
that library - particularly when you upgraded the shared library because
of a security flaw. Without restarting the programs you have not fixed
anything (the flawed code is still kept in memory). Since libc.so is
used by basically everything the only proper way to upgrade the C library
is:

rpm -Fvh glibc-2.2.5-43.i686.rpm
reboot

You probably want to combine this with upgrading your kernel to 2.4.18-27.7.x
Martin

========================================================================
Martin Siegert
Academic Computing Services                        phone: (604) 291-4691
Simon Fraser University                            fax:   (604) 291-4242
Burnaby, British Columbia                          email: [email-masked]
Canada  V5A 1S6
========================================================================