Subject: [LON-CAPA-dev] Future Directions Meeting

From: Guy Albertelli II <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 15:28:42 -0400 (EDT)

Hi All,

We'll be having the Future Directions meeting as part of the LON-CAPA
Consortium meetings at UIUC on Oct. 24th tentatively at 3PM CDT.

Please send any feature requests to the lon-capa-dev list, and vote on
any bugs by that time so we can get an idea of what the user community
is interested in.

If you would like to attend the meeting please let Felicia know
([email-masked]) so we can make arrangements.

-- 
[email-masked]   0-7-1-6-27,137

---

From: Gerd Kortemeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 06:12:03 -0400

Hi,

> any bugs by that time so we can get an idea of what the user community

* New scalable cluster solution
   - easier management of cluster membership ("nameservers")
   - easier management of domain colors, logos, etc
   - work on replication for temporarily offline systems
   - faster reconnect of machines that were temporarily offline
   - trusted host clusters, load balancing

* Better and more consistent look
   - seems silly, but needed
   - continuing CSS efforts

* Accessibility - work through study findings

* Usability - work through study findings

- Gerd.

---

From: Felicia Berryman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 16:28:33 -0400

Hello,

These are the bugs I voted for.  The starred ones have two votes:
1243    Automatic regrade of problems      
*2621    cloning course copies open dates and ANSWER DATES    
*2702    numerical response parameters for computer generated wrong 
answers    
2965    cloned course should do some clean-up when copying PARM settings 
   
3451    need system in place to help documentation writer    
3611    ability to grade by code    
3765    DC select any author role    
4453    need a way to handle ID changes

>   - seems silly, but needed

I spoke with Jeff about this and asked if he had any suggestions about 
the look and feel of LON-CAPA.  He said that if we can narrow down the 
interface to just a few screen designs, then someone could make some CSS 
skins for each of those.  Therefore, in the next couple of months I 
would suggest continuing the CSS efforts and try to make things look 
more consistent to what is already there.  For example, the initial 
PARM, ENRL, and STAT screen all look similar.  That same style could be 
applied to other initial screens like GRDS.  To make things look better, 
someone would just need to make skins (i.e. style sheets) for "index 
screens" and other screen categories.  I think making things look better 
shouldn't be considered just yet.  This is something we can work on 
after we actually figure out what screen categories we have and make 
them consistent.  We could then use real data gathered from usability 
and design techniques such as card sorting and our previous usability 
studies to guide our designs.

Felicia

---

From: "Robley Light" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 12:12:58 -0400

There is something I've been meaning to ask about.  The search feature can
sometimes be slow as it goes domain by domain, getting hung up occassionally
if a server is slow.  Also it depends on how good a job people have done in
putting in key words.  So I seldom use it.

Any chance of getting Google, or a Google-like search process accomplished?
(I'm pretty naïve about how search engines work, but I have the impression
they build indexes by continually trolling web pages, and then the "search"
is remarkably quick.)  Does the LON-CAPA search work that way?  Can an index
of the complete system be built and maintained from day to day?  How much
space does that take?  

Would Google do it for free? (though I doubt we'd want to start having ads
show up).

Also, the search feature is available from Course Documents when you are
about to import a document, but doesn't seem to be available when you are
just browsing RES space (either from a course or from construction space).
Shouldn't one be able to search from there as well?

Robley Light

*************************************************************
Robley J. Light                  Professor Emeritus of Chemistry and
Biochemistry
Department of Chemistry          Phone:   (850) 644-3844
   and Biochemistry              Email:  [email-masked]  
Florida State University         Fax:      (850) 644-8281
Tallahassee, FL 32306-4390    Home Page:
http://www.chem.fsu.edu/editors/rlight   

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] 
> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of 
> Guy Albertelli II
> Sent: Friday, October 06, 2006 3:29 PM
> To: lon-capa-dev; lon-capa-users
> Subject: [LON-CAPA-dev] Future Directions Meeting
> 
> Hi All,
> 
> We'll be having the Future Directions meeting as part of the 
> LON-CAPA Consortium meetings at UIUC on Oct. 24th tentatively 
> at 3PM CDT.
> 
> Please send any feature requests to the lon-capa-dev list, 
> and vote on any bugs by that time so we can get an idea of 
> what the user community is interested in.
> 
> _______________________________________________
> LON-CAPA-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://mail.lon-capa.org/mailman/listinfo/lon-capa-dev
>