Subject: [LON-CAPA-dev] New Perl module

From: "Matthew Brian Hall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 14:29:40 -0500 (EST)

The next commit of lonspreadsheet.pm will use the Spreadsheet::WriteExcel
module.  You will need to install this module on your machine.

The suggested method of doing the install is to execute:

perl -MCPAN -e shell

If you have not run the CPAN module before you will need to configure it
interactively.  Most of the defaults are sane - the only place I could
not simply hit return was the selection of a repository.

Using the CPAN shell, issue the command:

install Spreadsheet::WriteExcel

This will fetch, build, test, and install the module for you.

Another method to use is to grab it yourself from CPAN (www.cpan.org)
and build, test, and install the module yourself.

Let me know if you have trouble with this operation.

Matthew

--
------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthew Hall           LON-CAPA developer         [email-masked]
123 North Kedzie Hall                    Michigan State University
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Scott Harrison <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 18:59:16 -0500

Dear Matthew:

Can you please add Spreadsheet::WriteExcel information to
loncapa/loncom/build/system_dependencies/cpan_distributions.txt?

And, Dear All:

Also, 3 months ago cpan_distributions.txt was 100% functionally up-to-date.
Since then, I have heard a muttering about Apache::File?  This used
to be part of the mod_perl RPM, I'm not sure about RH8 though.
If there any details out there, let's make it up to date as opposed
to grasping at amazingly focked conclusions (holds head and SCREAMS).

IMHO, it is very important to keep a reliable account of utilized
CPAN modules--helping LON-CAPA rest on the shoulders of other
freeware efforts will generally accelerate development (a reliable
account will also help transition between operating system versions).

Regards,
Scott

On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 02:29:40PM -0500, Matthew Brian Hall wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> LON-CAPA-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://mail.lon-capa.org/mailman/listinfo/lon-capa-dev
> ------( NOTE )------------->
> This E-mail was scanned for viruses by Ramcell Online (http://www.ramcell.net/antivirus.asp)
> 

-- 
Scott Harrison, [email-masked]

---

From: Jeremy Bowers <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Nov 2002 15:42:58 -0500

> to grasping at amazingly focked conclusions (holds head and SCREAMS).

As the mutterer... don't get too excited until we have someone do a
clean install of RH8 + LON-CAPA. From what I hear, the nsdl gateway
machine was "messed up", unknown "how" messed up and in what ways, so I
wouldn't get too excited about this yet. So while Apache::File was
unable to be found by perl (not *necessarily* missing, just not found),
we don't know that there is a specific problem.

If there's a spare machine around, I'd be happy to do the RH8 + LON-CAPA
install sometime as a test, but I don't want to do it on my work machine
(or personal machine! ;-) ) until we're a bit more confident that I
wouldn't lose the devel machine for extended periods of time. I did get
some experience making LON-CAPA work on odd ("non-Red Hat")
architectures when I got it running (mostly; I've since noticed there's
something wrong with the CAPA interface, as trying to do any problems
crashes the server, which reminds me I should get that into Bugzilla so
it can be officially marked "WONTFIX" ;-) ) in Gentoo.

Perhaps a good post-freeze project.

---

From: "Matthew Brian Hall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 08:26:05 -0500 (EST)

> wouldn't lose the devel machine for extended periods of time.

There is a 'test install machine', which is currently set up to (relatively
automatically) reinstall 7.3 on itself.  We can use it to install 8.0 in the
coming week(s).