Subject: [LON-CAPA-dev] Guts manual conversion - please keep an eye out for "your" documentation and update it

From: Jeremy Bowers <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 11:29:20 -0500

I'm moving the Guts manual documentation into POD in the modules they 
reference, and dynamically generating a "Developer's Manual" from them, 
similar to how I generate an Author's Manual.

The Guts manual is, however, a couple of years old. While a *lot* of it 
still applies, some of it may not, and I'm not in a position to always 
know exactly whether a given passage is correct.

Please keep an eye out for things you may know about going by on the CVS 
and take a look at the documentation to make sure it's current. For 
instance, I'm about to do lonsql, and while it looks largely correct I 
would be surprised if the details are all still correct, especially the 
exact fields stored in the database.

If you have corrections, please make them directly and commit them if 
you have CVS access; there's no need to go through me as it's not really 
"my" documentation. Also, all I'm asking for is factual corrections; 
once I've converted the Guts manual entirely I may (or may not, 
depending on how it looks) try to re-write a better LON-CAPA overview 
for brand new developers assembled from the various pieces, so I will 
take care of rewriting for better flow later. It's the factual 
corrections I can't necessarily do.

There is no particular time pressure; the "developer's manual" will not 
be included in 1.0. I hope to post a single, centralized version on the 
www.loncapa.org site somewhere around the 1.0 release, and have it 
dynamically build on installed systems for 1.1.