Subject: Re: [LON-CAPA-dev] LONCAPA-prerequisites: updated for perl-LaTeX-Table, PDF Forms

From: Stuart Raeburn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 13:23:33 -0400

Stefan,

Thanks for reporting this (and providing your solution to the list).

These perl modules are second-order dependencies for the  
perl-LaTeX-Table rpm.  I am currently in the process of adding rpms  
for these to the msu/testing repos for the various supported distros  
on http://install.loncapa.org/.

Once this is complete, newer versions of perl-Class-MOP,  
perl-MRO-Compat and perl-LaTeX-Table will be available which include  
these dependencies.

I'll send an email with further information about this to the list,  
once that task is complete, and also about the new  
LONCAPA-prerequisites rev 1-14, which includes a dependency for the  
statistical package "R", needed by the new daemon 'lonr', recently  
added to loncontrol/loncron.

Given the time it takes to build rpms for all distros/architectures  
and update the msu/testing repos, addition of new rpms may often not  
occur until close to release of a new LON-CAPA release, when it is  
fairly certain that a new feature,  with new dependencies will be  
included in the release.

In the interim, if httpd fails to start because of a new perl module  
dependency,  cpan is simple to use, and a good way for developers to  
keep their systems up to date so they can work with bleeding edge  
LON-CAPA. As you indicate, the Apache error log will report which  
module(s) is/are needed in such cases.

The single command:

cpan Class::C3 Devel::GlobalDestruction Sub::Name Module::Pluggable

suffices in this case.

Stuart Raeburn
MSU LON-CAPA group

> Thanks for this guide Stuart.
>
> I'm not sure whether the issues I encountered should be covered by  
> it.  So here is what happened:
> After an update to the latest cvs version and following the  
> procedure  described in your guide (I had the old 1.13 version of  
> LONCAPA- prerequisites installed, which was removed and replaced by  
> the new  one), httpd refused to restart complaining about following  
> missing  perl modules:
>
> - Class::C3
> - Devel::GlobalDestruction
> - Sub::Name
> - Module::Pluggable
>
> I installed the above listed modules using the cpan shell and   
> everything works fine now. This happened on CentOS5.
>
> Stefan Droeschler