[LON-CAPA-admin] Can't see one of my student's problems

Raeburn, Stuart raeburn at msu.edu
Mon Feb 5 15:55:34 EST 2024

Nathan,

I have tried various ways to break my Ubuntu 20 LON-CAPA testing VM so it will display: "Invalid argument" (from /usr/share/perl5/LWP/Protocol/http.pm line 50) but so far I always get more useful output than simply: "Invalid argument" when IO::Socket::INET socket creation fails (when attempting to generate the student's view of a problem etc.).

You might create an executable testlwp.pl perl script file on your server containing the following minimal test case:

#!/usr/bin/perl

use strict;
use LWP::UserAgent();

my $ua=new LWP::UserAgent;
$ua->local_address('127.0.0.1');
my $request=new HTTP::Request('GET',"https://loncapa.winona.edu/adm/about.html");
my $response=$ua->request($request);
print "Result ".$response->status_line."\n";

and run it to see what response status is reported.

I am assuming that display of a student's view of a problem used to work. The question would be what changes have been made on your server/network since it last worked, e.g.,

(a) package updates
(b) network changes
(c) firewall changes
(d) certificate changes

I see that the SSL certificate for loncapa.winona.edu from letsencrypt.org has a start date of 1/10/2024, so that is one recent change.

Stuart Raeburn
LON-CAPA Academic Consortium