[LON-CAPA-admin] Internal error

Raeburn, Stuart raeburn at msu.edu
Sat Apr 11 09:44:43 EDT 2020

HK,

For some reason your 3/30 post to the lon-capa-admin list did not show up in my MSU e-mail inbox, despite the fact that the mail logs on the lon-capa mail server show it was successfully delivered.  Anyway I happened to come across your post when looking at the mailing list archives for March.

You are seeing "Failed to transfer" in lonnet.log on loncapa3.fsu.edu, because the notification to your library server to fetch the file (i.e., a "fetchuserfile" request sent to lond on loncapa10.fsu.edu), is returning "failed".  The reason why loncapa10.fsu.edu is unable to retrieve the uploaded file via an LWP request to loncapa3.fsu.edu is that your Apache SSL certificate chain on loncapa3.fsu.edu is not correct.

Looking at the Apache SSL certificate for loncapa3.fsu.edu I see a new certificate was recently created (start date: 3/15/2020).  However, the intermediate certificate start date is 11/1/2018, so most likely when you installed your new certificate you should have also installed an updated intermediate certificate.

Anyway, the "What's My Chain Cert?" web site currently reports that your certificate chain is misconfigured.
See: whatsmychaincert.com/?loncapa3.fsu.edu

For each "Failed to transfer" entry you see in lonnet.log on loncapa3.fsu.edu I expect you will see a corresponding: "LWP GET: could not connect" in lond.log on loncapa10.fsu.edu, because LWP 6 will not make a connection to an https:// URL, unless the Apache SSL certificate chain is valid for the remote URL.

Stuart Raeburn
LON-CAPA Academic Consortium