[LON-CAPA-admin] certbot and document root

Moore, Nathan T nmoore at winona.edu
Wed Dec 19 15:25:08 EST 2018

I'm working on an loncapa install on a RHEL7.6 box, running Apache 2.4.6

I had loncapa up and running 2 hrs ago but I've messed up the httpd configuration.

Specifically, after the loncapa install I started working with certbot for ssl.  Certbot requires a "Virtual host" to run successfully.  The certbot email list suggests I include something like:

ServerName loncapa.winona.edu:80

And

Listen 80
<VirtualHost *:80>
    DocumentRoot "/home/httpd/html"
    ServerName loncapa.winona.edu

    # Other directives here
        RewriteEngine on
        RewriteCond %{SERVER_NAME} =loncapa.winona.edu
        RewriteRule ^ https://%{SERVER_NAME}%{REQUEST_URI} [END,NE,R=permanent]
</VirtualHost>

With these changes, loncapa fails to load anything.

Is "/home/httpd/html" the appropriate document root for loncapa?

Related, because it is a cloud service it has an untypeable domain name.  Is this a problem?
[root at WSU-Lon-Capa conf]# hostname --fqdn
WSU-Lon-Capa.iel215phooculndmj5ogxpf3zg.ex.internal.cloudapp.net
But our local dns maps loncapa.winona.edu to the machine's ip address 52.162.238.218
Nathan Moore, PhD
Physics, Winona State University