[LON-CAPA-admin] Updating class roster

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Wed Aug 30 08:52:05 EDT 2017

Hi HK,

> ... Now he wants to update with names, emails etc. Just uploading a
> csv file doesn't seem to do it.

Select the Domain Coordinator role in the instructor's domain, and use:

Main Menu > Set Domain configuration > Display (User modification checked)

In the second panel (Target user has role | User information updatable
in course context), check the checkboxes for any fields (chosen from::
Last Name, First Name, Middle Name, Generation, E-mail address, and
Student/Employee ID) for the "Student" row, which you would like a
Course Coordinator to be able to modify via upload of a csv file
containing usernames, (and the corresponding additional user
information), and push the "Save changes" button.

> Is there a script that can update the
> roster and also, the info in each user directory?

There is a nightly script -- /home/httpd/perl/Autoupdate.pl, which by
default runs at 3:30 am local time, if you use:

Main Menu > Set Domain configuration > Display (Auto-update settings checked)

and set the following two configurations:

Auto-update active
Update information in classlists

to yes.

However, for this to work you need to customize the &allusers_info()
routine in /home/httpd/lib/perl/localenroll.pm to retrieve user
information from an institutional data source, although that source
could potentially be a plain text file on the same server, if you so
wished.

See: section 2.9 "Identity Management: Automated Updates of User Informa-
tion" on p. 15 of the Domain Coordination manual.

Note: if you are running a multi-domain server, you can customize
allusers_info() to retrieve user information for the different domains
from different sources. The first item in the arguments received by
localenroll::allusers_info() is the domain.

Stuart Raeburn
LON-CAPA Academic Consortium