[LON-CAPA-admin] Republish Course Content?

Young, Joyce E young257 at purdue.edu
Fri Aug 25 11:01:30 EDT 2017

All,
                We had an incident where our library server was not communicating with our application servers for a time. Users were all logging into the library server and all seemed fine until the library server got overloaded, we saw what was happening, and got all servers communicating again.
                During the time when activity was only happening on the library server, some course problems were edited and republished. When we re-connected all servers and students were then re-routed to the application servers, we learned that the students were not seeing the updated problem versions. The updated problems were not pushed to the application servers as they would have been during normal circumstances.
                We found that if the problems were re-published, once all servers were connected, then the version push happened as it should. To rectify our issue, we went in and manually republished any problems that were edited during the "dark" period.
                Is there an easier way to handle this situation if it should happen again? Is there a way to "refresh" a whole course, re-publishing any content currently used in that course? Could we have just copied the affected .problem and .problem.meta files from the library server over to the application servers?
                The authorspace directories that we pull from have unpublished resources in them (works in progress), so republishing at the directory level wouldn't work for us. Any advice or ideas would be appreciated. We don't expect this to happen again, but it would be nice to have a plan in place in case it does.
                                                                                                Thanks,
                                                                                                                Joyce Young

Joyce Young
Programmer/Analyst
ITAS - Student Systems Competency Center
Purdue University
3495 Kent Avenue, Suite 100
West Lafayette, IN 47906
Phone: (765) 427-6340