[LON-CAPA-admin] Running standalone lon-capa in a virtual machine

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Thu Sep 24 18:57:33 EDT 2015

Bob,

> Is it feasible to install lon-capa in standalone mode in a virtual machine
> under VirtualBox on a Macbook for the sole purpose of coding new problems?

I expect so. How much RAM does the Macbook have?

I have a number of VMs, each with its own (different) Linux
distro/version and its own LON-CAPA installation on a Macbook Pro with
4 GB of RAM (although memory constraints limit me to running no more
than three of those VMs simultaneously).  Personally I prefer VMware
Fusion (not free) to VirtualBox (free).

If you go this route I would recommend using the same domain and
authoring space username and folder structure as you plan to use when
you copy content to the production environment, so that you avoid
having to modify paths etc.

> We are thinking of hiring a computer science student to do some work for us
> and want to try to control what they have access to.  Any comments on this
> aspect of the situation would be welcome as well.

Here at MSU what has typically been done in this situation is for a
domain coordinator to create an authoring space for a discipline or
sub-discipline, rather than a user, e.g., GeneticsGroup, che-thermo
etc., and then to assign co-author rights to the authoring space to a
faculty mentor.  Students who then need access to the authoring space
to code content are assigned assistant co-author roles in that space.

If those students need to import the content into a "course"
environment they can also be assigned either a coordinator role in a
community, or a custom role in a course, where the role's privileges
exclude "Browse resources" and "Advanced role" at system level, but
include "Browse own authored/co-authored published resources".

Stuart Raeburn
LON-CAPA Academic Consortium