[LON-CAPA-admin] Userfile repcopy failed Error

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Thu Sep 24 17:31:05 EDT 2015

Andrew,

I would expect replication to fail if the request is for:

uploaded/purdue/3c144182bf4c45535purduel1/default_1435002835.sequence___6___purdue/purdue_math/math16020/Differential Equations/Separation of
Variables/Problems/26_SepOfVariable_d.problem.meta

since that is actually the "symb" (i.e., the unique identifier for a
specific instance of a resource) albeit with a .meta extension added.

However, I would expect replication to work for:
/res/purdue/purdue_math/math16020/Differential Equations/Separation of
Variables/Problems/26_SepOfVariable_d.problem.meta

Anyway, looking at lonnet.log on one of the MSU LON-CAPA access
servers I see four instances of a request of this type today (9/24) at
MSU, i.e., for a "symb", with a .meta extension appended.

The timestamp of the log entry in lonnet.log is the same as the
timestamp of the corresponding request logged in the Apache access log
file on the library server  - response: 404 "file not found").

Comparing that timestamp with that of requests made at exactly the
same time on the access server, it appears that the recopy failed
event was caused when processing a request for
/adm/feedback?inhibitmenu=yes&modal=yes, i.e., when a student pushed
the "Reply" link to pop-up a modal window to reply to one of the
discussion posts displayed below the rendered problem.

The post added by the student is displayed, so this "userfile recopy
failed" error does not seem to have impacted the end user.

I'll look into this some more and see if I can actually reproduce this
behavior in my dev. environment.

Stuart Raeburn
LON-CAPA Academic Consortium