[LON-CAPA-admin] Regular Server Restarts

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Wed Oct 7 16:47:43 EDT 2015

Lee,

For the LON-CAPA domains I manage, I find that I typically need to
restart my LON-CAPA VMs about once a month because of kernel security
updates for the Linux distros I use.  The individual VMs restart very
rapidly as compared with the time needed for the host itself to
restart when I reboot that.

I typically restart the VMs between 5.30 am and 6.30 am so users are
not impacted, but I avoid taking the MSU LON-CAPA library instance
offline around 5.10 am and 6.10 am local time, as it is one of the
authoritative "DNS servers" in the LON-CAPA network contacted daily by
other servers to retrieve information about cluster membership when
/home/httpd/perl/loncron runs.

> If we are shutting down apache and lon-capa anyway, we are also
> considering clearing the temporary files on the access servers.

Which temporary files are you considering clearing?

Stuart Raeburn
LON-CAPA Academic Consortium