[LON-CAPA-admin] lon-balancer

Todd Ruskell todd.ruskell at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 16:28:07 EDT 2015

Hi All,

Unfortunately, I don't have any suggestions, because I've been noticing the
same thing:

My domain has three servers--a lonbalancer, a library server, and an access
server.  My intent is to maintain roughly equal loads on the library and
access servers, both of which are VMs with 8 CPUs and 16 GB of ram.  Both
have a lonLoadLim of 5.

I know that the balancer can and does offload sessions to both the library
and access servers, both of which are designated as "default" servers.  But
it doesn't seem to do so in a way I expect.  My understanding is that new
sessions are supposed to go the server with the least load.  Yet, with
conditions similar to these:

library server load average:  0.38, 0.56, 0.53
userstatus.pl reports: 28 Active and 214 Moderately active users

access server load average: 0.01, 0.04, 0.01
userstatus.pl reports: 6 Active and 30 Moderately active users

user sessions seem to always go to the library server.  It is not until the
1-minute load average drops to zero that the load balancer directs a
session to the access server.  I seem to have the same behavior when both
servers are set to "primary" as well.  It doesn't seem like this is how
it's supposed to work.

What am I missing?

Todd