[LON-CAPA-admin] JSmol and /adm/ folder location

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Mon Nov 9 15:30:29 EST 2015

Lee,

> ... I suspect I am either looking in the  wrong location or that the
> javascript modules didn't update with the  updater.

It appears that for some reason the LON-CAPA servers in the uiuc
domain do not have jsmol installed, as the file I find at a URL of:

/adm/jmol/Jmol.js

on access1, access2, access3, access4, library1 and balance1 in your
domain is exclusively for jmol (instead of being a combination file to
support both jmol and jsmol, as expected for 2.11.1).

The files and directories needed are:
/home/httpd/html/adm/jmol/Jmol.js
/home/httpd/html/adm/jmol/j2s
/home/httpd/html/adm/jmol/java

Installation/update of LON-CAPA 2.11.1 is designed to take care of
installing the necessary file but it apparently failed on your
servers. (I'm guessing either a missing dependency or some other
shell-script issue).

To install now, do:

cd /some_path_to_2.11.1/loncom/html/adm/jmol

replacing some_path_to_2.11.1 with whatever the actual path is to the
loncapa-2.11.1 directory created by uncompressing the
loncapa-2.11.1.tar.gz tarball and then run:

/bin/bash commands

If this fails to install, it may because you are missing a dependency
(e.g. bc or unzip) which the "commands" script uses.  Look at the
output when you run: /bin/bash commands

The URL for this web page:
/res/msu/raeburn/testing/jmol/jsmolwebpage.html

is for a resource published public to the LON-CAPA content repository
which includes javascript to call jmolApplet().

By default this will render using jsmol/HTML5, but Java will be used
if ?_USE=JAVA is appended (e.g., display:
https://s10.lite.msu.edu/res/msu/raeburn/testing/jmol/jsmolwebpage.html
)

Stuart Raeburn
LON-CAPA Academic Consortium