[LON-CAPA-admin] translation of lon-capa

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Wed May 6 11:48:47 EDT 2015

Hi,

> I want to translate lon-capa web interface into Korean.
> I am looking for a documentation for translation.

Localization of the LON-CAPA interface for each supported language
uses a file found in /home/httpd/lib/perl/Apache/localize/ on a
LON-CAPA server.

Below is a description of LON-CAPA's implementation of localization,
which I have copied from the perldoc contained in
/home/httpd/lib/perl/Apache/lonlocal.pm file.

The lonlocal.pm module itself provides localization services for
LON-CAPA programmers based on the CPAN module: Locale::Maketext. See
"http://search.cpan.org/~toddr/Locale-Maketext-1.26/lib/Locale/Maketext.pod"
for more information on Maketext.

"The internationalization process involves putting a wrapper around
on-screen user messages and menus and turning them into keys, which
the Maketext library translates into the desired language output using
a look-up table ("lexicon").

As keys we are currently using the plain English messages, and
Maketext is configured to replace the message by its own key if no
translation is found. This makes it easy to phase in the
internationalization without disturbing the screen output."

I have added a lexicon file for ko.pm to the LON-CAPA CVS repository.
You can retrieve that file from:

http://source.loncapa.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/loncom/localize/localize/ko.pm?rev=1.1;content-type=text/plain

Currently the ko.pm file contains about 10,000 keys (phrases in
English).  As you make translations, you will replace the
corresponding value for each key with the translation of the phrase
used for the key (currently each value is the same as the original key).

Lexicons for other languages (de.pm -- the lexicon for German is the
most complete, and was the one I used to create the initial ko.pm
file) can be found at:

http://source.loncapa.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/loncom/localize/localize

If you would like to share your ko.pm lexicon with the LON-CAPA
community that would be much appreciated. If you choose to do that, I
can include the lexicon with future LON-CAPA releases.

Let me know if you have any questions.

LON-CAPA Academic Consortium