[LON-CAPA-admin] Optimum Load Balancing

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Mon Mar 2 19:06:01 EST 2015

Hi,

What you can do currently in LON-CAPA is to use a domain configuration
to cause users who are attempting to display the log-in page on each
of your servers to be redirected to the LON-CAPA load-balancer server.

This avoids the infinite loop, because users who already have a
session on one of the access servers will see the: "Already logged in"
message, if they display the log-in page on that particular server.

As Domain Coordinator, use:
Main Menu -> Set domain configuration -> Display ("Log-in page
options" checked).

If your domain contains more than one server then you will see a
"Log-in Service" section.  For each access server listed select the
hostname of the load balancer server in the "Redirect to" drop down
list, and then choose the Path.

If you plan to use Shibboleth authentication on the load balancer
server, you should select / as the path.  You can also enter IP
addresses for clients which you wish to exempt from the redirect.
(This is useful if you use periodic robotic log-in, role selection,
course display, and log-out for each of your LON-CAPA servers from a
script run on a dedicated monitoring server).

See:
https://library1.lon-capa.uiuc.edu/adm/help/Domain_Configuration_Login_Page.hlp

Stuart Raeburn
LON-CAPA Academic Consortium