[LON-CAPA-admin] Server is temporarily not available for login.

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Fri Feb 20 15:27:35 EST 2015

Maged,

> Any idea why am I getting this error and how to stop it, should I
> just restart loncapa?

The error: ""This LON-CAPA server is temporarily not available for
login" originates in /home/httpd/lib/perl/Apache/lonlogin.pm and
occurs when LON-CAPA fails to successfully store token information
generated when displaying the standard LON-CAPA log-in page.

This can occur in two ways:

(a) The LON-CAPA Host ID of the machine does not map to a hostname.

In this case you'll find a message: "No valid logtoken for log-in page
-- unable to determine hostname for hostID: <Host ID> Check entry in
hosts.tab" in /home/httpd/perl/logs/lonnet.log

or

(b) The LON-CAPA daemons are unable to sustain a connection on the
local machine (i.e., lonc on the server/VM itself fails when
connecting to lond on the server/VM itself).

To fix (a) check that you have the correct information for the
LON-CAPA server in /home/httpd/lonTabs/hosts.tab

For (b), take a look at:
ps aux |grep lond
ps aux |grep lonc

sudo /etc/init.d/loncontrol restart