[LON-CAPA-admin] lonExpire

Lucas, Mark lucasm at ohio.edu
Mon Sep 29 12:17:02 EDT 2014

I would like to cleanup stale user sessions more often. I’m getting more students who stay
logged in over several days without refreshing their course, and thus missing materials that have
been added to the course.

My understanding is that lonExpire (found in /etc/httpd/conf/loncapa.conf) is examined during the early morning cleanup job, which by
default runs once a day. I am setting lonExpire to 3600, which means the only sessions not
closed will be those that had activity within one hour of the cleanup, BUT since the job only
runs once a night, it will not affect kids who leave their computer logged in for more than an
hour untouched during the day.

Am I remembering this correctly?

Which script does the lonIDs cleanup? loncron?

Lastly, since my memory is failing me, will any changes to loncapa.conf take hold after the
early morning housekeeping? (is it a loncontrol reload or httpd reload that updates the
parameters?)

Thanks,
Mark

Mark Lucas 								email: lucasm at ohiou.edu
252D Clippinger Lab						phone: (740)597-2984
Department of Physics and Astronomy		fax: (740)593-0433
Ohio University
Athens, OH 45701