[LON-CAPA-admin] Any user account and data migration procedure?

Christian Knieling knieling at kit.edu
Tue Sep 16 09:30:01 EDT 2014

Hi all (probably in particular Stuart),

I've a question regarding to a migration process from an user account to
another one. Let's go into more detail:

The current setup of our LON-CAPA service is that users are 'created
locally in LON-CAPA' and their passwords are checked against a local
LDAP-service by a custom setup of /home/httpd/lib/perl/localauth.pm.

With the new feature of Shibboleth-authentication introduced with LC
version 2.11 I want to switch to it. The problem I see there is that the
user account names will be different. For example, let's say it changes
from user-id 'knieling' to something like 'ab1234'.

Is there any possible migration path to solve this problem? Most of our
files aren't published. The most are just in construction space yet, so
(I imagine) those do not harm. But for some reasons of testing there
exist some published files. How can we migrate them 'the right way'
through? If it is for ourself we do NOT need them, so if it would be
'easier' to remove them somehow, we would agree to that.

Any thoughts or hints on that would be very appreciated.

Greetings
Christian