[LON-CAPA-admin] not a valid domain

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Wed May 28 09:43:01 EDT 2014

Hi,

> Sorry ...
> Error The domain you provided is not a valid LON-CAPA domain.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

This issue has affected most high school domains, including fsuK12 and
domains hosted by ohiou and educog.

The issue here is that when the 5.10 am local time run of loncron ran
today 5/28, the dns_domain.tab retrieved by your servers was
incomplete, because the data retrieved from the selected the LON-CAPA
Academic Consortium "DNS" server was truncated for some reason.

To fix this issue do the following:

1. Use a text editor to comment out the following line:
^dalton.chem.sfu.ca

in /home/httpd/lonTabs/hosts.tab

2. Log-in to LON-CAPA on your server and select the Domain Coordinator
role and use:

Main Menu -> Status of domain servers -> Update Connections and
Refresh Status Information

> Any ideas? The domain is listed in the dns_domain.tab file.

Yes.

The "static" dns_domain.tab (shipped with a LON-CAPA release) is only
consulted in the event that none of the LON-CAPA Academic Consortium
servers (at SFU, Illinois and MSU are contactable).

However, in this case they are contactable, so the information
received from the first contacted -- SFU -- was used, when loading the
domain tables on your server.

Unfortunately, the data returned from that file on the SFU server
appears to be truncated when a request is made for the data from:

https://dalton.chem.sfu.ca/adm/dns/domain

LON-CAPA Acdemic Consortium