[LON-CAPA-admin] Update difficulties

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Thu Jun 19 14:25:06 EDT 2014

Todd,

My guess is that you have included the EPEL repo
(http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/5/) in your enabled repos.

The version of R available from EPEL 5 is R-3.1.0.el5, but the
LON-CAPA CentOS 5 repository (http://install.loncapa.org) has
R-2.13.0-1.el5.

Packages such as R-quadprog available from the LON-CAPA CentOS 5 repo
were built against this older version of R.

When time allows (in the near future) I will look into building
updated R-* packages against R-3.1.0, and testing with LON-CAPA 2.11.0.

If my diagnosis is correct, then one solution for you for now would be to:

(a) temporarily disable use of the epel repo
(b) use:

yum remove R-core

to remove R, R-core, and the other R-* packages, as well as the
LONCAPA-prerequisites rpm

(c) do:
yum install LONCAPA-prerequisites

to re-install R, R-core etc. and the LONCAPA-prerequisites rpm from
the LON-CAPA CentOS 5 repo

(d) re-enable the epel repo
(e) temporarily block update of R and R-core by adding:

exclude=R,R-core

to /etc/yum.conf

Once I have updated the LON-CAPA CentOS repo with newer R-* packages
built against R-3.1.0 you should remove the line: exclude=R,R-core

Stuart Raeburn
LON-CAPA Academic Consortium