[LON-CAPA-admin] Heartbleed?

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Tue Apr 15 08:25:53 EDT 2014

Paul,

According to the CentOS announce list:
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2014-April/020249.html

openssl 1.0.1e-16.el6_5.7 released by CentOS on 4/8 includes the
RedHat fix for the heartbleed bug in the openssl rpm originally
included with CentOS 6.5.

See:
https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2014-0376.html
for details.

> Is there any plan to add 1.0.1g to the repository any time soon?

If you mean LON-CAPA's repository of RPMs for CentOS at:
http://install.loncapa.org/centos/loncapa

then the answer would be no.

I typically only create RPMs in cases where the standard repositories
provided by the Linux distro maintainers do not contain a particular
package which LON-CAPA requires, or there is functionality in a more
recent version of a package than the one provided by the distro which
LON-CAPA requires.

In the case of security fixes the expectation is that the distro
maintainers will patch their own RPMs, as was the case here with the
patch to openssl 1.0.1e on 4/8.

The CentOS maintainers released openssl-1.0.1e-16.el6_5.4.0.1.centos
as a preliminary patch on 4/8 at 02:11 UTC, and then released
openssl-1.0.1e-16.el6_5.7 on 4/8 at 02:55 UTC once the upstream
maintainers (RedHat) had made that available.

Note: the heartbleed bug did not affect CentOS 5 which has:
openssl-0.9.8e-27.el5_10.1.

Stuart Raeburn
LON-CAPA Academic Consortium