[LON-CAPA-admin] cannot edit assessment level spreadsheet

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Tue May 7 16:43:54 EDT 2013

Hi,

> ... Does
> anybody know where the course specific XML files are located so we can track
> down why we've lost the ability to edit them?

Although &output_options() in Spreadsheet.pm has included a commented
out XML format as an output option, since rev 1.33 (Jan 2004), I don't
believe that has ever had the commenting out removed in a production
release, to allow the use of &outsheet_xml() to output the spreadsheet
as XML.

In any event, when spreadsheet source (including cell formulas) is
saved for an assessment-level spreadsheet in <somename>_assesscalc.db
(where <somename> is the name entered in the "Save as" textbox), that
GDBM file will be stored in:

/home/httpd/lonUsers/<domain>/<1>/<2>/<3>/<courseid>

where:
<domain> is course's domain
<1>, <2>, <3> are first, second, and third characters of courseID
<courseid> is the course's number (in LON-CAPA), also known as the course ID
(e.g., 8j12140ee787451eecsml1)

If you have command line access you can use the dump_db.pl utility, e.g.,

/home/httpd/perl/debug/dump_db.pl -u
/home/httpd/lonUsers/<domain>/<1>/<2>/<3>/<courseid>/<somename>_assesscalc.db

to display the content of the GDBM file (-u is the flag to unescape
keys and values).

Similarly, when spreadsheet source (including cell formulas) is saved
for a student-level spreadsheet in <someothername>_studentcalc.db
(where <somename> is the name entered in the "Save as" textbox), that
GDBM file will be stored in:

/home/httpd/lonUsers/<domain>/<1>/<2>/<3>/<courseid>

Cached computations resulting from "generate spreadsheet" are stored
as follows:

(a) For the student level spreadsheets, computed data are "cached" in
the GDBM file:
/home/httpd/lonUsers/<domain>/<1>/<2>/<3>/<courseid>/nohist_calculatedsheets.db

The export rows of the student spreadsheets are saved in the format:

sname:sdom:studentcalc:.time => time
sname:sdom:studentcalc => ___=___Adata___;___Bdata___;___Cdata___;___ .....

(b) For assessment-level spreadsheets, computed data are "cached" in
GDBM files:

(i.e., in in the student's directory)

where:
<sdom> is student's domain
<1>, <2>, <3> are first, second, and third characters of the student's
username
<sname> is the student's username,
<domain> is the course's domain
<courseid> is the course's number (in LON-CAPA), also known as the courseID
(e.g., 8j12140ee787451eecsml1)

The export rows of the assessment spreadsheet are saved in the format:

sname:sdom:assesscalc:symb.time => time
sname:sdom:assesscalc:symb => filename___=___Adata___;___Bdata___;___ ...

where filename is the name of the assessment sheet being used as the
template for the particular assessment.

Stuart Raeburn
MSU LON-CAPA group