[LON-CAPA-admin] loncron count

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Wed Nov 7 18:15:48 EST 2012

James,

> The next set checked is "Delayed Messages".  The N/W/E is then 26/1119/0

In general I would say if the count is from notices and warnings then
I would not be concerned.  The E count (Error count) is the number
which should be a cause for concern, but in this case it is zero, so
no worries there.

Anyway the large increase in the "Warnings" count comes from entries
in the log file:

/home/httpd/perl/logs/lonnet.perm.log

That file is never rotated, and contains a permanent record of certain
types of transaction conditions for the lifetime of your LON-CAPA
installation.

When loncron parses that file the warnings count is incremented by 1
for each line in lonnet.perm.log which contains a record starting:

timestamp:F:server:command details

e.g.,
1351688191:F:scl1:log

These are transactions which were delayed (because connection to the
remote server had been lost), and for which successful writing to a
file containing the incomplete transaction, where the file is named:

timestamp.count.pid.command.server

in the directory:
/home/httpd/sockets/delayed

could not be verified -- i.e., F is for Fail.
(This could occur, for example, if the filesystem on your server was
out of space, or had dropped to read-only mode for some reason).

Note: in the file name: timestamp is UNIX timestamp, count is number,
pid is process ID, command is the command to be executed, server is
the remote server.

It is very unusual for verification to fail. However, in your case
there are 38 such unverified recorded delayed transactions between
10/23/2012 and 10/31/2012.
This is surprising. (Those items will have added 38 to the warnings count).

It is much more common is for the entry in
/home/httpd/perl/logs/lonnet.perm.log for the delayed transaction to
be of the form:

timestamp:D:server:command details

(where D is for Delayed).

These delayed commands will be retried when connection to the remote
server has been re-established.  If the re-trial is successful, there
will be a corresponding entry in
/home/httpd/perl/logs/lonnet.perm.log, of the form:

timestamp:S:server:command details

where the "S" indicates that completion of the delayed transaction was
successful.

In loncron the warnings count in incremented by:
5*$unsend

where $unsend is incremented by 1 for each "D" transaction, and
decremented for each "S" transaction in
/home/httpd/perl/logs/lonnet.perm.log.

The information in the excerpt from your lon_status file written by
loncron indicated:

Total unsend messages: 211
(which would add: 5*211 (i.e., 1055) to the warnings count.

The next section of the lon_status report ("Outgoing buffer") displays
the contents of files in the /home/httpd/sockets/delayed directory

These will be items which were delayed, and have yet to be successfully sent.
Apparently these are all update notifications (presumably for
resources belonging to authors in the sc domain) which, in the past
were copied to remote servers (which left behind a subscription on the
resource's home server -- i.e., your home server).

Looking at the identity of the remote servers, these all look to be
servers which are no longer in use (so connection is never going to be
re-established, and the delayed notifications are never going to be
sent).

Stuart Raeburn
LON-CAPA Academic Consortium