[LON-CAPA-admin] what to use for a lonBalancer

Robert F Gonzales rgonzal at binghamton.edu
Wed Oct 26 16:52:17 EDT 2011

Hi,

How much computing power is recommended for a lonBalancer?

The machine I currently use is an older single core Pentium running at  3.0
GHz with 4 GB of memory.

It generally takes  25-30 seconds from the time I press the “Log in” button
until I get to the screen where I choose what role I want.

My worst case scenario seems to be when there is an online quiz and we have
750 students logging in within a 15 minute period.    Waiting for the roles
screen to appear can be just over 1 minute during this time.

Any suggestions on vendors and/or models is welcome along with suggestions
on CPU and memory configurations.

Thanks,

Bob Gonzales

Binghamton University