[LON-CAPA-admin] Course not re-initializing

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Wed Oct 12 03:54:42 EDT 2011

Hi,

> I have seen it once in 2.10.  I have no idea what I did to make the
> "reinitialize the course" button disappear from the corse edit page,
>  but as you say, logging out and back in (in my case the same
> server)  reinitialized everything fine.

Based on Mark's description, I would say this is different.

In your case, the "Re-initializing the course" button was not
displayed on the Course Editor page, but it was possible for you to
continue working in the same course on the same server (albeit after
logout/log-in).

It seems that in your case state information for the Course Editor
page went missing somehow, such that there was no longer a directive
to include the button when the page was being generated server-side.

My expectation is that re-selecting the course role from the roles
screen would have also solved the issue (in the same way as did
logout/re-login).

In the case Mark described, logout/re-login was insufficient, and the
user need to use a different server. Nightly clean up of stale files
in /home/httpd/perl/tmp on the original 2.9.0 server where the issue
occurred will have eventually returned that server to a state where
the specific user could once again continue working in that specific
course on that specific server.

Stuart Raeburn
MSU LON-CAPA group