[LON-CAPA-admin] Fwd: [LON-CAPA] Stringresponse Grading Discrepancy

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Fri May 27 10:37:58 EDT 2011

Hi,

LON-CAPA 2.10.0.RC2 includes a version of caparesponse.pm which will
send an e-mail to the server administrator should the award status
change for an identical submission for a particular problem part by a
particular student, *just for stringresponse* (this detection was
implemented to identify the cause of the rare bug: 5531; fixed in
2.10.0 final).

Unfortunately the implementation in 2.10.0.RC2 (caparesponse.pm rev
1.243) would report instances where a status change was legitimate
(e.g., when randomizetry was in use).  The version of caparesponse.pm
(rev 1.246) being included in 2.10.0 will not report those types of
false positives.

See bug 6421 in bugs.loncapa.org for more discussion.

However, a reported "changed from EXACT_ANS (submissions: 1) to
INCORRECT;" is definitely worthy of investigation, and I would
recommend looking at the submission history for this particular
problem part for the particular student.

If this turns out to be a false positive then it would be good to know
so the existing detector code can be modified to exclude that type of
transaction.

Stuart Raeburn
MSU LON-CAPA group