[LON-CAPA-admin] Cloning production server for testing purposes

Stefan Bisitz st.bisitz at ostfalia.de
Wed Jul 6 10:02:37 EDT 2011

[06.07.2011 16:02 CEST]

Hi,

To avoid chaos, I want to make sure that my idea works.

I'd like to clone one of our production servers for testing purposes. I
do not need connection to the LON-CAPA cluster but I want to have all
local users, problems and courses as well as the related data.

Is it really okay to "copy" the whole server, configure it as
"standalone" and connect it to the internet? Copy means to process most
of the steps as described on http://loncapa.org/hardwareupgrade.html
which is basically copying the home folder.

Even not connecting it to the internet could mean to have two very
similar servers in the same local network, e.g. domain and host id would
be the same.

Thanks in advance for sharing any doubts,
Stefan Bisitz