[LON-CAPA-admin] ldap authentication

Lars Jensen ljensen at mail.tmcc.edu
Sun Jul 25 17:17:38 EDT 2010

Hi Stuart,

Thanks so much helping out with the switch to LDAP. Of course, all the
existing lon-capa users on schubert are internally authenticated
before. The question is how to swich them over. We also have another
change made to all of out students because the college is switching
student management system from SIS to Peoplesoft. As a result, every
single student has been assigned a new student-ID. (The usernames of
almost all students are unchanged during this change.) In other words,
I need to change both the authentication type and the student-ID in
loncapa. My questions have to do how to do this. In a previous email,
you outlined two methods for switching users to ldap (see below). The
problem is that none of these are good when a change of the student-ID
is involved.

Is there a way to have lon-capa re-read/update the student id of an
existing user from the ldap server, much like loncapa auto-fill the
student-ID of a new user upon first login? If all the student-ID's of
existing users are changed to blanks, will lon-capa update them from
the ldap server once the user has been changed to local
authentication?

Thanks,
Lars.