[LON-CAPA-admin] LON-CAPA Version 2.9.1
mstanger at sfu.ca
Thu Dec 2 23:33:42 EST 2010
I'm currently migrating our LON-CAPA access servers to new hardware and OS (from Suse -> RHEL). Our OS group is starting to deploy RedHat EL version 6 on new VMs.
I haven't seen mention of RHEL 6.0 support for LON-CAPA: should I assume that RHEL 6.0 is not supported at this time and be staying with a RHEL 5.x release for our new access servers?
Thank you in advance.
Simon Fraser University
----- Original Message -----
From: "Stuart Raeburn" <raeburn at msu.edu>
To: lon-capa-admin at mail.lon-capa.org
Sent: Sunday, November 21, 2010 8:50:54 PM
Subject: [LON-CAPA-admin] LON-CAPA Version 2.9.1
New Version 2.9.1 Released
This is primarily a bug fix release.
It is recommended to update 2.9.0 installations to 2.9.1.
Changes from 2.9.0
- Course catalog: display of subcategory names containing spaces
- Browser detection updated for IE for consistency in charset used
for rendering symbols with TeX-to-HTML (TTH).
- Remove HTML tags and decode HTML Entities in message excerpt
sent as e-mail, (unless user preference set to retain HTML tags),
and encode in utf8 before sending.
- Ability to post to discussion based on "discussend" parameter
takes precedence over the ability to post based on problem's open
status for student.
- Description for roles-based and user-based course-wide blocking of
discussion or chat no longer reversed in course settings interface.
- Resource-specific parameter for discussend setting (closes discussion)
applies to standalone boards (i.e., those not associated with homework).
- "Edit this resource" link shown on all servers belonging to domain of
resource, if user has author/co-author privileges for resource.
- Restriction of a slot to use with specific resource now works correctly.
- Speed-up in processing enrollment of users from an uploaded CSV file.
- Leading and trailing spaces trimmed from email, domain,
institutional status and username entries from uploaded CSV file.
- Reverse association for columns in file of users works again.
- Improvements in feedback when enrolling from CSV file if institutional
rules for format of usernames and/or studentIDs prevent user creation.
- Names of users affected by bulk access date changes made with
"Manage Users" utility displayed correctly.
- Automated adds and automated drops settings stored correctly for
- Display when changing parameters in table mode rendered correctly.
- Course Coordinator can now use the role switcher to change to a role
in cases where the user's own assigned roles include an expired role
of the same type/section in the course.
- If user has advanced role (and hence discussion is always open),
note appended to discussion link, if discussion is closed for
- Publication of raw XML files (i.e., with .xml extension) allowed again.
- Warning that alt-tag is still output, even for encrypted URLs;
- Can assign a co-author role to a username containing an underscore.
- Updates to problem templates (Custom Response, and plot data) to:
(respectively) extend recognized number types, and limit execution time.
- TeX errors eliminated when printing .sequence files with answers
(or only answers) from Construction Space.
- TeX errors eliminated when printing HTML tables created dynamically
within a script block.
- Table border settings now enforced when printing tables.
- Text in table cells with align="right" attribute kept vertically aligned.
- Support restored for the TeXwidth attribute in <td> tags.
- TeX errors eliminated when generating printouts with answers only,
or in a composite page.
- Printing of folders containing simplepage(s) works again.
- Domain Coordinator can override course-specific cloning rights.
- Selection of clonable courses based on wildcard within a specific domain
- When ad hoc co-author access acquired via "Edit resource' in a course,
original role context is preserved.
- Display of roles in hot list for Domain Coordinator readability restored.
- Auto-creation of courses via command line call with arguments
(legacy method) works again.
- Domain Coordinators can filter courses by creation time when selecting
- Warning displayed if clone selection is attempted when no course
- Domain Coordinator can display cloning information in course
- Changes to reduce the incidence of timeouts when large amounts
of data are sent between LON-CAPA machines across the network.
- Frequency/times for new entries being added to lonapa cron now saved
- Improvements to filtering for Community roles when assembling roles
supported on LON-CAPA version installed on server hosting user's session.
- Scientific Linux version checking for updates to RPMs works again.
- Processing of requests for creation of official courses queued pending
automatic validation of instructor status now supported.
- New translations and improvements for Spanish interface.
Specific bug/enhancement request numbers addressed in this release:
2703, 5372, 5435, 6067, 6175, 6233, 6288, 6242, 6294, 6295, 6300, 6301, 6304,
6312, 6313, 6317, 6331, 6332, 6335, 6363, 6366, 6373, 6378, 6381
To use this release you need to have version 1-18 of LONCAPA-prerequisites
installed. (This is the same version as required for LON-CAPA 2.9.0).
To install this update:
1) You will need to be running Fedora Core 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 or 12,
RHEL (AS|ES) 4 or 5, SUSE 10.2, 10.3, 11.1 or 11.2, SLES 10 or 11,
CentOS 5, or Scientific Linux 5.
(Fedora Core 5 should continue to work but is deprecated.)
2) Update LONCAPA-prerequisites to 1-18 if necessary.
(b) Red Hat Enterprise 4
up2date -u LONCAPA-prerequisites
(c) Red Hat 5/Centos 5/Scientific Linux 5
Use yast-> Installation Source to refresh the LON-CAPA repository
Use yast->Software Management->Search to update LONCAPA-prerequisites
On all distributions, it is recommended that you check that you have
the correct versions of LONCAPA-prerequisites installed before proceeding.
rpm -q LONCAPA-prerequisites
(where X is a distro identifier e.g., fc12.lc)
3) Download the new LON-CAPA tarball from
and untar it
tar xzf loncapa-2.9.1.tar.gz
4) stop the LON-CAPA system services
5) stop the web server:
SUSE 10.2,10.3,11.1,11.2/SLES 10,11:
6) Run the UPDATE script as root
7) restart the LON-CAPA system services
8) restart the web server:
SUSE 10.2,10.3,11.1,11.2/SLES 10,11:
1) Many questions are answered at http://help.lon-capa.org
2) Defects reports, and enhancements requests can be entered at
3) Mailing lists can be joined and left at http://mail.lon-capa.org
LON-CAPA Academic Consortium
LON-CAPA-admin mailing list
LON-CAPA-admin at mail.lon-capa.org
More information about the LON-CAPA-admin