[LON-CAPA-admin] server not forwarding to regular email

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Fri Sep 25 16:23:34 EDT 2009

Lars,

> (a) any configuration on the lon-capa server is needed to make email
>  forwarding work?

There is no configuration needed on the LON-CAPA side.  You need to
have a MTA such as sendmail installed and able to forward messages for
external recipients.  I would expect CentOS would include sendmail by
default in a minimal install.

What does:

rpm -q sendmail

report?

> (b) any system services that are critical for email forwarding to
> work? (Perhaps I inadvertantly turned off a needed service?)
>
> email forwarding is not working on our server, and I'm not sure how
> to troubleshoot the issue....

I would recommend taking LON-CAPA out of the equation and starting by
seeing what happens when you send e-mail to an external e-mail account
from the command line on schubert.tmcc.edu

What does:

mail -v ljensen at mail.tmcc.edu
Subject: test
This is the message.
Now I'm done
.

report?

I assume you are using sendmail

What does:

ps aux |grep sendmail

report?

Running host -t MX mail.tmcc.edu to retrieve the MX record for
mail.tmcc.edu suggests that googlemail provides mail service for this
domain.

You could check if access to the SMTP port (25) of the mail servers
which handle mail for mail.tmcc.edu is being blocked somewhere between
your server and the mail server e.g.,

telnet aspmx2.googlemail.com 25

If this is not a firewall issue you may need to use a text editor to
edit /etc/mail/sendmail.mc

then use:

m4 /etc/mail/sendmail.mc > /etc/sendmail.cf

to regenerate the sendmail configuration file.
By default sendmail should be configured to only send and receive mail
within your local network.

This is set by the following line in /etc/mail/sendmail.mc

DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl

Stuart Raeburn
MSU LON_CAPA group