[LON-CAPA-admin] Userstatus and Cookie Information

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Fri May 15 11:52:41 EDT 2009

Mark,

> This may have gone by and I missed it, but I'm having troubles accessing
> the status pages, such as userstatus.pl. It complains
>
> "Your Cookie Information is Incorrect" my servers.

Sorry you ran into this unexpectedly.

Yes, this was a 2.8 change, designed to address privacy concerns.

In 2.8, to use userstatus.pl on servers in your domain, you now either
have to have an active LON-CAPA session, (and you need to have
privileges to use the utility), _or_ you have to have configured your
domain to allow access to this utility from the IP address of your
machine (in which case no LON-CAPA session is needed, and direct
access to the URL is permitted).

DCs automatically have access to userstatus.pl for servers in their
domain (when logged in). A Domain Coordinator's Main Menu includes a
"Status of domain servers" item which links to a number of utilities
which provide server status
information.

For direct access (without log-in), as DC you need to configure
IP-based access for your domain.

Main Menu -> Set domain configuratuiion -> Access to server status pages

Save the IP address(es) of your machine(s) for the appropriate service
(User Status Summary) in the Specific IPs column.

The formerly used access control for userstatus.pl (and related pages)
- Apache Basic Auth - has been retired.

For more information, see the Domain Coordination/Domain Settings
section of the  2.8 release notes/announcement:

http://mail.lon-capa.org/pipermail/lon-capa-admin/2009-January/002153.html

Stuart Raeburn
MSU LON-CAPA group