[LON-CAPA-admin] Some questions

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Fri Jan 23 10:45:53 EST 2009

Eric,

Question 1:

If a particular student is already enrolled in a course, currently the
auto-enrollment process will only modify the user if:

(a) The student was "manually" enrolled in the course (in this case,
type gets changed from "manual" to auto)

or

(b) The student switched sections.

In either (a) or (b), differences between any of: first name, last
name, middle name, or permanent e-mail address will result in an
update of the data stored centrally in LON-CAPA (and also in the
LON-CAPA course roster for the specific course) to match the values
included for the student in the course roster XML file. Note: if the
same student is also enrolled in other courses in LON-CAPA, user
information such as first name will _not_ be updated in the rosters
for those other courses.  This is a feature requested by instructors.

If user information was changed you'll see a message in
/home/httpd/perl/logs/autoenroll.log:
"User information updated for user: $username prior to enrollment."

If the user is not enrolled in the course then enrollment will occur
and user information will be updated centrally in the system (if the
user already exists in LON-CAPA, and there is a mismatch between
information in the system and information in the course roster XML
file).

If you want to keep user information (first name, middle name, last
name etc.) for students synchronized across all course rosters, you'll
need to use the Autoupdate feature.  The Domain Coordinator has fairly
granular control over which types of user information is updated, and
for which types of institutional user (e'g., faculty, staff or
students).  However, to use Autoupdate,
/home/httpd/lib/perl/localenroll.pm needs to be customized to (a)
define institutional types, and (b) establish a conduit to
institutional directory information (of which LDAP is one example).  I
can assist with this on request.

Question 2:

The web form on the log-in page does not impose a character length on
passwords, and  neither does the client-side encryption mechanism.  In
practice, there is a limit for internally authenticated users, but for
Kerberos or locally authenticated users this is not the case (unless
those systems themselves impose constraints).  As VCU is using local
authentication (via an interface to LDAP) there would not be a
character limit from the LON-CAPA side.

Stuart Raeburn
MSU LON-CAPA group