[LON-CAPA-admin] scantron format

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Wed Dec 16 09:13:03 EST 2009

Jim,

> Is there a way to enter a line in scantronformat.tab so that it can
> cope with variable length fields?

No, not currently.

LON-CAPA currently extracts data from bubblesheet ("scantron") records
based on column position.  As you indicate, the current structure of
the scantronformat.tab file is a colon separated list of column
positions, column lengths, and in the case of Qon and Qoff - the
character(s) (or types) used for bubbled versus unbubbled.

> Or is there an easier way to deal with this.

The LON-CAPA code used to grade scantron records will be modified to
support an alternative CSV data format.  Until such time as this
enhancement is available in a LON-CAPA release, as Domain Coordinator
you might want to consider assigning LON-CAPA's "Scantron Operator"
role to a staff person in the office responsible for processing
scantron sheets at your university, and have that office run a custom
script over a CSV file extracted from the Excel file output from
ParScore for any LON-CAPA courses, before uploading the resulting
scantron data file to LON-CAPA.  A custom script would need to written
to convert the CSV data to a column position-based format.

The "Scantron Operator" role has rights to upload scantron data files
to course(s) in the domain.  Under this scheme neither you nor faculty
would need to be involved in the manipulation of scantron data to
satisfy format requirements, as they exist in LON-CAPA today.

Stuart Raeburn
MSU LON-CAPA group