[LON-CAPA-admin] Post Server Announcements (error: 13)

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Wed Aug 12 22:14:33 EDT 2009

Paul,

This is an OS error code (13 is  Permission denied) which is reported
by IO::File->new() when lond attempted to write to:

/home/httpd/html/announcement.txt on the ndsua1 server.

What are the ownership/permissions on this file and the
/home/httpd/html directory?

They should be:

drwxr-xr-x   www  www   .
-rw-r--r--   www  www   announcement.txt

Looking at the LON-CAPA code it appears that nothing is logged if the
result of the call to IO::File->new() is anything other than true,
although the OS error code is returned and displayed by
/adm/announcements (as you reported).

Stuart Raeburn
MSU LON-CAPA group
helpdesk at loncapa.org