[LON-CAPA-admin] Domain coordinator can't clone course

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Wed Aug 12 20:23:04 EDT 2009

Lars,

> Any ideas why this might happen, and how to fix it greatly
> appreciated. We're running v. 2.8.1.

It is possible that the course description stored for the course is
out of sync with the course description stored in the courseIDs .db
file which LON-CAPA uses to aggregate information about courses in the
domain (to provide more efficient look-ups), for example for the "Pick
Course" pop-up when when selecting a course to clone.  As a result you
may not be seeing the course listed by the description you expect (I
know of one other similar reported case).

One way to resolve this, (if that is the problem), is to select a CC
role in the course which you want to clone from, then  use "Modify
Parameter Settings" -> "Set Course Environment" to change the
description so it'll be distinctive.  You can change the title back
again later.

Then when you become DC and next open the "Pick Course" window by
clicking the "Select Course" link in the cloning table in the course
creation page, you should find that the course description has been
updated so you can locate the course.

If that does not work you can also get the LON-CAPA courseID from "Set
Course environment" page from the textbox for the "Top Level Map"
(assuming this is a standard course).

The URL for the top level map might look like:
uploaded/tmcc/4j66301b841af472etmccl1/default.sequence

where 4j66301b841af472etmccl1 is the unique courseID which you could
copy and paste directly into the CourseID textbox in the "Clone an
existing course" course table in the course creation page.

Stuart Raeburn
MSU LON-CAPA group
helpdesk at loncapa.org