[LON-CAPA-admin] Reloading spare.tab

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Thu Sep 11 21:34:31 EDT 2008

Mark,

Yes it does.

spare.tab is read within the BEGIN block in lonnet.pm which results in
population of the %spareid hash (a global).

lonnet::spareserver() is the routine which makes use of %spareid to
determine which servers to try.  It tries any servers designated as
"primary" first, and identifies the one with the lowest load.  This is
the server it will return unless the lowest load is 100 or more, in
which case it will try the servers designated as "default", and
identify the server with the lowest load from that group.  That is the
server it will return unless the lowest load in the "default" group is
higher than the lowest load in the "primary" group.

lonnet:;spareserver() is called by lonlogin.pm -- to allow an
overloaded server to send users hoping to log-in to LON-CAPA via that
particular server to another  machine to host the user sessions), and
also by switchserver.pm -- to load balance after successful
authentication when:

PerlSetVar lonBalancer yes

appears in the Apache config files for the server.

As these operations rely on the contents of the global %spareid hash
for the particular Apache child, /etc/init.d/httpd reload is
sufficient as that reloads all of the Apache children.

Stuart Raeburn
MSU LON-CAPA group