[LON-CAPA-admin] yum update

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Mon Jul 14 08:00:59 EDT 2008

Hi,

The runtime used by maxima varies between the different Linux
distributions (Fedora, Red Hat, SuSE). The strategy taken with
LON-CAPA has generally been to include the dependency on maxima alone
in LONCAPA-prerequisites, and pass off the responsibility for the
maxima runtime dependency (and any lisp dependency) to the maxima rpm
shipped for a particular distribution.

In some cases (e.g., Red Hat 4 AS/ES) a maxima package is not included
in the standard rpms available for the distribution so one was built,
and added to the appropriate repository on the install.loncapa.org site.

When I last checked the maxima runtimes used by the differesnt distros
were as follows:

Red Hat 4: maxima-exec-gcl
Red Hat 5/Centos 5/Scientific Linux 5:  maxima-runtime-sbcl
Fedora 5/6/7 maxima-runtime-gcl
SuSE10.X/SLES9/SLES10: maxima-exec-clisp

Apparently with its latest update to maxima 5.15, Fedora 8 switched
from using maxima-runtime-gcl to maxima-runtime-sbcl.  Unfortunately
the packagers didn't implement a strategy to prevent the old
maxima-runtime-gcl dependency from causing a "failed dependency error"
when performing a yum update.

On Fedora 8 I did:

rpm -e --nodeps maxima-runtime-gcl maxima
yum install maxima

to solve this.

If you want to prevent maxima changes being picked up by yum on
Fedora/RHEL5/Centos5/ScientificLinux5 in the future you can add the
following to /etc/yum.conf

exclude=maxima*

If maxima has been updated and you want to test that LON-CAPA is still
able to operate successfully with it via the lonmaxima daemon, a new
problem can be created in Construction Space using either the
mathresponse or formularesponse templates (with CAS).

Stuart Raeburn
MSU LON-CAPA group