[LON-CAPA-admin] Fedora to CentOS?

Neubauer, Paul R. pneubauer at bsu.edu
Wed Jan 2 13:10:25 EST 2008

Thanks All!  I appreciate all the help I can get. :-)

Oh, and I'm sorry about the multipart posting to a plain-text list. I
think I have it turned off this time. (Microsoft Outlook is not known
for playing nice. :-( )

Gerd: Thanks. I'll watch for a report of how that goes.

Mark: Both parts of your report are good to hear. The jury is not in
yet, but I think I'm probably leaning toward recommending that we go the
CentOS route, then. It seems cleaner that way. The RHEL instructions at
http://install.lon-capa.org/RHEL5_install.html look like what I'd
expect. If we do go this route, I'll remember to ask for the CentOS
version of yum.conf beforehand. It's also nice to hear from a known
person who has installed Fedora 8 without a DVD. I'm still not sure how
wise it would be to do that on a box where we have known hardware issues
(the RAID array), but we do have spare boxes and I can borrow a DL380
for a couple of days ahead of time to confirm that our chosen approach
will work, so I'm not too queasy about the possibility.

Mike: That's a very generous offer. I don't actually think I'll need to
take you up on it, though. Fortunately, some of our server hardware guys
are pretty sure that we can boot the box off an external DVD drive, and
we do have some of those, so if we decide to go that route I should be
able to test that on a spare box and confirm it. I am very glad to hear
that compatible DVD drives exist, in any case. I had not yet checked on
that. I think the external drive option ought to cover it for now, but I
really appreciate the kindness of your offer.

I guess that about covers it for the moment. I've still got homework to
do, but the prospects sound encouraging.

Thanks again!

Paul