[LON-CAPA-admin] server migration

Guy Albertelli II guy at albertelli.com
Tue Sep 4 14:00:23 EDT 2007

Hi Lars,

> We're in the process of migrating our server to a new suse server. We
> ran FC 3 on the old server. I have installed the OS, and all the loncapa
> prerequisites, and dependencies. I have also transferred /home/httpd
> from the old server, and run UPDATE. Finally I have manually created two
> user accounts on the new server, using the same usernames as on the old
> server,one for the DC, and an instructor account for myself. I did not
> transfer any passwd or group files because I wasn't sure whether it
> would cause issues with the uid's and gid's. Do I need to do this? When
> I login as with the dc username, I get "Currently no active roles or
> courses"

My guess is the new hardware is a 64-bit x86 processor and the old was
a 32 bit, there is a neccessary data transformation that is needed.

> Is there any documentation anywhere on server migration?

http://www.loncapa.org/hardwareupgrade.html

It is full step-by step instructions to the process.

Let me know if that helps out.

--
guy at albertelli.com   0-7-0-9-27,137