[LON-CAPA-admin] 2.4.0 Maxima issues

Stefan Bisitz st.bisitz at fh-wolfenbuettel.de
Tue Jun 12 11:10:40 EDT 2007

Hi there,

> New Version 2.4.0
> - computer algebra system maxima available to homeowkr problems,
>    - added tags <mathresponse> <mathhint> to use maxima for grading
>    - <formularesponse> without sample points uses maxima to grade formulas

Happy to read this but this doesn't work on our server :-(

We installed LON-CAPA 2.4.0 on our Fedora 5 server and checked the new
problem templates. All these problems which use maxima are NOT working:

1) Formula Response using Computer Algebra System:
ERROR:Computer's answer is incorrect ("5*a*x^4").

2) Formula Response using Computer Algebra System and Hints:
ERROR:Computer's answer is incorrect ("16t^3,42t^6").

3) Math Response using Computer Algebra System and Hints:
Enter "x"
Feedback message: "Unable to understand formula"

Maxima details (called maxima via shell):
Maxima 5.11.0 http://maxima.sourceforge.net
Using Lisp GNU Common Lisp (GCL) GCL 2.6.7 (aka GCL)

We are concerned that the old issues with wrong lisp version, Expect.pm
etc. still might exist.
What do you think? What do you know?

Stefan Bisitz and Peter Riegler