[LON-CAPA-admin] Authentication method for Domain Coordinators

Stefan Bisitz st.bisitz at fh-wolfenbuettel.de
Tue Jul 31 10:14:41 EDT 2007

Hi,

I've troubles with Domain Coordinator authentication on a new server
(FC5, 64 bit, LON-CAPA 2.4.2). I have created a DC and logged in
successfully. Then, I added author role. From then on "Filesystem
Authenticated" was not anymore possible. I changed to "Internally
Authenticated".

I remember that Guy Albertelli II said a quite long time ago, that it is
not anymore necessary to have users with filesystem authentication.
Well, why are DCs "Filesystem Authenticated" by default? Are there any
conflicts between the privilegs for DCs and AUs? Can I keep the DC with
"Internally authenticated"?

Stefan Bisitz

Whoever is interested in the details what I have done and what went wrong:

- Install and configure new server
- Create two Domain Coordinators (let's call them DC #1 and DC #2)
- Login as DC #1
- ...
- Logoff

- Login as DC #1
(Everything fine so far)
- "Create a user or modify the roles and privileges of a user"
- user: DC #1
- Add role "Author"
- Click "Modify User"

I haven't watched carfully enough, if there were any error message
afterwards.

- Logoff
- Login as DC #1 -> fails: "Sorry, ..."

- Login as DC #2
- "Create a user or modify the roles and privileges of a user"
- user: DC #1

The authentication method of DC #1 is set to "Local Authentication" -
seemed to have changed automatically.

- Change authentication method to "Internally authenticated" -> ok

- Change to "Filesystem Authenticated" -> fails:
"Modifying authentication: error: lcuseradd_failed:lcuseradd User
already exists"

"Internally authenticated" is still set.

----