[LON-CAPA-admin] high server load on new machine

Guy Albertelli II guy at albertelli.com
Fri Jan 12 14:07:26 EST 2007

Hi Stefan,

> We have installed LON-CAPA 2.3.0 on our brand new machine. No users are
> logged in and no additional processes are running. top shows 98-99% free
> ressources and everything in best condition, but LON-CAPA displays a
> constant server load of 40-45% since a lot of hours now. Restarting
> httpd/apache and loncontrol has no effect on this.
>
> It would be interesting to know how the server load is calculated.

The lon-capa load is based off the 'loadavg' number.
In top this is the number in the upper right hand corner.

load is calculated by counting the number of processes that are ready
to be scheduled whenever the scheduler runs.

The default setting for lon-capa is to call a machine with a loadavg
of 2 to be 100% busy.

You may want to adjust that number.

> Does anybody have an idea for this strange behaviour? We would like to
> find out next week. Any hints are welcome.

This kind of behaviour (high load with no busy processes) is usually
du to resource contention. (there is a process that keeps getting
scheduled finding it can't get at the data it needs and then sleeping
until the scheduler comes around again)

Without more info or access I'll be unable to tell you much more.
--
guy at albertelli.com   0-7-1-6-27,137