[LON-CAPA-admin] Server Migration

Stefan Bisitz st.bisitz at fh-wolfenbuettel.de
Wed Feb 7 08:40:57 EST 2007

Guy Albertelli II wrote:

> > Furthermore, this new user could not log in. Only because of the
> successful
> > transfer from the old to new machine, we could login with an old
> (local
> > authenticated) domain coordinator and change the authentication
> method to
> > "Internally authenticated".
> >

> > 2) password encryption
> > I was told, that standard encryption method for SLES9 user
> passwords is "crypt",
> > but for FC5 is "md5".
>
> This would be why 'filesystem authenticated' failed.

http://www.lon-capa.org/hardwareupgrade.html
[...]
> Warning: this does not work if you go from Fedora to SUSE
>or vice versa, since these distributions use different
> encryption algorithms. If you switch distributions, you
> need to make the file-system-based LON-CAPA users from
> the command line.
[...]

Hi Guy,

I'm still confused with LON-CAPA's login rejection of the new DC:
After the transfer, I created a brand new DC on the new server. This
user is filesystem authenticated (by default). Why is it impossible for
this user to login? This doesn't make sense to me. The user is new, so I
do not expect any conflicts caused by the different password encryptions.

Stefan