[LON-CAPA-admin] Server Migration

Stefan Bisitz st.bisitz at fh-wolfenbuettel.de
Mon Feb 5 12:45:41 EST 2007

Hi,

In the last days, we have solved some issues with the migration of our server. Two
questions are left at the moment:

1) filesystem authentication
I remember that Guy wrote someday, that users with filesystem authentication make
no sense nowadays. I wonder, that a new domain coordinator is filesystem
authenticated by default. We created this user as described in the install help
from the LON-CAPA homepage.

Furthermore, this new user could not log in. Only because of the successful
transfer from the old to new machine, we could login with an old (local
authenticated) domain coordinator and change the authentication method to
"Internally authenticated".

2) password encryption
I was told, that standard encryption method for SLES9 user passwords is "crypt",
but for FC5 is "md5". We found out, that a transfered domain coordinator with
internal authentication could not login. All users with the other combinations of
"internally authenticatied"/"local authenticated" and DC/no DC were able to log
in.
Another DC changed the password for the new DC. After that, the login was
possible. I am not sure, if the encryption difference is the real reason for this.
If so, it seems that some info about this should be added to the
new-server-website.

Stefan