[LON-CAPA-admin] lonBalancer and SSO

H. K. Ng hkng at fsu.edu
Wed Aug 8 07:44:24 EDT 2007

Hi Guy,

>PerlSetVar lonBalancer yes
>
>Then that machine will authenticate but after that will switch server
>the user to a machine in spare.tab (you can setup 2 classes of servers
>'primary' and 'default' where it will offload to primary servers until
>they are all over 100% utilization and then it will start sending to
>'default'

How does one specify the primary and default servers? Is it

fsua1:primary
fsua2:default

> > I know that /adm/login will bring up the regular login and /adm/roles (or
> > also just the machine url) will bring up SSO. I'm presuming the best route
> > will be to point all activity to the balancing machine.
>
>Yes, that is what we do here, and since the machine never hosts
>sessions it will always be able to auth and then offload to who ever
>isn't busy. (And since all it is doing is auth it can be the oldest
>slowest machine you have)

One comment about the lonbalancer server, it should also be the most
"stable". My lonbalancer quit a couple of times last semester. I
thought of having a standby server that pings the lonbalancer every
minute and if it is not running, switch the standby server to the
lonbalancer configurations automatically. Have some ideas how to do
this but would like some professional suggestions.

Thanks,
-hk